What Trail Pump Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Pumps' started by Mikie, Dec 9, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I use that one also. I like it because it is very small and works great. I hand pumped a tire on the trail once and found that to be a complete pain in the ass.
    I usually carry two extra CO2 cartridges with me each ride.

SnakeCharmer, Mikie, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  2. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I have. They seem to work fine. Only issue I had was when the valve was clogged but that isn't the inflator's fault. It doesn't take much of a turn to open it all the way, though I can see the push button getting it done a little quicker. The one plus of the screw style is you can let air in slowly when it is close to full so you can use for adjustments easier than the push button.

Wanted something compact so this is the one I got. The cool leather sleeve that is included had nothing to do with it :whistling: https://ridepdw.com/collections/inflation/products/tiny-object?variant=24673979905

SnakeCharmer, Mikie, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  3. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I have or have tried many pumps including most of these mentioned. I have the compact Lyzene one mentioned by @herzalot and have loaned it out 10+ times but have only used it myself a couple times as I prefer CO2. 3 of my friends have the stainless Lyzene that turns into a foot pump with a T handle. It works great but is too heavy for my tastes. Besides, if they have it, why should I carry that anchor? The spare tire around my waist is bad enough.

Sidewalk, HBkites, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  4. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I have thought about carrying a spare tire with me when I’ve ridden in remote locations, but then I would have two.

Sidewalk, HBkites, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  5. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Believe it or not, on one of our group rides at Palm Canyon 2-3 years ago, we ran across another group that had a guy carrying a real spare tire in a fanny pack. It just so happened that George, a guy in our group knew someone in the other group. 5 miles, 2 flats and a sliced tire on HBV later for George, that other group came upon us again and George bought the spare tire off that guy. We set it up trailside and finished the ride.

Sidewalk, Mikie, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Mike’s Desert Oasis and Cheap MTB Parts? That’s it, I’m setting up the DBA and domain...unless you beat me to it, MIKE ;):cool:

7. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    Mikie, Danmtchl and mountaingirl sara like this.
  8. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have carried a spare tire riding Cannell the first few times. I don't do that anymore.

Sidewalk, Mikie and rossage like this.
  9. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I have a specialized mini pump and CB Klic with a magnetic hose, and fortunately, I don't remember ever using either one........ I just screwed my self, didn't I?

When I broke my Knight Composite rim (27.5+) a few months ago I ended up putting a tube in it, and inflating it with CO2, but the tube had a hole in it, and I ended up walking.
    I just remember ............ need to buy a new 27.5" tube!

herzalot, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  10. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    What did you use to cup the bottle?

I don't ride with a knife, do you?

11. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I think my multitool has one, depending on which one I am carrying. I do carry a knife when I have a pack on though, or going remote.

12. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    We were in a big group and someone had this crazy sharp knife. I was in this group

13. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The leather sleeve is there so that you don’t freeze your fingers solid. Those darn cartridges get COLD once punctured! :eek:

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  14. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I always carry some sort of knife. I don't like folders so I use a fixed 3" blade. Keep it very sharp. Dull knives are dangerous.

IMG_20181211_163938.jpg

Now, about those pumps...

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  15. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Pimpin is easy with you 2 on my roster.

DangerDirtyD, herzalot, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  16. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    And yet, another thread resurrection. Anyone here using the OneUp EDC pump? I've read nothing but great reviews but not sure I want something that large attached to my frame. As long as I'm carrying CO2, I'm perfectly fine with pumping 300 times to get 5psi.

17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have a drawer full of pumps, but the EDC is the only one I like… large volume and the tools hide inside the barrel. No, it is not petite, but it is well made.

The tools used to hide in the steerer tube, but that fork (tapped) is no longer in service…

mike, DangerDirtyD and UPSed like this.
  18. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Only used one once. not enough stroke to make me happy. I just walk out, it is not that bad, really. But then again I do not carry anything to help so when the tire air goes, so do I.

Runs with Scissors and Faust29 like this.
  19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Cyclotourist, mike, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  20. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

It's small enough to fit in my jersey pocket.

22. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Just ordered the Lezyne Pocket Drive HV. It's only 5.5" long. It was only $20 at Bike Tires Direct after applying my VIP points.
    1-MP-PKDRHV-V104-PocketDriveHV_Black_v1_R1_1800x1800.jpg

~JB~, Danimal, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  23. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    When I first started bike commuting I picked up a Lyzene at the REI across from work, after a bad flat tire experience (I had to learn most things the hard way). It was one of the cheapest there because I was broke at the time, but I knew I needed the flex hose (another hard lesson).

I realized recently that I have had that pump in all sorts of weather usually bolted to my frame for 6 or so years and it still works. So I bought another one just like it, but high volume/low psi for the MTB to stash in the SWAT box.

24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at   7.41 AM (2).png

This pump has worked flawlessly for years. It has dents in it from rocks kicking up to my downtube. Flexible hose is a must for me.

25. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I use a Co2 nowadays but carry around a 20 year old Blackburn pump on out of town trips that still works great. I don’t even know what model it is.

26. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    I bought a small Lezyne similar to this one posted from the Path and hat it attached to my frame with the mount provided. After 2-3 rides it had rattled apart and parts were lost on one of my rides. It became useless. Quality product but make sure all parts are tight.

27. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    The Redman is YUUUGE fan of the OneUp EDC large pump. I have it attached to the bottle mounts. The retainer clip that holds it in place is bomb proof. Not once has it ever popped out, and it has taken its share of hits. The tool storage is crisp and easy to get to. Has all the basics including a chain breaker, master link storage, and a master link removal tool. Also, has a small container for storage. bacon strips and tire plug fir well. But so do the essential safety break necessities. Never had an issue with the pump, always gets me to the pressure I need. And, I carry CO2 as well just to be safe.

28. senderos_949

senderos_949 Member

Name:
    Randy Morris
    Current Bike:
    Marin Mt Vision Pro
    I've had the larger version of the Lezyne pump for years without any problems (but I didn't attach it using the frame clip). Solid, moves a lot of air and love that it has an internally stored flex hose. Only gripe is smooth aluminum construction is slippery when pumping hard.
    The EDC pump (with great reviews above) is interesting in that it doubles as a CO2 inflator too - didn't know about that functionality plus carries tools - may have to check that out when mine dies.:thumbsup:

29. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    @pperrelle has the OneUp and seems to like it. Of course the one time he went to use it when I was present on a Gooseberry trip, the pieces inside went flying. I end up buying this Topeak Mountain TT Twin Turbo pump on Amazon specifically because it has a folding lever/clip that I use to hang off my hip pack. I stole the idea after I saw some guy doing it in Sedona. It's worked flawless so far. The pump is much larger than I expected but I've let several people borrow it and everybody comments on how well it works.

Danmtchl, Faust29 and UPSed like this.
  30. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    When I'm out in the field on long rides away from everybody and wear a backpack I roll with the smaller Crank Brothers pictured on the right over the Park Tools in the middle for size only. The Lezyne on the left is low pressure high volume I took on vacation which worked quite well and only used at our bungalow before rides. Since I've only had 2 flats out in the field, ever, I roll with common C02, tube and hope.

4B589DEC-36AA-4286-8DD0-ADBCEE671970.jpeg

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?