What's your favorite hydration pack?

Discussion in 'Hydration Systems' started by kazlx, Aug 1, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    One bottle on the frame, a small frame pack for tools, and cargo bibs for anything else. For long hot rides, a couple of frozen 1L bottles cooling your back is nice.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Ordered- One USWE Airborne 3L with the detachable pocket. :thumbsup:

Mikie, Danmtchl, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  3. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    USWE is the endurbro staple these days. You're gonna have to wear goggles with your half lid on all rides from now on.

Mikie, Danmtchl, redwoods and 4 others like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The one I ordered is too small for the enduro bros. I went with the weight-weenie-racer-in-spandex model that can be stripped down to barely carry water. :laugh:

I'm starting to acquire and test gear for one of those rides that you say we do too many times. :whistling: :p

Mikie, Danmtchl, redwoods and 3 others like this.
  5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    The detachable pouch is what I really liked about that pack. I figured I would put my tools in there and on my shorter rides just detach the pouch and carry it in my jersey pocket.

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Similar to what I'm thinking... I have the tools, pump and tube hidden in the SWAT compartment on Stumpy, so water is the main use for the pack on the FS. On single speed days, the detachable pocket can hold the tools and pump.

I have some long rides in mind for the fall/winter, so a comfortable pack is going to be a must.

Mikie, Danmtchl, redwoods and 2 others like this.
  7. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    I'm still looking for other options for carrying extra water on my rides. I bought a Flygo mens summer casual mesh vest off of Amazon in size XL at under $ 25.00. It has the pockets in front. I'm 225 lbs. right now and size XL was way to big. The water bottles hung down off the vest. Size large would be better for the Flygo product for me. My Ripley only has one water bottle station. All repair tools are already on the bike. I'm wondering if any of you have come across a lightweight mesh style vest the works for you or other?https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VK58MBB/?tag=imtbtrails0d-20

Mikie, Danmtchl and redwoods like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    USWE. Everything else is a wrong answer. :laugh:

It's probably not for everyone, but I actually forget I'm wearing it...

I have the small 3 liter, which is basically enough for water and a couple essentials. I also have the 9 liter, which is more of a traditional size.

Add on the chest mount GoPro adapter and it's a one device solution...

Mikie, tbarnesarc, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I have become "anti-shoulder slung hydration pack" even though I am quite happy with my Osprey Raptor 14. I'm all about hip packs these days.

Mikie, herzalot, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    My solution for extra water is an MTB with three water bottle mounts. I can carry 75oz on my frame. I did a 50 miler today and still had 1/2 a bottle when I got home.
    To be fair, I plan the majority of my rides around water stops. Just in case of course.

Mikie, redwoods, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  11. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Way back I also decided that I like not wearing a backpack if I didn't have to and took measures to avoid it. My Ripley has one small frame bag with tube, co2, spoon, masterlink and a piece of clear sheet plastic for tire slice or gash. The handlebar ends are where I have the Wolf Tooth EnCase tools for bike repair. I could rip the Revelate Frame bag off my Chameleon and see if that works/ fits or install a lower frame mount for an extra bottle of water. I also played with an Osprey hip bag but it always worked its way off my hips.

12. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:

Mikie, Faust29 and Danmtchl like this.
  13. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    Depends where I'm going and what bike I'm on.
    All day XC rides and fireroad climbs to get to the downhill runs, it's the old Camelbak Mule that can carry 100oz.
    If it's just a 15 mile XC ride, I have a Camelbak hydrobak lite.
    If I'm riding sweep in a group ride with noobs, it's the Mule fully packed with the kitchen sink.

Mikie, Oaken, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  14. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I rock the CamelBak Lobo. It is all I have ever used and works fine. Holds up to 100oz, although I never fill it up that much. Usually 64 to 72.

I am on my second one, and they redesigned it since my first one. Some things about the first were better and some things about the second one are better, but either way, it meets my needs.

I am also someone that would never, ever, ever have a bottle of water attached to my bike, so I need something. :laugh:

Mikie, SnakeCharmer, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  15. redwoods

redwoods Well-Known Member

Name:
    Patrick
    Current Bike:
    Ridin' heavy
    That’s where I’m at. There are very high quality backpacks for mtb, but I’ve gone completely to hip packs. In addition, I’ve gone to the Wolftooth double bottle adapter (you might need the B-rad system as well).
    https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com...ies/products/b-rad-double-bottle-cage-adapter

Mikie, herzalot, SnakeCharmer and 5 others like this.
  16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I could put 5 water bottles on the Sutra if'n I wanted to. ;)

I carry water, but it's just for looks. I'm convinced I'm part camel.

17. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have DaKine 18L pack that I love, but a few months ago I picked up an Osprey Synchro 20 pack and it seems a lot bigger than my Dakine. It would be best suited to out town trips rather than the day to day pack.

Mikie, redwoods, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  18. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Someone please show me a small pack. Say 2 l of water with an outside pocket or wedding to put my vest in....

I've literally duct taped my old Camelback which has this feature. All new pack seem to not have any webbing or anywhere to hang a vest in.

Looking for a small pack for my afternoon evening ride. Not the can camp overnight pack :)

Mikie, redwoods, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I hate packs. I hate Camelbak. I hate Osprey. I hate the several others I've tried. I'd rather duct tape bottles to the bike than wear one of those again. :laugh:

I love this pack. :laugh:
    https://uswe.com/en-us/hydration-pack-airborne-3-race-edition

It is water plus a couple essentials. If you take off the pouch, it's just water... although I can fit a bar (barely) at the top of the water bladder. The harness is the key and I actually forget I'm wearing it.

20. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I'm opposite... Like packs Not a big fan of hanging all that stuff off the bike. I used to do water bottles but that's because I was riding so long. I needed a pack plus water bottles LoL

But thanks. That's an interesting looking pack! It's going to get a serious look. The duct tape is about to give out on my old pack which they don't make anymore.

Mikie, herzalot, Obsidian and 2 others like this.
  21. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I recently got hooked up with a Dakine 1L hip pack. AND...I like it. I can stuff another 12oz. of water in the pouch if needed and still have room for a snack or safety essentials. It doesn't have wbbing, but it does have (2) adjustable straps. I have secured my light wind breaker to it many times without issues. https://www.dakine.com/collections/...laps-1l-bike-waist-bag?variant=33209068421200

Another favorite of mine are bibs that have storage pockets on the back like jersey's do. My go to as of late is the Zoic Carbon Bib. Lots of pockets including a zippered one t0 secure your phone. https://zoic.com/carbon-bib-liner+color-Black+size-Small?undefined

And, I use these collapsable water bottles to shove in the pockets. Once empty roll them up and you don't even know they are there. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010OLZ3E2/?tag=imtbtrails0d-20

Mikie, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  22. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    So much hate... Perhaps you just have a bad attitude? :Roflmao

If you're going to buy those, might as well spend $15 more and get a good water filter that comes with two pouches so you can fill up anywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1OSU4W/?tag=imtbtrails0d-20

Agree Osprey packs seem to have gotten bigger. I've got the same 20L synchro now. A few years ago I had a Manta 30 that seemed to be about the same size as the Synchro. I think it's a great pack for full day adventure rides. But definitely too much for local rides. Not sure how it's worthy of any hate :laugh:

When the Manta 30 fabric failed Osprey sent me a free replacement, a Manta 36 since the 30 was discontinued. That pack was ridiculous, felt like wearing the jet pack from a space suit. I actually had hikers making fun of me when I used it on a bikepacking trip. Sold it, and bought a Manta 24 thinking that would be more reasonable. Even that one is too big with its external frame. But I'll keep it for light backpacking and bigger bikepack trips when I need to be able to carry lots of stuff.

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, Stkx66 and 4 others like this.
  23. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Thanks @Faust29

I just order ]The regular Airborne..... liked the color better and could not tell different than the race than a pic showing the phone in the top
    https://uswe.com/en-us/c-airborne-3l-2l-grey-orange

I looked for 30 mins to "Compare" but could not figure :doh!!!

We shall see... hope it fits my doughy body! .. .Euros you know....

Mikie, Faust29, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  24. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I had Manta 32 and it was huge, I rarely used it. I gave it to my buddy in Santa Cruz because he needed something bigger to do trail maintenance up there. He still has it and it’s still in one piece, a little used and weathered but still useable.

Mikie, evdog, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    OK - I know my legions of fan are (is?) ready for me to chime in (again).

I can't stand loading up a bike with Sh!t. It looks horrible and the bike rides like poo! @Stkx66 I'm not sure how you do it - and you can wheelie for days!

I don't mind a good hydration pack like the Camelback something something that @Mikie and I have. It rides fairly low. That USWE thingy @Faust29 posted looks swell.

I don't mind a hip pack as long as it doesn't have water in it.

I don't mind one water bottle on a bike - either the way it looks or the way it feels riding.

But perhaps my best piece of advice is STOP RIDING SO FAR EACH RIDE! Keep your rides under 15 miles and under 3000' of climbing, mkay?

EDIT: And stop riding when the temperature is over 85°

Mikie, redwoods, Oaken and 4 others like this.
  26. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    So I only use a pack during the sweltering Bako heat, like now and when I am out of town riding. I bring a lot of stuff when I do, because you never know what you may need in the middle of know where.

I do agree with seeing a loaded down mountain bike, it does look like crap. My Trek has the TWAT box ( Treks version of the SWAT box) and I have everything need in that and I use a Revelate Gas Tank TT bag. Keeps everything clean looking.

27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You're just figuring this out? :p

Mikie, redwoods, SnakeCharmer and 4 others like this.
  28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I think there's a fabric difference between the race and the regular... That saves 10 grams or something. :laugh:

I will say that all the videos I watched of the Dirty Kanza, the USWE was easily the most popular with the racer/minimalist crowd. If I had been able to do the True Grit 100 this year, it would have been on my back... That race was actually the whole reason I bought it. Now I wear it just because...

Unless I have to carry a ton of stuff, I prefer the 3L versus the 9L which I also have...

Mikie, redwoods, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  29. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    +1 for USWE packs. I'm on my 2nd or 3rd at this point and love for the reasons stated above. I have an Airborne 9 and it holds everything needed. Now that my bike has a SWAT box I will probably get the smallest version USWE makes with a 100 oz. bladder. They make good stuff and are super comfy packs.

Mikie, redwoods, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Wingnut's 2.0 is my top pick for a low-capacity MTB daypack. Not the cheapest, but custom sewn by Scott G and team in USA. Two-liter bladder sleeve, main compartment and generous wing pockets. This is my third Wingnut pack, and I think it's the best design of the ones I have.bag1.jpg

Mikie, Danmtchl, redwoods and 5 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?