Whats the best PLB?

Discussion in 'Computers/GPS SYstems' started by scottay, Jul 12, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Been using the inReach mini for about a year now on the $25 plan. No regrets. I haven't tested it much, but I turn it on with tracking whenever I ditch my phone, or when I'm out of cell range. This is a screenshot from my last ride. Each dot is every 10 minutes.

I can also activate an emergency from my watch or head unit (depending on which one is connected at the time) as well as send preset messages, right from my head unit.

I'm very happy with it so far.

Screenshot_20210406-222307.png

mike, Mikie, tick and 1 other person like this.
  2. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Well think I'll resurrect and old thread...come back from the Dead I say!

Motorola came out with a satellite texting and location beacon as an add on dongle for Android and iPhone. Says it can work independently to send your location, but also syncs with Droid or iPhone for off the grid texting and emergency location. Checking it out, I thought this could be a good option for those that feel the drive to go where it may be needed.

I think it's a great idea, and when it comes out interested in folks thoughts. Not that I go that remote any longer...but hey anything is possible! ( Motorola even shows an Mtb on their site...so gotta be legit! ;))
    https://motorolarugged.com/en-gb/motorola-defy-satellite-link/

https://gearjunkie.com/news/motorola-defy-satellite-texting-smartphones

Obsidian likes this.
  3. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Trying to be critical about it, it doesn't look half bad. The only question that I may have missed the answer to is if it does live tracking like Garmin and Spot. Otherwise, it'll do the most important part of what my inReach does.

Not a replacement for a PLB. But good for probably 90% of the people who want some extra security. The other 10% probably better served by an inReach and/or PLB.

Obsidian likes this.
  4. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Believe it can send a text message and location via satellite. If imminent emergency evac is needed in BFE, then it'll do the trick splendidly.

But thought I toss it out as a $99 price and $5/year option for peace of mind. Seems cheapish to me.

Tracking, better options for sure. Even stava does that w/o cell coverage.