What is the best way to buy a new bike these days?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hill^billy, Sep 23, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Could be the build.. I didn't go deep.

2. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I love Jenson, best of both worlds. Online store to check prices and order what you want, still LBS enough to go pick up a built bike and deal in person if you have some sort of major issue that needs to be sorted out. If they have what you want, you can get a killer deal. I paid less for my complete Banshee Spitfire than people on Pinkbike were selling frames for.

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Good people there as well. I have had nothing but positive interactions with them.

mountaingirl sara and Danmtchl like this.
  4. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I tried, they did not have what I wanted, the guy at Jensen said he would check further a few hours ago and never called me back? Oh well!

5. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

It’s done! Yeti 2018 SB-6, I hope I like it! Stole it under 5 with shipping! Thank you all for the generous info and taking your precious time to post it! It really helped!

5D4CCFB6-172E-41A0-99ED-BEB64B298BDE.jpeg

6. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Congratulations! Where did you end up getting it from?

7. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Congrats! Gotta love the new bike stoke! :thumbsup:

8. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Bike co

9. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
  10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Yours only goes to 10? Condolences.:rolleyes::laugh:

Seriously, glad you found what you wanted. Ride it like you. . . Oh wait, you did.:thumbsup:

11. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Dude, so now I need a new meter? How much is that now? Can I get so called meter at Backcountry?

12. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Congratulations Hill^Billy! Is there anyone left (besides Wolfie) rolling on 26” wheels?

13. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I don’t think there is anybody left but I know you don’t need a new bike. But when you do you will be happy!

14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    It'll magically transform while you're riding your bike. It'll go as high as you want it to. :p

15. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

This makes perfect sense.

16. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Backcountry, which by the way is the same company as Competitive Cyclist. And ironicaly my sweet sales lady’s first name was Nirvana , Perfect!

17. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Right on congrats @hill^billy...:thumbsup: Nothing better looking than a shiny new Yeti. Can't wait to see it and chase you around on it.

18. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

So putting my question into perspective, six years ago I bought a aluminum Yeti sb-66 for $4,500.00 from A local bike shop (Dealer) ,also a Yeti 5.5 I bought pretty much everything from this shop, helmets, pedals ,shoes ,gloves, riding attire (spandex) service, a new frame, I don’t think I got any deals, and rightfully so, he is in busisness to make money and live a comfortable life. The sb-66 was a demo bike and in good condition except for a bit of a gouge in the carbon handle bar and maybe a scrape or two on the frame somewhere meaning someone fell down and said I don’t want this thing. So putting 30% on my on line price puts my bike at $6,231.00.
    I just bought a new carbon sb for $200 dollars more than the bike I bought six years ago! Which is better?
    Of course you already knew that, thanks! Good by brick and mortar.

19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Congrats on your new steed, HB! :thumbsup:

20. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Good to hear. I've purchased small items from them before, always worked out well.

21. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Glad you decided to give them a call. I've had several friends get great hook-ups (usually an upgrade or discount when what they wanted wasn't available) there just by taking the time to call. I have no idea how it works but I have one friend that was "randomly chosen" and they sent him a free SRAM XX1 derailleur a couple years back.

I've been spending too much time on Yeti related bike sites myself and received "an offer I couldn't refuse" from Pro Bike Supply on an 2018 SB5C frame yesterday.

22. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I did call them when I realized the only thing on the bike that was xt was the derailer. Since it was a complete bike build and discount they would not budge! I’m elated anyway,

23. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    pic = proof or it didnt happen

24. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I know my LBS doesn't make much money, or try to at least, on new bike sales. They cut extreme deals all the time. They look for repeat business, not one time business.

That said, you didn't take into account the economics of scale and technology changes. It is cheaper to make a new carbon bike now than an aluminum bike then. My 2012 aluminum bike in 2012 had an MSRP of $5k. The modern version of that same bike is now only $4000.

25. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Congrats!!!!!!

26. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

No I did not take that into account, I still feel ecstatically pleased that I have my first carbon frame and better tech for $200 more than 6 years ago , and a never ridden bike to boot. Actually glad I waited and got more than my moneys worth out of my old purchase. I think thats great you have a good bike shop that is willing to fight for it’s life against the internet, just like anything else there are only a handfull, if that, of good shops you that you can have good chemistry with. That being said, I think I have found the guy I want to work on my bike for what things I don’t trust myself with (left to a pro) being my life hangs in the balance! I’m not expecting a dicount, just good high quality thorough work. Yah, I got to drive to hours to get there, that’s just me.

27. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    And still no pics.....:(:unsure:

28. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I can take a picture of where it will be sitting (maybe in my bedroom next to my bed, shortly before I get kicked out) in a couple of days?

29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Works for me. :thumbsup:

30. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

HOLY Sh!t! The beast has arrived! Only took three days, wow!

D2AC575B-7FB3-4EA8-93E1-C46686FB123C.jpeg

Mikie, Stkx66, Diytypeofguy and 17 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?