What's Cooking?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Racer X, Aug 22, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Started going there when I got my BGE back in 2011, lines are long around holidays! I hit Costco more than anywhere else these days for their meat. Can’t beat the ribeye caps..

7998E852-28E7-4739-953A-3CA666BF450D.jpeg

First shot at wokking on the egg Saturday, got it seasoned and ready to go..

FB6074F8-4559-4C46-9B71-3C1C42D441C4.jpeg

2. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Shhh. Don’t tell anyone, but Albertsons has some pretty good meat too. Just stocked up on choice NY for $5/lb. also picked up some tri-tip for $2.77

3. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Wow, haven't followed perhaps my favorite thread in a while look what I'm missing out on, good stuff guys...:thumbsup:

Racer X, mtnbikej, Luis and 5 others like this.
  4. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Looks DE licious!!!

6. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Watching the little ones today so making a rather large batch of chili for the weekend. Also picked up some jalapeños, bacon, cream cheese and ghost pepper cheese to make ABT’s tomorrow.

I usually like to use brisket but this will do for the price:
    9F8EB453-C0B5-48BC-9150-142D3B37FFCF.jpeg

Hot dog boats make perfect prep ingredient holders, just toss when done.
    019916AE-2246-4097-99F3-ECCCCD3F5E7D.jpeg

Simmer down:
    D861845E-1AEA-473E-9D2D-0288804D32BF.jpeg

7. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    ABT’s - Ghost pepper jack cheese, cream cheese filling. Going on the smoker later.
    CEA2E130-B0D7-4388-81AC-18B9AFB6E287.jpeg

C5A598BB-26E8-4221-8D15-BC98A74DC2D4.jpeg

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, Oaken and 5 others like this.
  8. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
  9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Those look suspiciously like jalapeños, not ghost peppers.:confused:

10. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    One of the cheeses I used has ghost peppers in it. I was just listing the ingredients not visible, obviously jalapeños for the boats.

5BFEF6F8-3F62-4C71-8B0A-45A1C7A073CB.jpeg

11. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Okay, well, did you bring enough for everyone? :laugh: They look pretty darn good!! :thumbsup:

12. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    They were good, so much better done low and slow versus grilling them with direct heat. Wife approved.

6E11C4B3-34A2-4B09-A75B-8CE40E54E93C.jpeg

My first go at stir fry the other night was a success as well. Fried rice followed by beef and sugar snap peas in an oyster sauce then some honey garlic shrimp and broccoli.
    A9B2165C-1B88-4877-9029-F69D39429D93.jpeg
    D5EC0A88-7C69-465A-8EA0-1EFF744B9A00.jpeg

13. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
  14. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Dang dude, you are a one-man cooking-thread extravaganza! That Pad Thai looks yummy, as does everything else.

I could start posting pictures of the mostly-prepared meals I pull out of the microwave. Nah...

16. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky

Isn't he!?? I say the same thing every time I come here!!! Everything looks delicious!!! @Cornholio :coffee:

17. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Gravy! I love gravy!

18. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    It’s all I’ve got to contribute on here lately, I was wondering if I was coming off as talking to myself. :( I did ride yesterday but I’ve been doing way more cooking than riding the past few months. We are making a big effort to eat out a lot less so my wife and I split up cooking meals.

19. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Keep 'em coming!! :thumbsup:

20. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Nah, this has been one of the more enjoyable threads. I grilled up a pretty bomb tri-tip yesterday, but I neglected the photo op in favor of scarfing.

21. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Tri-Tip marinading right now. This kicks azzzz. Everyone always loves it. I just add everything into my Vitamix (with whole peppercorns), pulse for 10 seconds or so on and off and dump in a gallon bag or bin depending on how many I'm doing. That recipe is enough for two 4ish lb cuts.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/6-hour-tri-tip-marinade-recipe-1944573

22. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Nice, tri-tip is probably my favorite piece of meat to grill. That marinade looks good. As much as I've cooked tri-tip, I think I've only done dry rubs, but I might have to try that.

23. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Just put a 7lb bone-in pork butt/shoulder on the egg. Smoking it at 230f indirect heat with some pecan wood and Dizzy Pig Crossroads BBQ rub. Expecting 12-15 hours, the protein drives the cook.. no timers for low and slow.

A8DB1C9D-5BE1-4B42-85A4-C9284AC5A5AB.jpeg
    7E065F8B-6AE1-4629-B9B8-0D50D1CC0204.jpeg
    015E6EFA-52EE-4DF0-B03D-776297B1E0FB.jpeg

doublewide, Danmtchl, -ROCKY- and 9 others like this.
  24. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Oh man, pork butts make the displaced Southerner in me swoon. Please post pics of pulled pork goodness when it's done. Also, I feel like an egg is something I need in my life.

Danmtchl, -ROCKY-, Cornholio and 2 others like this.
  25. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Will do, about to pull it off and let it rest in some foil wrapped in towels in the cooler (FTC) then pulling it later today after I get back from my office for a late lunch.

Looks and smells good:
    6FD6110C-842D-42F1-919D-47EE181C6D0D.jpeg

doublewide, Danmtchl, CBone and 8 others like this.
  26. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    In my next life (aka next house) I may get an egg. You just can't get the same flavor on a gas BBQ... though I cook on my BBQ all the time I am envious :)

Cooking chili today while it rains. I'll post photos later. I use tri-tip for my cubed meat, though I also use spicy Italian sausage links (de-cased) and spicy breakfast pork sausage for the ground meats.

27. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Looks/sounds righteous. Seems like you use the egg a lot. Has it been the worthy investment that it seems? Easy to keep clean?

28. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I’ve owned it for 7-8 years now and have never once regretted buying it. My usage has fluctuated but these days I find myself with more time for at home activities with 2 youngins so I’ve been on a bit of a tear the past year.

Since I got some accessories to change up ways of cooking in it (the rack system you see in mine is after market) I have been able to use it for a lot more things like grilling multiple dishes at once that were tough before with just 1 grate. The fact that you can cold smoke jerky or cheese on it at under 200 or crank it up to sear a steak or cook a pizza at over 700 degrees and beyond makes it a really versatile tool.

Cleaning it is a breeze, higher heat cooks burn off build up and you simply scrape ash out the bottom opening. There is another brand, Kamado Joe, that makes some solid units as well but when I got my egg they were the biggest one out there. Can’t go wrong with either.

29. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Yes, buy a Kamado and enjoy life. It's an investment but it'll be with you for many years, kinda like a good set of tools. I have the Kamado Joe Classic and use it all the time. There's several good ones and I only chose the Joe cause it was on sale a couple years ago at Lowes and came with accessories. You can literally cook anything on them and will be looking for reasons to fire it up. The beauty is firing it up over and over again with just adding a couple piles of fresh charcoal over your prior burns. I lit mine earlier and it's just idling even though I didn't need to just cause it's stupidbowl Sunday and I know I'm doing appetizers later. They take a while to heat up and hone in on your desired temperature but you can't beat the results. I also have a pellet grill (Green Mountain grill Daniel Boone) that personally I think sucks) but my wife likes it.

30. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Finally pulled it apart, 21 hours total from the time on the cooker until shredding.
    6B00F8C8-BC04-4C31-84CF-00099A06019A.jpeg
    66C9922F-13BE-484A-8FA5-4D7C67F9E077.jpeg