What have you done to your bike(s) recently?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by SnakeCharmer, Jul 27, 2017.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    It's a goner.

2. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Ordered brake pads and a bike tool on Friday, sitting on my porch Monday afternoon. No fuss, quick and easy.
    Bike tires direct FTW!

mike, rossage, Dirtrider.... and 4 others like this.
  3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Decided I was going to increase the PikeUltimate fork travel on the GG Trail Pistol from 130 to 140. Ordered a newer upgraded nifty model Air Shaft ( forks a 2019, new style shaft is 2020 o_O. Anyway, had a neighbor install it as I watched ( sort of watched). I'd say it took maybe 30 min to remove, clean, install new shaft and Poof! more travel! As I thought, the new shaft is not only longer but rides higher in the travel than the previous. Going to get it dialed, see if I like it and of course let everyone know.

Also, the end caps on the DT Swiss wheels are for a fox fork, ( sent like that from GG :facepalm:) and as noted the fork is a Rockshox Pike. Anyway, the end caps were small so i ordered correct ones at the Path. They arrived today and I installed them. I still need to mount the wheel but now I won't be hunting around for the hole to put the axle in! $45 for 3 little pcs of aluminum.. ho hum....bikes..gotta love 'em.

I did notice the front hub bearings are not super smooth, just a little rough so I "may" need new ones. This strike me as kind of odd as the wheels are almost exactly a year old, and supposedly the bearings are ceramic ( according to the DT website). Go figure. Anyone know link on removing and installing bearings? I was on youtube and the only real vid I saw was older and the guy didn't seem to know what the heck he was doing!
    Can the cartridge bearings be cleaned, or only replaced?

DangerDirtyD, mike, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

You didn’t need to replace the end caps with Torque caps. Been running my Pike with normal caps and it’s not an issue.

you can pop the seal off the bearings, clean them out with WD-40 and pack them with new grease.

do they feel crunchy when they are torqued down in the wheel or when you spin in your hand?

5. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    When I spin it in my hand i feel it kinda rough. They feel good on the wheel. I thought the caps might be able to pop off and cleaned. Need to pull the bearings for that?

And I thought could keep using the smaller size caps..but you know...says it's stiffer, and more control, and all the other BS to get you to buy stuff.

herzalot, mike and rossage like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @Danimal, congrats on the 140 fork. I think you won't find a reason to go back to 130. I had a 140 on my Smash for a long time – on 29er with a good wheel/tire it's pretty much unstoppable. The weez did, surprisingly, go back to 130 on her Pistola. Not because it was better, but because she couldn't tell any real difference. And I can. :sneaky:

The Pistola configuration would work nicely with that new air shaft, eh... ;)

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Nope, leave them in.

rossage and Danimal like this.
  8. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    It's half a Pistola...still 120 in the back which I kinda like and with my mostly XC/trail riding suits me well.

Perfect that would make it easier. thanks I'll check it out and do it that way.

herzalot, mtnbikej, rossage and 2 others like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Well, since you asked...

I purchased a new saddle for my Revel b/c my old Rocket seemed to be rattling. Thought the rails may have disconnected at the nose. Took it off and...wait, there's nothing wrong with this saddle. So what's rattling when I stand and coast? The brand new One Up V2 dropper post. :facepalm: . I'm sure I could take it apart and service the seal - but it's like 12 rides old. My two previous KS LEVs lasted the entire 4 years I owned each bike without failure, noise or even servicing. :mad: . I worked a little grease down into the seal via the stanchion, so let's see if that makes any difference. Place your bets.

I also got a nifty pair of boat anchors to help slow me down a little on the climbs - Shimano Saint clip-in pedals. If you use roadie style mtb shoes, no sense in getting any kind of a platform cage around your Shimano binding, since the sole of the shoe transmits the energy, and your shoe will never contact the cage. But with 5.10 clip-in shoes, one can actually stand on the platform provided by the Saints, and it feels oh so good!

I also got a new water bottle. Jealous?

10. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Got any pics of the bottle?

DangerDirtyD, herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    As you wish. Spectacular unit with its 80s Rock and Roll font! Cannot use it without wearing Oakley Blades and at least some florescent color.

Water Bottle.JPG

Actually, the Dawn to Dusk is more of a 90s grunge font, the Ice Flow is the 80s rock and roll (and out of focus - like many of us in the 80s). This bottle has an identity crisis.

mike, mtnbikej and rossage like this.
  12. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower, Kona Hei Hei
    My back was buggin me over the weekend so I took the time to get caught up on bike projects that I had been preparing for.

Shifted my 36 grip 2, to me trance 29. This required that I make a "custom" 130mm air spring for the 36 which isn't available from fox. I did this by taking a 130mm air spring for a 34, stripping it down to the air shaft and foot nut only (by removing the air piston head, the bottom out bumper/assembly and the negative plate assembly). I think did the same thing with a fox 36 air spring, and took all of the 36 components (air piston head, negative plate assembly and bottom out assembly) and installed them on the 34 air shaft. Voila, my very own 130mm fox 36 air spring. It was pretty straight forward overall, but I had to use some thermal expansion/contraction magic in order to get the negative plate assembly off of the donor 36 air shaft, and onto the new franken 36 air shaft. It's very easy to mar up the gluide ring in the negative plate assembly.

I also installed an STFU bike chain keeper on the trance and did some re-work of the chainstay protection on the bike. I love the trance, but is a very loud bike with regards to chain slap. I'm hoping this will make the bike silent... I love me a quiet bike. Overall the install was pretty easy, but there isn't much clearance back there, so a lot of time went into getting it just right.

I'm currently also playing with some 2.6 rubber to give the trance a bit of a burly edge and some traction back for the summer blown out, loose-bomb hole season. I can't wait to get this thing out on the trail with the upgrades and the grip 2 fork in action.
    14Ftb5J.jpg

I also got the Zeb Ultimate installed on my megatower. It currently has a 180mm air spring installed which is ridiculous. Even on the quick ride around the block I noticed how high the front end felt. That likely wouldn't end up being a bad thing with some of the steeps I've been riding lately. That being said, I want to get a 1/1 idea of how the zeb feels compared to the grip 2. I have a 160mm air spring arriving for this thing today and I'll install that before the first ride. I will say, I'm glad I ended up with the gray, it looks great and matches the sc logo's well. Loving the burly look and the hard edged industrial design of the zeb.
    kvFfJcF.jpg

herzalot, CBone, littlewave and 11 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Burliness! :cool: :thumbsup:

What steeps? Asking for a friend. :whistling:

Want to donate to imtbtrails?