Where do You Want to Retire... and Why?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Mikie, Aug 10, 2016.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Not sure if I have replied to this before or not.
    Me, I want to retire in South OC; where I live right now. Close to the beach, close to MTB trails and good road riding. Sadly, Seizure World is almost getting inviting.
    My wife wants to retire to Napa County. Waaay too expensive. Sonoma County might work out better. Other than a cold ocean, would not be too bad. Other than leaving friends of 20-30 years and having to find new friends; not a bad option.
    My main thing is if we can use our condo equity to pay for most or all of our next place then we could probably do OK in retirement.

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Keep in mind the retiree property tax thingie - I can't remember the prop number - that allows you to take your current property tax amount to a new property of equal or lesser value in a reciprocating county. Because if you're gonna stay in CA, them property taxes are of paramount importance.

3. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I don't see retiring to a higher value, and I seem to remember that OC doesn't fit with others.

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  4. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    It’s prop 90, most of the southern CA and silicon valley counties participate, as does Tuolomne.

Sadly, El Dorado county no longer participates, otherwise it would be my #1 choice for retirement.

5. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Ah how quickly time flies...

Another year, another massive California income tax increase.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Steamboat Springs CO (at the moment). But I doubt that will happen, and it will depend a lot on what our 10 yo does after high school.

Oh - why? Small vibrant community, great skiing and mt. biking (plus much more), remote enough to not have the Denver weekend crowds. 4 legitimate seasons. Friends already live there. Resort is separate from the town. A river runs through it...

7. jimbowho

jimbowho Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor 29r
    Got excited when I read ^ that. Sadly its a bit far. My "real" playground will be Colorado Springs. Apparently a cornucopia of trails to seek out. Five hours away from the flatland in KS. My bucket list is short, go figure out the pikes peak trail 7000 ft' drop to the bottom.:confused::thumbsup: My front yard last year, kinda takes the fun out of hunting.

Turkeys.jpg

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    I lived in C Springs from 1987-1993. Started Mt biking there. Palmer Park was an awesome in-town techy treat. I am sure Mt biking has expanded greatly in the 27 years since then.

9. jimbowho

jimbowho Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor 29r
    From what if read its a Mecca! My buddy lives there is retired & can't ride anymore, but I'll stay there and annoy him until he makes me go home. How much snow Herz????

10. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Found your place, and one for mikie.

11. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    One of my regular riding friends told me today he's moving to Austin. In less than two weeks.....im like WTF....how'd you keep that secret?

Another good friend moved to Rogue river Oregon about a year ago.

A lot of folks are leaving calif....at this rate a lot of my long term friends will be gone.

12. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    One more of these from an area that’s under consideration in my household. This realtor’s video guy is incredible, it’s basically half HGTV and half David Attenborough.

Mikie, pperrelle, scan and 2 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Most years C Springs only gets sporadic snowstorms of 2-6" followed by days of clear weather. Snow usually melts between storms and doesn't continuously pile up. There's usually a solid two-week deep freeze somewhere during the winter, but CO Front Range winters ain't nothing compared to the midwest, Great Lakes regions. But it can get windy, drifty and downright blizzardy at times, however, you will see the sun more often than you won't.

Mikie, jimbowho and Cyclotourist like this.
  14. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    How do you fly into Steamboat, Denver?

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  15. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick