Where do You Want to Retire... and Why?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Mikie, Aug 10, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    This is classic, the San Angelo Fault and the new Costa Del Lex. I am getting a place in Otisburg, "Its a little place"

2. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Big bear or somewhere in woodsy AZ

Smell of fresh air and true seasons and outdoor activities...

3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
  4. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    What exactly is "natural amenities" supposed to mean? There's a whole lotta dark(er) green in places of CA that I wouldn't live in for free. I'm mostly like @SnakeCharmer in that I want less people, less traffic, yada, yada, but I don't care about fishing....

5. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I don’t know...a house on a half acre for $150,000 probably sounded pretty good, especially if you’re welcomed to town with a parade. I like visiting DC but I can see it wearing on me pretty quickly. The commutes there make OC seem reasonable.

6. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/41047/13201_aer781.pdf?v=360.5
    For rural counties, the report found strong correlation between Population growth and the following:
    January temps
    Amount of January sun
    Mild summer temps
    Summer humidity
    Topography
    water acreage

the index collects these 6 features into one score. They did not attempt to correlate population growth of metro areas to this index.

You can download their spreadsheet and change the weighting if you like. Or add another variable that suits your tastes.

7. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Thanks....no wonder Big Pine looks so good :D

8. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    This was in the WSJ today. NZ citizens are going home to escape the ‘rona:

“New Zealand said it would start testing asymptomatic border-control workers and aircrews as thousands of citizens return from global hot spots. The number of people returning to the country from overseas doubled since last month, with some 4,200 people in quarantine—close to the limits of government-run facilities.”

9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    The bigger question might be "why were so many Kiwis abroad in the first place?"

10. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    The median income in New Zealand is US$16.50/hr.

11. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    That’s why it’s a place to Retire.

12. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    So, how do they afford to travel?

NZ here I come!!!

tenor.gif

13. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    on work visas?

14. Walleye

Walleye Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bill P.
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX7
    What, now? There's STILL a Reader's Digest? By cracky, the world's gonna be okay!
    old man rocking chair.jpeg

Redman, tick, Old&InTheWay and 5 others like this.
  15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    My question was the really short, no need to articulate version of, "why did they leave?" What was so horribly wrong with New Zealand that so many of its citizens would depart for greener pastures? What was going on at home that they felt it necessary to go elsewhere to be successful....

In short, why were so many Kiwis abroad in the first place?

16. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Highly ag-based economy without a critical mass of folks to anchor another industry besides tourism.

far from the global trade routes, so it’s hard to be a manufacturing Base (Taiwan) or entrepôt hub (Singapore).

I haven’t looked but I’m guessing it’s not a mining powerhouse like Australia.

farm populations have dwindled worldwide and there isn’t enough opportunity to justify the expense of Wellington or Auckland.

Just a guess.

17. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
  18. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I'm here in Prescott meeting with the builder of our next house. EVERY Californian I've talked to at our hotel or coffee shop next door is either looking for property or looking for a builder. All of them have been my age or older as far as I can tell. None of them appear to be "active" types but (2) of them own classic cars and were wearing shirts related to the hobby.

bvader, Sasquatch9billion and Mikie like this.
  19. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Sasquatch9billion and Mikie like this.
  20. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    We do have a native Kiwi expat here... he may/May not chime in.

Sasquatch9billion and Mikie like this.
  21. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Thought I had posted this earlier....

I don't think it has much to do with their economy. They have strong agriculture and forestry sectors as well as mining and fishing. Makes sense they would produce as much as possible rather than import at great expense.

Lots of Kiwis, Aussies and Brits to do a round the world trip before or after university. I'm sure a lot of them end up staying somewhere along the way. *Cough*, Whistler, *Cough*. With an educated population it's also easy for them to live and work in many other Commonwealth countries. Everyone wants to travel. When you can live and work elsewhere, that makes travelling easy.

There are Americans living all over the world too. I guess that's because our economy sucks?

22. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Bingo

Walleye likes this.
  23. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  24. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Better late than never!! :laugh: I'm not the usual type that leaves NZ. I left because of a girl.
    Firstly kiwis generally seem to be pre-disposed to the idea of travelling.
    A lot of kiwis leave to go to Australia. NZ has always been seen as the poorer sibling, especially in terms of employment opportunities. The two countries used to have a fairly amicable immigration agreement but that got abused to an extent. You got on a plane, flew to the other country and declared you were now living there, job done. Unfortunately a lot did that from NZ to Australia landing in Brisbane heading straight for the beach and going straight on the dole (unemployment benefit). They had no inclination to work when the dole was so good so just sponged off the government. Resentment grew so the Aussies started clamping down. Slowly over time they've eroded so many of the agreement that now kiwis are probably treated worse than other immigrants when arriving legitimately in the country. When I left the annual drain of 20-35 year olds was about 100k p/a, now in recent times the shift from NZ to Aus actually reversed, with even Aussies making the move to NZ and not just kiwis returning.
    As mentioned earlier its quite traditional for kiwis to go on OE (Overseas Experience), finish school or University and go travelling for a couple of years. I don't know if it still exists but it was quite easy for kiwis to get a two year working visa in the UK for example so a lot would go there and travel Europe. I did that at a later age than most, just forgot to go home after my 2 years!
    Employment / work opportunities in NZ aren't that vast. The main stuff is agricultural / horticultural or tourism based generally. I couldn't do what I did in Aus, UK or here in the US (which is 4/5ths of F@ck all some would say) those industries simply don't exist when you have a population less than 5 million. It has other downsides, the cost of living is high, people here moan about the price of gas, imagine paying $150+ to fill up your car (no, not a truck). Some things make no sense, for example I could buy NZ lamb in the UK cheaper than my parents can buy it in NZ -when they can even get it - most of the time they don't bother as the quality is poor (everything good gets exported).

The important stuff though. The riding is off the hook. The fishing is next level. It is possible to ski year round. You can fly from one end of the country to the other in a couple of hours. You're never more than a 2 hour drive from a beach. Depending on where you live it can be warm year round. NZ is long and skinny, the top is considered sub-tropical, the bottom gets well cold (think toilet water freezing in the bowl and your fridge starting to run backwards cold).
    I hope to live back there again some day. NZ is stunningly beautiful and for any outdoors persons it has to be one of the best places on earth. The people that live there are some of the friendliest you will ever find. I've literally met a person for the first time in an afternoon and been eating dinner with their family and staying the night before I could excuse myself. Its where I want to retire to.

25. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    And you guys have the Haka!

One of the greatest cultural expressions known to humanity.

26. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    If that doesn't get you pumping nothing will!

Lost Kiwi likes this.
  27. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    That was cool!

DangerDirtyD and Lost Kiwi like this.
  28. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I doubt its changed since I was at school but a lot of colleges in NZ have their own Haka. We'd generally practice once a week. For big sports events between the colleges the whole school would get rolled out to perform the Haka. Picture 1000+ students doing that.

Faust29, herzalot, Ocpop and 3 others like this.
  29. da big hills

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I just put $57 in to fill my truck, it was on MT. Of that $18 went directly into Gabin Newscums pocket so he can juice his friends. But Cowifornia is where I live so at least I am screwing him a little. This is my 4th tank since lockdown. I used to fill it after 5 days. So at least I have him on a diet of easy money. His friends must be worried about the greatly reduced payoff. Even Home despot and Low as u goes is missing my $$$

Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  30. da big hills

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I like it there, Outside of Sisters is my choice, except it burns just like here. The politics are insane, but I am from Cowifornia so it seems muted to me.

Faust29 and UPSed like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?