Whats the skinny on Over the Hump?

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Lost Kiwi, Sep 13, 2022.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Thinking about getting back into racing for sh!ts and giggles (hell its only been 25+ years) and this over the hump thing is just down the road from me.
    Considering signing up for the winter series but not sure what category to go in. I was looking at either single speed or intermediate 49.

I know a few of you fullas have raced there in the past. What's the course typically like? Pretty flat?

I can go down to a 34x21 on the ss, if that isn't going to have me hamster spinning a lot of the lap then I'd probably go single speed as then I have a good excuse when I suck :D

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    You will get left in the dust if you run 34x21t. The course is flat, thus you gotta run a smaller gear. 34x19/18/17.

It's a lot of racers on course, so it always feels crowded.

The course is short and flat...so it's fast.

HR is pegged for 1 hr.

Great atmosphere.

Great vibes.

No pressure.

I only raced once...on the geared bike. But worked it for a few years.

3. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I ain't buying another cog just to do a race, I'll take the geared bike. Thanks @mtnbikej :thumbsup:

4. office

office Member

Name:
    office
    I raced one of the Winter Series races last year. I usually try and race all of Southridge since it's closer.

Flat course, great for hardtail if you have one, ideal course for beginners or someone returning. The bigger the engine, the better you'll do. One guy on the start line described it as 'a dirt crit' - he was not wrong. The challenge though is there are lots of flat, loose corners.

Can't really go wrong. Very, very well run event. Lots of food vendors and stuff to do for family.

5. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Also a far better race course. Though the construction is ruining that :sick:

herzalot, office, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  6. office

office Member

Name:
    office
    I'm not up to date with the latest but last I heard the city was talking about getting rid of the park or something ridiculously stupid decision like that. I sent the form email they asked to send out.

Southridge is my all time favorite course, would be a huge shame. Guess you get more taxes from warehouses and $800,000 McMansions though.

7. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    They lost the whole back side of the race course and the north side by the canal. The course got rerouted to the hillside to the south. Which in a way was an improvement, the trails they built were better. But it made the course massively shorter, and they didn't add a lap to compensate (maybe because the climb is hard?). So for the fast guys, we cover all three laps in an hour rather than a preferred 1:20+. But the climb to the summit is still massively hard, and still great. Still great tech, especially for being right in the middle of town.

I really hope it gets worked out, and I hope people return. I did my first UCI pro race there, and that was amazing.

Rumpled, Obsidian, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  8. office

office Member

Name:
    office
    Ah, I'm assuming that's the course they ran last season for the final race that started in the neighborhood? I actually liked that a lot but it was definitely short. I put a big hole in my rear tire and shot all my Co2's in it to hold just enough to finish so I wasn't complaining though. They might have run it a few times but I missed a race or two due to some health issues last winter.

9. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Thinking I'm going to give it a go next week! I'm excited, anyone else planning on going? :geek:

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    That's awesome! Can't wait to read the ride / race report.

Cornholio, -ROCKY- and Obsidian like this.
  11. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    We are just getting into my son’s baseball season so not doing any winter series. We will be out come May/Summer series. I’m not racing anymore but my 8yr old will be. I always see several people I know and it’s a good vibe environment.

Here are some pics from one in ‘22. It’s a fun place to just hang and grab some food after the race. Hopefully you like it we can have a burger and beer later this year at one!

IMG_2495.jpeg

IMG_2455.jpeg

IMG_0302.jpeg

12. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky

Ahh it's the great @Cornholio !!!Yes!! I'm definitely looking forward to some good food afterwards. I've never been to the lake, from what I've seen on YT, it's a beautiful park and I can't wait to check it out!

13. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I did a season a few years ago. The course wasn’t anything special but it was still a lot of fun.Hopefully Docent Brewing and Wahoo Tacos still have their stands there. The best part was the post race beer and tacos!

Rumpled, DangerDirtyD and -ROCKY- like this.
  14. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    You seem stoked for it, and that's what matters. :thumbsup:

There are occasional races at Limestone Canyon and some other parks. https://www.ocmtb.com
    Seems like they had more before the so called pandemic, but maybe they will pick up again. If I am in tip-top riding shape when the next Limestone race rolls around, I might do that one for kicks.

There were also some NonDot races that looked pretty fun, especially the ones at Oaks. I never did them myself, and I don't think they do those anymore. NonDot used to always annoy me because they would sanitize the crap out of the trails a couple of days before each race. :Roflmao

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Hmmm so-called pandemic. So millions of people didn't die? Must be a media conspiracy!

