What was I thinking?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Faust29, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Note to self... Use the "save draft" button frequently, just in case a window is accidentally closed. I'll call this version 2...

The plan was to combine the hardest climbs in two county parks, and then bag Santiago Peak... I guess I've been reading too many of mtnbikej's reports, and maybe a few of Eric Foltz's... I thought I'd try and hang with the big dogs today.

The climb up to Vista in O'Neill. A great place to start the ride, considering that I couldn't climb this three years ago. I used to struggle to make it to the bench, which is only 1/2 way. The plan was to just sit and spin, and not worry about speed today at all. This usually isn't an issue, anyway.

GOPR0416.jpg

O'Neill is a great warm-up for longer rides... Even at the slow pace, I managed to pass a few beginners who were walking up. I can empathize, and I gave some encouragement... After O'Neill, I dropped out the back side onto el Toro road for a quick stretch on the Aliso Creek bike path.

GOPR0422.jpg

A quick climb up Glenn Ranch Road and I drop into Whiting. The parking lot has quite a few cars, which is unusual for this end. I don't see a single bike rack, however...

GOPR0425.jpg

I try to climb Dreaded at least once a month, but I wasn't shooting for time today. I managed to finish in 16 something, which is faster than I expected. I usually do the bottom section out of the saddle, but today was a sit and spin up the 24% grade. Thankfully, that level of steep doesn't last long. They have been working on the hill, so there were some loose sections.

GOPR0429.jpg

GOPR0432.jpg

For the northerners in the group, Whiting is a very scenic park, and a joy to ride. There are quite a few combinations. Just avoid it on the weekends... I ran into over a dozen hikers on Dreaded, which is unusual. I usually see one or two at the most, and I've never run into another biker.

GOPR0439.jpg

I stopped at 4 Corners briefly, but the water fountain wasn't working, so I pushed on with 3 full bottles remaining. I had hoped to refill the one I used getting this far. On to Modjeska Grade...
    I seriously considered making a detour, and heading for Santiago Truck Trail for an Old Camp run. After reading Herzalot's ride report, I'm not sure I made the right choice. He had fun, and the wife keeps offering me Advil and Bengay. :oops:

GOPR0447.jpg

I've been riding Backstar Canyon quite a bit lately, so it's nice to see Canyon dwellers who aren't batsh!t crazy. No barbed wire, no security cameras, and everyone waves and smiles.

GOPR0450.jpg

Harding is a grind, but it's one of the most scenic climbs around... There is a poster on the fence for the Harding Hill Climb in February.

GOPR0456.jpg

There were a few wet spots at the bottom, but most of the ride to 4 Corners was bone dry.

GOPR0459.jpg
    GOPR0463.jpg

4 Corners...

IMG_3836.jpg

I don't usually do selfies... And I think I'll stick to that. It wasn't a good hair day.

I didn't take any photos between 4 Corners and Modjeska Peak, because I was too busy dealing with all of the fresh rock that slid off the mountain with the snowfall. This section is usually rough, but today I walked the last 200 yards of the chunk for the first time ever. It was also the only point in the ride that I was thinking about the FS bike in the garage.

The view from Modjeska Peak was worth the sore behind over the last mile... My house, and starting point, is down there somewhere.
    IMG_3845.jpg
    IMG_3851.jpg

The downhill after Modjeska is usually a lot of fun. It was still nice to have a break from pedaling, but it wasn't as smooth as it was a month ago.

Almost there... Santiago Peak in the distance.

IMG_3852.jpg

And into the shady section just before the peak. I know we had a lot of snow at New Years, but I never expected to see some still on the ground!

IMG_3853.jpg

View from the peak! And it was absolutely perfect today...

IMG_3855.jpg
    IMG_3858.jpg

I decided that I didn't have the legs to attempt Trabuco, so I made the decision to bail out at Holy Jim. Main Divide was pretty uneventful... I saw a lot of hikers, but no bikers the whole way down. I did stop off at Bear Springs, which was flowing pretty nicely. There were quite a few trees down on the "hiker section" of Holy Jim, but most had been cleared. There were a couple spots where the trail had been diverted.

The ride out Trabuco Creek Road was insane. I passed the usual amount of cars on the way down, but the road was in worse shape than it was just a month ago. There were several spots on the lower section where the oncoming cars were completely on the wrong side of the road. I saw one gentleman in a Mini Cooper who needed a few kind hand gestures before he moved out of the way. His window was open, so I gave him a few more encouraging words as we passed.

The Garmin died as I was climbing out of O'Neill to get back home. After resurrecting it, Strava tells me that I managed 41 miles and just under 7,400 feet of climbing.

IMG_3861.jpg

rossage, UPSed, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Depends...
    You Sir, are an animal! Or (and I mean this in nicest possible way), insane! Or both!
    What a ride!

Mikie likes this.
  3. Broke and broken

Broke and broken Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Greg
    Well done!

Mikie likes this.
  4. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Waiting for the GG Pistol!
    Quite the ride, that is a lot of miles and elev to crank out! :shock: Thanks for the report!

Pretty sure we saw you climbing Harding when we were stopped and chatting on STT.
    Would have said HI, but don't thing you would have heard us.

Mikie likes this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Nice ride.....big rides are always fun.

How else are you supposed to find your limit, if you never push it.

