What's up with shoes for flats?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike, Feb 1, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Teebeetrailers,

I'm looking to shore up my failing fleet of two pairs of FiveTen Impact Lows. Wondering if the flat-pedal contingent here (is there one?) has any advice on what's current. The new Impact Low? Something else you've found durable, comfortable and sticky?

TIA for your advice.

PATKOUG, Runs with Scissors and UPSed like this.
  2. erjzacher

erjzacher Member

Name:
    Eric Zacher
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer DVO
    I've been using the 5ten free rider for a while and it's awesome. My first pair was the free rider stealth (not sure if it's still made) then I got a pair of VXI. Only difference I can tell is the color. Both pairs are super sticky on the pedals and very comfy for walking

herzalot, PATKOUG and mike like this.
  3. erjzacher

erjzacher Member

Name:
    Eric Zacher
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer DVO
    I've been wondering this myself. I've never been able to bring myself to clip in. I just assumed I was the only one:(

herzalot, mike and Runs with Scissors like this.
  4. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    I am more of a clipless (SPD to be more specific) guy, but I picked up a set of these:

http://www.fiveten.com/us/closeouts/freerider-vxi-elements-grey-lime

at the FiveTen outlet in Redlands for about the same price. Unfortunately, my first pair had a defect that I did not notice when I bought them. I emailed FiveTen and they took care of me immediately. They do stick to my pedals well and are super comfortable. I have a pretty wide forefoot and normal heal and these fit me great. If you are in the area and they are open...hit up the FiveTen outlet in Redlands. Really cool people and great prices.

mike likes this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    So I have to wonder: Honestly, wouldn't any reasonably well-made pair of shoes work? As long as your pedals are the right kind (I'm guessing those spiky things that give you chupacabra bites) are the shoes that big a deal?

They're flats. Large area. Sole stiffness shouldn't be a big deal as with clipless. Might even save some money. :thumbsup:

Or, just as likely, I'm talkin' out my bung hole and totally not hip to the style. :whistling: I use clipless myself.

mike likes this.
  6. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    A Nice Stiffy sole is what you want and 510 has got em I use the Freeride XVi and after years of riding clipless my feet are enjoying their new found freedom...Plus some of the new offerings from 510 aren't as Frankensteinish...
    510 is blowing them(freerider XVi) out at $65

herzalot and mike like this.
  7. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Out of the Impact Low or High I buy whatever is on sale. The Impact High's I'm currently using seem a lot lighter weight-wise than the lows, but they are not the full leather version.

Not a fan of the Freeriders or other 5-10 variants, they seem to be less durable than the Impact High/Low.

mike likes this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Great input, thanks a million.

I always felt like the Impact is borderline overkill for my riding. But they were pretty durable. I rode/ride some approach shoes and still do sometimes (@RWS). @tortoise, roger, I was hoping for a little less Frankenstein : )

I always use approach shoes on Los Piños, because they are light and small, and I don't notice any difference between those and my Impacts on DH. I do notice the difference on flat to uphill x-rough riding, but they are dreamy when pushing your bike.

$65 sounds like a cheap experiment, thanks.

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  9. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    @mike . The new redesigned impact xvi's are da bomb IMO. Not as bulky as the originals, wider in the toes, Seem a bit more water resistant and don't soak up water as much. The upper material seems stiff at first but loosens up over time and work great for hab. And of course, the sole is stiff and sticky.

mike likes this.
  10. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Here's another option that's not 510. Since Adidas purchased 510, they are using the stealth rubber on other lines. I picked up a pair of the previous year's model on close out for $50 around Christmas. Haven't tried them yet since my 510's are still in good shape. If you're a size 10.5, Amazon has them for $51.82.

https://adidasoutdoor.com/terrex-trail-cross-sl/IUV85.html

mike and herzalot like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I really like the idea of those... I'd like to try them.

And let me confess - I am bi...platform. I have tried about every shoe/pedal combo known to man, but there is no good middle ground - flats and 5-10s, or clips and XC shoes. When you start blending the two, you get the worst of both worlds. I ride flats and 5-10s at most bike parks, and on muddy days at Fontana. I ride clips 80% of the time.

My current 5-10 Kestrel Lace is the best clip in - DH style - shoe I've owned. The sole is stiff, and the shoe is not beastly. The Kestrel BOA is even stiffer and sleeker, but TONS of complaints about the BOA system on that shoe.

And can we please stop calling clip in shoes or pedals "clipless?" That was terminology appropriate in 1990 when the options were toe clips or Shimano bindings called "clipless" pedals because there were no toe cages.

Toeclips.jpg

mike and UPSed like this.
  12. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    They were actually called toe-clips and straps, hence the clip less label. A lot of bike shop customers come in looking for clip-in pedals, so change is coming, but glacially.

13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    How is the sizing on these? I've heard nothing but good things about them. I'd like to try something different than the XC shoes I've been wearing for the last 20 years.

mike and herzalot like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I have a long, flat foot - like a flipper. They fit my heel well, but are a little too roomy in the forefoot. Luckily, they are equipped with the Laterally Adjustable Closure and Entry System. The length is perfect (13) for my foot, which means it probably runs 1/4 size bigger than most brands.

