When life gives you lemons...

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by buggravy, Nov 17, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    That’s rad you still have your jacket. Mine may be at my parents house. I do still have my Sabers and Condors jerseys. Was yours green and gold or the newer blue and grey/silver team colors?

I remember those days when GG was being built. Getting dressed in the locker rooms with only plastic tarps covering the wood framework. I played my Junior level years there. There weren’t many Junior teams around so we played quite a few games against the Midget Jr. Kings.

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Apparently.....when life gives you lemons, you play hockey. :eek:

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    So, hockey players love lemonade?

4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Yes! We can derail anything!
    Even a heartfelt post from a temporarily fallen mtb hooligan warrior! :thumbsup: lol!

Bugs! You dah best!

@buggravy

herzalot, Luis, Old&InTheWay and 5 others like this.
  5. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash
    Haha, thanks, I do what I can. Quality derail for sure, but the original intent of the post ran its course pretty quickly, so fair game. Hockey it is.

herzalot, Luis, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  6. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Bort
    Current Bike:
    Like electrical current bike?
    SC had just changed over to the silver and blue when I started with them. Tier teams were the junior Ducks until Disney built the rinks off of Lincoln and then we switched to being Sabers again playing out of GG with blue and red jerseys for tier while the rest stayed blue and silver.

A huge dude that played for the Norwalk Condors broke my collar bone checking me into the boards when I was a pee-wee, always tough teams out of that rink.

I’ll stop talking now though, derail over. :speechless:

7. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    throw on some skinny slicks on the mtb and be happy, then go climb some steep streets

8. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    After being properly course corrected back to the idea of a hardtail that I wanted anyway, and can use with some different tires (or maybe not even different tires) for my road duty during rehab, I'm starting to let the antenna come back up for the right bike. My gut tells me that is still the Pedalhead that I ordered and cancelled, but if something else comes up, particularly if it saves me a couple bucks, I'm going to keep my options open. I found a Niner SIR 9 demo, and a new '18 Ibis DV9 for pretty solid prices locally. Worthy contenders, and a good pragmatic choice, but not necessarily the ones that speak to me the most. If the Carbon S Chameleons end up on hefty sales that would be tempting, and I know many here would vouch for that. I stumbled on this today. https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2674782/ This one is very tempting, and ticks pretty much all the boxes, except that I'd have to add a dropper, and at that point I'm more or less back up to Pedalhead $. Anyway, not looking for anyone to make my decision for me, but posting more for the recreation of the discussion. This won’t be an imminent purchase, unless it’s something like the above bike that’s somewhat of a one off situation.

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Okay, then, I’ll make your decision for you...you decide! :p

Building a new bike sounds like a very efficient use of time. A good metal HT...always good to have in the wings – or better. My PH frame was once for sale; glad to still have it though it sees little action.

If I were to suggest...I’d say steel, low standover, slack head angle and room for rubber. PH ticks all those, a few other bikes as well.

Have fun back on the tooling-up program. :thumbsup:

10. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    I love the idea of building my own, and I'd have plenty of time to navigate the hurdles I'd undoubtedly encounter. But at the price point I'm looking at, given that I don't have an arsenal of spare parts I'm looking to make use of, I'd end up paying a lot more I think. I'll probably use the time to tear down the Smash, do any maintenance, even if premature, and reassemble. That said, if I knew I could get one of these in a timely fashion, I'd commit to the trial by fire https://canfieldbikes.com/collectio...-mountain-29-275-steel-hardtail-mountain-bike. The nebulous "Spring" delivery sketches me out though.

11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Funny you should mention steel... :inlove: I ruled these out a few years ago when I was looking, because they were not single speedable. Times change...

https://canfieldbikes.com/products/nimble-9-all-mountain-29-275-steel-hardtail-mountain-bike

Edit: Should have read Gravy's post first!

12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    The Nimble 9 is a very popular/time proven steel frame.

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    One of two riders I saw on Pass Mtn yesterday was on a N9. Looked really good. 600? Faa...

SS capability is the one negative about the PH IMO, which would rely on an eccentric BB or a tensioner.

Nimble 9 or Kona Honzo ST would be atop my list for a SS shredder. The Honzo frame is $575 msrp. :sneaky:

@buggravy, sounds like you are on the cusp of the consummate two-bike quiver. Shreddy 29er HT with generous rubber is such a fun platform, great compliment to the Smash.

14. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    In honor of @buggravy 's positive attitude and the title of this thread.

15. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Ha, good stuff. And that's the second mention of my positive attitude over the last couple days, so mission accomplished in a way. To be completely transparent I've actually been quite down in the dumps, and have found myself pretty overwhelmed by it all at times. Luckily I realize how self centered (if somewhat natural) that attitude is, so I'm making conscientious efforts to not be a wet blanket around here, and in real life, by repeating the positives as a mantra of sorts.

16. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Re: the Nimble 9, I emailed Canfield and got a nice response from Lance saying frames should be ready by late February, but he's expecting the new paint to take a minute and said late March would be a pretty safe expectation for receiving a frame if ordered now. That's a bit later than I would have hoped for this project should I chose to take it on, but also not out of the question. I think at this point either that or a new Pedalhead order is the call. Decisions.

17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    mountaingirl sara and mtnbikej like this.
  18. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    As lust-worthy as that is, I'm not even a little tempted to sink that kind of cash into a hard tail. I actually felt a little conspicuous with the way I had the previous PH order built up. I think the PH is still talking to me as the choice that makes the most sense, probably with a pretty unmodified Ride 1 build other than subbing a 125mm Bike Yoke Revive dropper.

19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    If one-speeding is not a consideration, a PH does all things well.

I will say that I wish my medium frame had more reach. Because the PH has such similar numbers to the Smash, I thought it would fit very similarly, but it feels more compact. Not sure if a large would have been the answer. More like an extra medium would be ideal. I have +3.5” ape index and 34 standover at 5-10.5 fwiw. But it’s still a fun sled with a 140 fork, wide bars and full size 29er tires. Or set up for bikepacking. But if a rider is looking for long and slack, the PH could be fulfilling only half the goal.

20. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    I feel like I'll be good on a 2 with a 50mm stem. I was really comfortable on my M alloy Smash with a 40mm stem, and think erring on the side flickable and nimble for the PH makes sense with the Smash as the other arrow in the quiver. I'm even thinking of dropping from the 50mm on my Revved Smash back down to the 40mm. Thanks for the input, as always.

mtnbikej, DangerDirtyD, mike and 3 others like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?