What sort of diabolical creak does my bike have?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Obsidian, Jun 25, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Obsidian

Obsidian Well-Known Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    For the last six rides or so, my bike starts creaking about an hour into my ride. It then gets progressively worse from there. Funny thing is, it never creaks at the start of the ride ... it is perfectly quiet until about one hour in, then it starts ... slowly at first, but loud as hell at about two hours.

I have checked, torqued and greased everything I can easily get to, but even without so much as touching the bike between rides ... it will be silent until about the one hour mark. It is driving me nuts.

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    What kind of creak? Pedal induced? Seated/standing? Under load? All the time?

Where does it sound like it's coming from?

3. Obsidian

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    It sounds like the cranks, particularly left foot downstroke. It begins under load and seated. On Sunday I convinced myself it was the seat or post, because when I stood and pedaled, no creak. However, by the end of the ride it creaked regardless. It is a fully progressive creak that starts off non-existent and then just gets super loud by the he end of the he ride. Every time.

I do have a pivot bolt I cannot get to without removing my cranks ... but when I attempted to remove the cranks I sheared the 4 or 5mm head clean off. That area is pretty much the only area of the bike I have not retorqued. I just do not grasp how my bike will be perfectly quiet for an hour and then progressively start to creak for the rest of the ride.

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Check your pedals. Specifically, check the pedal body on the spindle. If it has any play or rocks....it is a good chance that is the culprit. I have had this issue with pedals, where it just seemed to get louder. It's an easy fix.

Otherwise, you are gonna have to get to that pivot behind the crank.

Also had a wheel that did this....super quiet when the ride would start or when it was cold. As the ride progressed or the temps went up, spokes would start making noise. The manufacturer eventually relaced the wheel.

5. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Funny I just chased down exactly the pedal issue @mtnbikej described... I looked for a while ... The fix take it off clean everything real good little lube on the thread make sure the crank threads and interface is clean .... Walluh

Over the years often the things I have chased the longest ... Turned out to be the easiest...

Including my famous shock issue which turned out to be the bottle whacking and flipping the lever...after sending in the shock....twice :facepalm:

DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  6. Obsidian

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    Cool. I will start with the pedals. They are barely more than a year old, so I doubt that is it. I may even swap back to my old Saints for my next ride. I hope it is not a wheel. Seems like that might be hard to prove to the wheel manufacturer.

7. Obsidian

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    The first thing I did was to take the pedals off, grease and reinstall. For about one hour into my next ride, I was very pleased with myself. LOL.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

What pedals?

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  9. Obsidian

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    Raceface Chester's

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I have experienced both of these as well.

DangerDirtyD and Obsidian like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    I sometimes get similar noise from my chain in certain riding locales when it’s dry out, around 10-15 miles from the last chain cleaning. On AZT I would get it almost every day. More noise under greater load. I’ve taken to carrying a tiny bottle of wax-based lube.

12. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    I had a creak/noise that would get progressively louder through out the ride. To me it sounded like what @mike said, a dry chain. So I would lube it up and it would stop for a lil bit then it'd be back.
    Then I thought my chain was stretched, checked it, it was at .75 on the Park Tool checker so I changed it. Still making noises and creaks.
    Next I changed my aluminum Wolf Tooth chainring to a Sram $15 steel chainring, I getting tired of spending $65 for a ring that lasts about a year! Oh and I put a new cassette on too. Guess what? Quiet as can be!

13. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Call me mister obvious but... usually this is cause by a dry fitting or joint (no lubrication). At the beginning of the ride when the joint is cool, the parts do not rub. With time, the constant friction heats the joint, causing the parts to expand and bind - hence the squeaking. If it happens every ride, and you have lubed most of the joints, it is simply a process of elimination to find the joint you didn't lube.

14. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    I know how irritating these can be, so I'll just toss in my latest solved creak. My rear hub had apparently loosened over time. I noticed a slight wobble in the rear wheel if I pushed it side to side. I tightened it up and the creak went away (as did the wobble). This was a creak that showed up by the end of the ride, same as yours. Good luck!

Obsidian and DangerDirtyD like this.
  15. Bill

Bill Member

Name:
    Bill
    Current Bike:
    old bike
    I had a delayed onset creak like that, it probably was the seatpost, chainring or pivot bolt. Most likely the pivot bolt as it has loosened before with a similar noise and delayed onset.

I fixed my shock lever moving before I embarrassed myself by returning it for warranty. Turns out it was the dropper housing when slack was slapping the lever.

Obsidian likes this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    Chainring?

Obsidian likes this.
  17. Obsidian

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    No idea. I am just glad other riders have experienced the crazy "no creak to super loud creak that does not creak at the beginning of the next ride." I thought I was losing my mind. I plan to tackle one specific thing at a time until I figure it out.

mtnbikej and herzalot like this.
  18. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    It's the fetzer valve. It's all ball bearings these days.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?