I may add the front half of a Dr. Scholls' footbed in the shoe to take up a little volume. The cheapo, lightweight ones - not the complicated arch support units.

mike and UPSed like this.
  15. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I used to ride flats when I was doing lift assisted riding. I had 510's for years and on one trip I left them at home on accident. I ended up just using my salomon XA Pro 3d trail running shoes. I'll be damned if they were better then the 510's impacts I had been using for years. Stiffer soles, better for walking, better toe protection, better ventilation and better lacing system.

YMMV but I think they are worth a look. http://www.backcountry.com/salomon-...-pCePCRnMqUhpJ5vKHkrQaAtZw8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

herzalot, mike and Runs with Scissors like this.
  16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

We all know here that you can't ride downhill without running flats....just like you can't ride downhill with a FS rig. :rolleyes:

That being said, run whatever you are most comfortable with, pedaling/climbing in general is more efficient when clipped in.

I know, someone will post up how some of the fastest DH gods in the world run flats...but none of us is them.

I know most of the guys runnin flats like to be able to put a foot down without being attached to the pedals....but I always learned that keeping your feet on the pedals, especially in technical situations is better as it keeps you balanced on the bike. Why do you think you are more likely to crash when you are tripoding down a feature instead of riding it....bad balance.

Just my $.02

herzalot, bvader, Voodoo Tom and 3 others like this.
  17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The loads of input and ideas for a good flats shoe are greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Channeling RWS and Ebruner...there have to be numerous general-purpose shoes that will work well. I used Scarpa Crux on both my Divide rides, and have used La Sportiva Boulders, both approach-type shoes that stick well, are light and small. I hear some riders propping skate-type shoes. With how grippy today's thin flats are, seems many shoes would work.

Runs with Scissors and UPSed like this.
  18. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    On routes with lots of HAB like Yeager Ive used my altra olympus trail running shoes, worked quite well.

19. Dismay

Dismay Member

Name:
    Michael
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Jekyll 2
    Switched to flats last year, and I've been loving my Five Ten Freeriders, Mike.

mike likes this.
  20. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    I've got size 12 4E flippers so getting something wide enough to fit is an issue. I find that New Balance trail runners work out great for me. These are one pair I am using right now that I like. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IR5LREW/?tag=imtbtrails-20

Plenty of traction, stiff enough, light, breathe well.

mike, Runs with Scissors and rossage like this.
  21. I hated the first gen 510's and credit them with contributing to my broken tib/fib years ago. I here the newer 510's are good and more appropriate.
    I like Nike SB, them work good for me on flats. and most serious skate shoes have a stiff enough sole...... on the rare occasion i would use flats that is

mike likes this.
  22. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Dude! You're in the wrong sport. The US swim team has a spot for you since Phelps retired. With flippers like that it will be unfair.

23. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    The 5.10 shoes use their special rubber compound, same as their climbing shoes. They really do stick to the pedals like nothing I've experienced before. I wish they fit my feet better, but don't quite work for me. I use Vans and am happy with them. But I can't actually bunny hop without being attached to the pedals, so rely on clipless to compensate for my inadequacies (That's what she said!).

tortoise, mike and Runs with Scissors like this.
  24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @dustyyoungblood, which model FiveTen – are you talking the Impact?

I just fondled some of the new Impact Lows. Gary, you are right, they are quite different now. Silly light, svelte shape, super stiff. I will have a tough time deciding between that and one of the Freeriders. Meanwhile... ShoeGoo!!!!!! :unsure:

herzalot, sir crashalot and UPSed like this.
  25. Like these from 2008 ish
    five_ten_impact_low_news_post.jpg

mike likes this.
  26. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Model names are def confusing...

I think the new Impact XVI are the svelte model but the new Impact Low are still very similar to the 2015 model.
    the XVI are listed at "363g each", the new Lows are "559g each". I think they meant each shoe, not pair, because
    I have the 2015 model and they def feel hefty. As we're metrically challenged, it'd be much simpler if they listed the
    weight as "couple of bricks" :)

The new Lows have an added mesh panel above the toebox, might help w/ the total lack of ventilation of the previous model.

mike and pperrelle like this.
  27. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    It's so funny.... I remember the panic I felt when I first clipped in. Then I dialed in the pedals and the cleats and I have never looked back. The stability, the added strength on climbs, doesn't compare. Especially on rocky terrain, where I am getting hammered, being clipped in makes such a difference... to me. Not flaming here, just commenting.

Cyclotourist and dustyyoungblood like this.
  28. Not to high jack the tread, however.... the thing I hated about the super sticky 510 rubber was that it stuck to the pedals so good that you have zero lateral float. You actually have to lift your foot off to reposition it, which became dangerous and makes my joints hurt because always a little bit out of position. Of course you will never slip a pedel. Where with some skate or bmx shoes grip just fine and allow a little bit of shimmy.

Maybe they have changed the compound in 8 years?

29. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    The real reasons i dont ride clips anymore is that ive never found a clip shoe that i didnt hate; I cant stand HAB'ing in them, and i hate having the contact point directly under the ball of my foot i like it further back. the bit of extra efficiency uphill...meh i dont care.

Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  30. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    yeah...even stickier!

Cyclotourist and mike like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?