6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    And this is why I'm sitting here now planning the 8,000 foot ride... I was sore when I got home, but I'm actually feeling pretty good after eating everything in the house. I think I need to come up with a better nutrition plan while I'm out there. The Gu, trail bars, and Nuun aren't cutting it anymore.

Mikie likes this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Try taking a sliced apple and/or a PB & J sandwich.

Mikie likes this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Wow - just wow. Proving different people want different things in their riding. I need a much higher fun to suffer ratio, but I have nothing but respect for you high mileage guys with your 5000' plus climbing in a day. Well done.

Mikie likes this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I was thinking about PB&J at 4 Corners... And hamburgers, and pizza, and burritos. The PB&J and apple are probably the most realistic, though. They're going in the bag next time!

Mikie likes this.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    WOW!
    I know what you were thinking..."I'm doing an EPIC!"
    Amazing performance my good man!
    I know you put a lot of time into that ride report, fantastic job.
    Great read and supah pics!

It's nice that I have climbed Santiago Peak with mike, and I know how rocky and brutal that last of it is.

Awesome job my brothah. Awesome!

11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Thank you! With your pedigree, I'll take that compliment!

And now I need to find the time to try some of those trails on your end of the world!

Mikie likes this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I was thinking about PB&J at 4 Corners... And hamburgers, and pizza, and burritos. The PB&J and apple are probably the most realistic, though. They're going in the bag next time![/quote]

I find that the apple slices last longer....during the ride, I cut mine into 1/8's. One slice at about the same rate as a GU.

Mikie likes this.
  13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Faust29...ride on dude! You and MtnBikeJ set the bar pretty high! I have a long, loooong road ahoe before I can pull off what you guys do, but I'll be thinking about you positively. Thanks for sharing your epics...EPICS!

Mikie likes this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    It could have been me. Harding was pretty dead yesterday. I saw 3 guys in the first couple miles on wal-mart Schwinns and Diamondbacks with no helmets and no water. They asked me about the trail, and how hard it was to get to Holy Jim. I tried my best to explain how difficult it was, and that some people "reassess" at 4 Corners, or before. I really hope they turned around, as they were already walking at mile 2. The only other rider I saw the whole way up was a guy on a Specialized hardtail. He caught me just before the downhill at mile 7ish. We chatted for a few minutes, but he was only going as far as Modjeska, and he was on a faster pace than I was.

Mikie likes this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    And I have a lot of respect for you guys that like to bomb down the hills! I'm more likely to wear out brake pads than anything else...

This is probably some sort of blasphemy, but I usually pedal in to Old Camp, and skip the Luge on the way out. The reasoning: If I take the Luge, my workout is over, because it's downhill all the way back to RSM. I prefer to pedal out, and then climb the back side of O'Neill.

Mikie likes this.
  16. Black Licorice

Black Licorice Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nomad
    Wow! I want to do a ride like this so bad! (well ride/hike-a-bike)

Like mtnbikej said, "how do you know your limit if you never push it." I am pretty sure that's beyond my reasonable limit right now. But as long as I leave early enough, I should be able to take a lot of rests and walk to a road for the wife to pick me up, haha.

Thanks for the report!

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Courting your own personal wall is good fun. MTB is awesome in that you needn't be in your lifetime physical prime to be your best at it.

Faustie, great tour of the area...bravo, man! Thanks for the run down :cool:

Mikie likes this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    You sir, need to see a therapist. You really must be mad at yourself - inflicting all of that pain! :crazy:

We need to get you to a proper bike park with a big squishy bike and lots of pads. I'm not talking Snow Summit - I think you need a proper Whistler intervention. In the meantime, please watch this:

and this:

Mikie likes this.
  19. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    You basically just did the Counting Coupe...bravo!!

Mikie likes this.
  20. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I should have included you in the first paragraph. I still go back and read your report every now and then!

Mikie likes this.
  21. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.

My wife supports my bike habit right up to the point of broken bones!

ridinrox and Mikie like this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Mikie- This has to stop. All these old ride reports are coming to the top! I'm trying to plan more rides now than are humanly possible! :thumbsup:

23. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    I concur - I'm so confused. I think everyone won the lotto and is out enjoying retirement by riding all these epic places!! <scratching head emoji> :p

Mikie likes this.
  24. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    I knew it! I knew it! You sir are a sandbagger!

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Version 2 of this ride will be better! :thumbsup:

tortoise and Mikie like this.
  26. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Hah hah ha ah! My plan for mountain biking to take over the world is working!!!
    (Thanks for re-assembling this gem of a report!)

Ha ha, I think Forums have a huge flaw in that they move forward at such a fast paced, we easily lose sight of all the previous goodies like this. Having the 3 random thumbnails in the upper right gives us a time machine window to look back on good times. For me... That IS winning the lottery! :)

I just came across the only ride you and I rode on together Rox and it gave me a big smile!

ridinrox, Voodoo Tom and Faust29 like this.
  27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    So you are gonna go all the way to Trabucco the next time?

Let me know when. :sneaky:

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  28. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I was thinking of adding Mathis in Aliso, but that's a whole lot of flat bike path miles... Adding Trabuco would probably be more fun. I really need some cold weather, though...

29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

I concur....on both.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  30. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Awww.....that was a good day riding the Gabes: I was running late, I think I was waiting for a poo right?? :p

I think that was the last time I rode w Mark (abuck55) too - I miss that guy but our timing for rides is always off. :cry:

Edit: Wait!! I remember, he and I rode San Juan a year ago ... :(