What Trail Pump Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Pumps' started by Mikie, Dec 9, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have a Blackburn Pump I have had from my sponsored day’s with Bell. It’s awesome! Simple but big! I have so many spare parts it will probably never leave my CamelBak. But it is big, and often I don’t ride with a pack. Be nice to have a more compact one to fit in a fanny pack for my short “in week” rides.

What do you use or wish you had?
    Thanks in advance!

2. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    CO2 is my go to. Worth the $ not to put the effort into hand pump'n. Usually donate mine more often than I use it myself.

mtbMike, Old&InTheWay, mike and 8 others like this.
  3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Funny you should say that. I have never had good luck with a CO2. Ofcourse the last time I tried one was in the 90’s.... :whistling:

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
  6. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Mine is pretty crappy, because I had a nice one and it broke right before a ride so I went to the bike shop and they only had one lame freakin choice...

7. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Had the Blackburn for 15 years until the lever broke. Replaced the Blackburn with the Lezyne above. Dreading the day when the little O-rings deteriorate or fall off and get lost. Nothing last forever.

mtbMike, ~JB~, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    UPSed, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 8 others like this.
  9. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
  10. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I use a mini pump from Specialized that clips under the water bottle cage. Always there when I need it.
    I had a Lezyne pump with a hose. The hose part was nice but the pump sucked-you had one job....
    I use Schrader valves now so the pump to valve connection is not really an issue anymore.

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    When I bought my little Dakine Hot Laps Stealth waist bag (don't call it a fanny pack!) I was searching for a pump that would fit in it. Not a CO2, but a good old-fashioned air pump.

I found a Lezyne that fits. It's the kind with the hose stored inside of it.

Lezyne Pump to Scale.JPG

I've actually used it to rescue a guy who was in need. Seems to work, although I like the kind with a lever action better.

It came with a water bottle cage mounted holder as well, but if I am going to carry it there, I'll use my slightly larger Blackburn with a lever top and t-handle. It's still very light.

Mikie, doublewide, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I got creeped out by a story of a rider who was paralyzed by a spine injury he got from a pump in his pack. I’ve landed on my back or rolled out a crash enough times to have that thought stuck in my head. Call me paranoid. Whenever a pump is in my backpack I orient it vertically, and I’m just not okay with one in my hip pack perpendicular to my spine. Yea, probably paranoid...

herzalot, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  13. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    Yesterday at Mount Wilson in Pasadena my buddy ripped his tire so bad that we had to boot it with a plastic water bottle. We wanted to air it up slowly to make sure that it didn't cut the tube. So my CO2 wasn't used. Someone let us use a new OneUp pump and it was the best pump I've ever used. You got to check it out.

image.jpeg

14. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I use this same Lezine ^^^^pump as well, it has a presta and schrader valve and has been great for more than 10yrs. :)

herzalot, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  15. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Yikes! Crazy story, I’d be a bit paranoid too!

herzalot, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have the larger volume Crankbrothers pump, like the one in the picture, but with a larger capacity. I also have the Sterling pictured... They both work, but are nothing to rave about. The larger volume pump inflates quite a bit quicker than the mini pumps, but is noticeably larger to carry. Plus, it's Crankborthers. It might decide to stop working and self-destruct when you need it most. The good news is that they are easy to take apart...

DSC_8353.jpg

17. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
  18. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Wow, I have never heard of anything like that. Scary to think about.

19. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Ibis Ripmo V1
    I use the crankbrothers klic hv without the gauge. It fits in my fanny hydration pack and i like the hose that keeps pressure off the valve stem.

https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/klic-hv

It fills quickly and the magnetic detachable hose is pretty slick.

I tend to adjust my pressure a lot during rides. Usually cause i forgot to check it at home and i run low. I read somewhere that CO2 is not good for long term use, and that you should deflate and reflate with a normal pump.

20. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    I use the OneUp as well. Attached to the frame, not carried in my pocket or pack. It works quite well. I haven't used the C02 part yet, but I have used the tool, but the second time I needed it I couldn't get it out. Need to figure out why that is.

21. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
  22. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    CO2 for me, luckily I haven’t had to use it much. When I first got back into riding 6-7 years ago I bought a hand pump, tested it at home and after 10 minutes of pumping it was barely rideable so I returned it and went CO2. I should probably pick that OneUp system up though since relying solely on CO2 is a risk.

This is what’s in my pack:
    0550D6E0-BEB2-4AD3-A210-1CFE2EEE0F85.jpeg

23. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
  24. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Maybe in that county but over here, he’s mine.

25. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
  26. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
  27. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Looks like 90% of Disneyland attendees

28. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I carry a pump and CO2. I've seen too many people have problems with CO2 to rely on that alone except maybe for local after work laps where I'm not far from trailhead or could uber it easily. I've also had the occasional problem with a pump a couple times when I didn't have CO2.

The bigger issue I had for a while was the presta heads getting clogged, which caused problems with both CO2 and hand pump. I finally replaced the valve stems with the Milkit stems from REI. Seems like it should solve that problem and you can check the sealant levels without letting out all the air. Downside to them is you seem to have to carry a syringe to add more sealant since there is a seal inside the stem. Not a big deal, its light. But some won't like it.

29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Looks like a sweet inflator. But I wonder if the screw-style pressure release would be less efficient for a bead re-set. Anyone tried with this style? Those ones with a spring, they go from 0 to 100% open with one quick push. Nothing to open or close. Pair with a big can and you can really blow up some rubber.

You'll actually save weight by going with a 40 g air can :geek:

@evdog, thanks for the tip. I too have more issues with clogged stems than tire repair. Eh, @sir crashalot?? :oops:

30. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I carry both. Pump for adjustments, CO2 to set a bead or in a rush. I rarely ride without a pump as a last resort.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?