What is the best way to buy a new bike these days?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hill^billy, Sep 23, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I can go one better... The EXTRA SMALL is 29.9" on the Yeti website. That's nuts... No pun intended.

For reference... The XXL Hightower has a standover height almost 1.5" lower than the Small Yeti. o_O

2. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Call them back and explain the issue to Backcountry/Competitive Cyclist. They will take it back for sure if you haven't ridden it and *maybe* if you have. I have a friend in Grand Junction that returned a Pivot Mach 5.5 after a month of riding it. They let him exchange it for a different bike altogether.

3. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Beautiful bike Yeti can't ride it. Bummed! Browsing the Hottie thread High heels could work or the good old Testicle Tuck.

4. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Just dress like @LLPoolJ or @DangerDirtyD and everything will be nicely tucked away and safe!

Mikie, Luis, Tom the Bomb and 9 others like this.
  5. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Great idea and look amazing in the process.

6. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Looks like I picked a hell of a day to start drinking!

Mikie, Luis, Tom the Bomb and 6 others like this.
  7. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Jimbo here pointed out this interesting bit of news. Good news is I got a small and as for what I think about the bike? I feel right at home when I ride it!

Mikie, Danimal, Tom the Bomb and 13 others like this.
  8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Isn't that all that matters?

9. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

This is an e- mail I got from my gear head so I was not unwarranted in my thinking.

Hey Doug,

Some of the Yetis do not have a size printed on them I found noticed. Check out the geo numbers on the frame and do a couple measurements. You should be able to tell by the seat tube length (419.1 for the small) and the top tube length (579.8 for the small). Let me know if those numbers don’t match up. We have had issues in the past with this so we require that every frame be hand measured by a bike tech before it heads out the door. If this one slipped through the cracks let me know and I will get it corrected right away.

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, LLPoolJ and 11 others like this.
  10. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

You know,I think it is.

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  11. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

This is an e- mail I got from my gear head so I was not unwarranted in my thinking.
    Must be for good reason! Once I removed a couple of pounds fro the tires I was blown away by the bike!

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, LLPoolJ and 8 others like this.
  12. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Pretty damn funny!

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, LLPoolJ and 3 others like this.
  13. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I do not at all see how a 5’3’ person could ride the bike and feel safe?

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Have you ever been trying to get up something steep, but have to bail on the effort? Yup, that's when standover comes into play. Nothing to do with both feet flat on the ground and everything to do with angles.

15. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    There's Nothing like a good taint bashing.

Mikie, Luis, LLPoolJ and 4 others like this.
  16. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    It's definitely beautiful, but I think you're right about the standover, @hill^billy. :(

I just checked my bike and standover's about 2+ inches, which is something I gotta have. Like you said, it just might keep you from dying. Tipping the bike to get a foot on the ground could send you off the trail and into space. (I'm thinking of an awkward stop on a narrow trail with serious exposure.)

I think it's that straight top tube. They put a curved one on the women's beti and get standovers of 27" small and 28.5" medium.

PS: Ibis HD4 has standovers of 27.3" small and 28.1" medium.
    https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/mojo_hd4/

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  17. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Yesterday in Wrightwood I spent the day with @Tom the Bomb and he educated me on how imoprtant it is to set your bike up correctly as I’m sure @herzalot is a stickler on this subject also. With the high tech bikes these days it’s a must! Before I would use my hand guage and squeeze the tire and say thats good, or look at the shock pressure when the bike seemingly did not feel right? Just throw a leg over and ride!
    We also talked about top tubes and bottom brackets and STAND OVER, yes this is to me very important! Bomb knows his chit!
    I had to make a decision on weather I was going to keep what I bought as a weapon for Moab? And Tom was a big part of that decision! You seal the deal when you put it in the dirt. I’m sure most or all set the bike up at home, we did it in the parking lot cause I did not really have the time.
    I have a lot of faith in Yeti, and shopping for a bike for me takes to much time, so I went with the on line purchase, not to mention the price.
    The other most popular bike is the one everyone has on IMTB the Santa Cruz Hightower. Tom said I may want to consider not going with Yeti and look at a Hightower? Then he mentioned that the bottom bracket is 1/2 in. lo wer that the sb-6. So now in the parking lot I ask myself already knowing the answer what is more important to me? The stand over or pedal strikes? Well I have the Yeti. @Runs with Scissors was sort of right because I did bail on a couple of climbs and it is rare when you bail with both feet and stand over the tube, when you lean a bike it takes the smash out of play mostly. But pedal strikes on the other hand are going to happen and happen often, cutting those odds buy a 1/2” was all I had to think about! I have 1” and a ball hair strand to be exact. :)

18. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Plus one on avoiding pedal strikes, and it sounds like you've got a great mentor. "Bomb-approved" is good-to-go! :thumbsup:

Enjoy your new bike @hill^billy. On the trails for how well it works, and at home for how amazing it looks! :cool:

Mikie, herzalot, pperrelle and 8 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?