When fast is not enough

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Louis Zegarra, Jun 5, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Louis Zegarra

Louis Zegarra Member

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    Here is a vid of these guys hittig over 70 miles per hour because of the power of drag draft.
    check it out...

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That's nuts... In episode 2, we'll see a video of the stain they leave on the highway!

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    That's exactly what I kept thinking.....I kept skipping forward to see the crash.

I know I have done 50 mph drafting behind a Jeep with very little effort......70 is tough because you run out of gear.

4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO

That's where my weight comes in to play. :gag:

5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Clearly "gears", are what they have run out of. I was thinking brains...
    Especially With no helmet to boot.

yvettessherpa, scan, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I don't think he had any to begin with......:thumbsdown:

yvettessherpa, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  7. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I did a lot of that in my road biking days, but I doubt over upper 50's mph. You need to stay close but should be able to look around or through the draft vehicle or you can't anticipate it's stopping. You also can't have a hostile or inattentive driver.

A friend and I did it once coming down a long straightaway toward Mentone from Angeles Oaks and were easily in the mid-50's, but we were watching the road ahead. It's only when you drift off the wheel that you need gears, and then you have to spin up fast to get back in the pocket. I inhaled lots of diesel fumes from city buses back in the day, but preferred big trucks. The classic reference is "Breaking Away."

8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Fastest speed I've EVER hit on a bicycle was about 45 mph, and that was going down a fairly steep and winding asphalt road above Bass Lake (Beasore Rd from Cold Springs Summit to Rd 274, for those familiar with the area).

I admit I cackled like a demented hyena when I passed the van and pickup truck...

yvettessherpa, Mikie, LLPoolJ and 3 others like this.
  9. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Winner of quote of the day! :Roflmao

yvettessherpa, Mikie, kioti and 2 others like this.
  10. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    124km/hr is actually 77.05mph. That's pretty crazy on the open road, with or without a helmet.

In a more "controlled" environment, here are some noteworthy drafters (from LIVESTRONG.com):

"Fred Rompelberg of the Netherlands.. blazed across Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats at 167 mph in 1995. Rompelberg set his record while drafting behind a special pace vehicle that created a space with zero wind resistance. Rompelberg had posted several previous speeds of well over 100 mph on the salt flats.

John Howard, the record-holder who preceded Rompelberg, rode to 152.2 mph on the Bonneville Salt Flats in 1985. Like Rompelberg, Howard rode behind a pace vehicle. In an interview, he described the experience as "terrifying and exhilarating … like riding a pair of bumpy rollers as fast as you can possibly go where your margin of control is limited. I was turning about 120 revolutions per minute at 152 mph."

11. Louis Zegarra

Louis Zegarra Member

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    When you are going at that speed, a helmet is not going to help, probably just extend the agony before death sets in.

Runs with Scissors and Faust29 like this.
  12. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Did that guy just put his phone on the back of the truck?
    Pretty risky to lose your phone bouncing off of the truck.
    Unless he's got a RokForm case like I do that has the magnet. Still, not sure I'd trust that.
    Plus, if you can't hold the draft, say bye bye phone (or camera)

I did like how he bunny hops the Bott's dots.

Runs with Scissors likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?