Oh - that's right, they died of other things. I forgot. Carry on.

Sidewalk and Runs with Scissors like this.
  16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Self-inflicted stupidity and / or ignorance is a thing. Prevalent during said era. Blaming it on someone else is just another form of . . . something.

herzalot and Voodoo Tom like this.
  17. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Did you guys even check out that Kona Ice truck? It comes to our school for fundraisers too, pretty rad. That’s my daughter adding way too much syrup to hers in that pic. Anyways, just moving along here. :whistling:;)

18. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Yeah I am stoked! :DI don't care if I come in last, my goal is just to complete the race in one piece. I am a little concerned with my riding shape, followed by my inexperience, but I'm prepared to take it down a notch if I have to. I do care about competing, but for now I'm just looking for a good time. I will look into the other park races, thank you!

19. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    After you conquer some OTH races you can do Counting Coup or Vision Quest. I’ve only done the former and had a blast, easiest day of my life. ;):cautious:

20. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    IMG_0541.jpeg

21. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Lol, I keep thinking about a front wheel wash out. Then I think about @Cyclotourist . Wasn't he the one who had that happen to him a couple years ago? So I'm going to keep it under 100mph first time out lol

DangerDirtyD, herzalot and Obsidian like this.
  22. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    They are doing Dual Slalom this year for the winter series, and I keep missing that event at Summit. I've never done DS, and I got back into mtb when 4x was going away, so I'm looking forward to it.

23. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Hi Grassblade. You know I saw that on the flyer and never heard of it. I kinda had an idea of what I thought DS racing might be. I guess it didn't appeal to me so I didn't think about it. I think it costs extra if you want to race it in addition to the regular race, so I moved on. I just looked it up and found this video.

This looks soo fun!! It's like a mix of everything I would like to do! Mountain biking, slalom racing, I love the BMX start! With 2 racers it has a drag racing feel to it. You guys know that's my Sh!t right there! Thanks for mentioning this Grassblade!

24. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    That does look fun.

Grassblade23, herzalot and -ROCKY- like this.
  25. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    It sure does! I bet this is where the best spectating is going to be too.

Grassblade23 and Obsidian like this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Don't snag your handlebar on the gates!

Grassblade23 and -ROCKY- like this.
  27. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    I managed to get time off work for the Friday afternoon practice and I am glad that I did. Past experience had led me to expect something along the lines of a few sandy ruts posing as berms followed by a few sad slalom flags. Happily, I was very mistaken.
    upload_2024-1-14_22-40-55.jpeg

upload_2024-1-14_22-40-55.jpeg
    The course was amazing! Smooth and fast with very will built and maintained berms. I wasn't prepared for how fast and tight some of the turns were. The blue lane almost felt like dropping into a halfpipe. It was intimidating at first, but an absolute blast. I got 12 practice runs in and I was gassed.

Showed up Race day and the track was FAST. Don't know if it was maintenance, overnight moisture, my increased confidence, or a mix of all of the above, but my first two runs were the fastest I would do, (by the time I did qualifying runs, I had slowed down some.) Looking at my class (Sport Men 40+) I saw 17 participants and assumed I would have the slowest time.

Surprisingly I qualified 15th, so I raced the 2nd highest qualifier, (Craig Johnson who would go on to win the class.)

upload_2024-1-14_22-52-0.jpeg

upload_2024-1-14_22-53-1.jpeg
    I pulled my old hand-me-down Chumba out of semi-retirement, (I think I last rode it NYE 2019 and stashed it in the corner of my living room for the last 4 years,) sans the dropper and with the tires pumped up to about 38r/35f
    upload_2024-1-14_22-41-40.jpeg
    People were riding Dirt Jumpers, 29er XC bikes, Enduros, and one guy had his Orange 4x that he raced 20 years ago in Melbourne.

During practice, I met a bunch of friendly riders. Among them were Cris and Max from the San Diego area. Cris posted some good POV on his YouTube channel:

Rumpled, Obsidian, Stkx66 and 4 others like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Looks like a lot of fun - thanks for posting and congrats!

29. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    That looks rad. I am tempted to get into one of those just for fun.

30. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    YES!!! Congratulations!!:thumbsup: Great stuff here! Dudes munching them tacos right before the race, made me realize I approached this entire day wrong!! :laugh: What a great time. You guys got skills!!:thumbsup: Max!!! Them brakes!?!?! :eek:

Grassblade23 and Obsidian like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?