What have you done to your bike(s) recently?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by SnakeCharmer, Jul 27, 2017.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Ok when you get her back check with the Fodster to see if he has or can get you the air can kit and if he can install it for you. He’s a pro with the bouncy parts. Again I’m no pro but if not I can install it for you and look at the shifting issues and at least make it where it stays in gear and shifts reasonably well and the chain doesn’t jump into the spokes.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    @mountaingirl sara - Many of us on here can rescue you from two weeks of bikelessness. And even though you have a road bike, that's not a suitable substitute.

PS: I somehow have two forks and two shocks. Makes it easier to send one in for service.

Faust29, Danmtchl, Cornholio and 4 others like this.
  3. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike Belda
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    You absolutely need to have him check that derailleur hanger. My bike was clicking, popping, and the chain wanted to jump gears. I used a derailleur hanger adjustment tool and made sure the hanger was true. The clicking/popping was still there. I thought for sure I needed a new drivetrain. I tried putting on a new hanger for the heck of it, and problem was solved. I think the neck of the derailleur hanger can get fatigued over time. I’m hopeful you have that kind of luck too. -And shock can maintenance is easy-peezy

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    The only way to fly if one doesn’t work on suspension hisself. Maybe even if he does.

Grab a used shock off Pinkbike for 1-2 hundred. Fork is a bigger deal obviously, but still can negate the need for a second bike, and it’s easy to store.

5. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Will do sir! Looking forward to learning something about the DIY maintenance, even if I just watch Fadi wrench on it:oops:
    Re the gearing, I just let the chain go too long and the teeth on the front and rear cassette are worn down, it def needs to be replaced. And the derailer..I have no idea, but I’ll look to see if SC gave me one in the goodie bag ;)
    @herzalot I agree with you Herzy, the road bike won’t cut it for 2 wks! Hopefully with these new ideas it won’t take that long!:eek: I’m starting to see how keeping some spare parts around is pretty dang genius!:thumbsup: @mike
    Thanks for the intel, @MolarM and glad it worked out well for you!! I hope it’s that easy for my girl as well!!

Faust29, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 7 others like this.
  6. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash
    The search for the right saddle seems to have finally come to an end, with the Chromag Trailmaster being the winning ticket. Perhaps this is a right of passage, but I'm glad to be done with it for now. It immediately felt good pedaling around the neighborhood, and a fair amount of actual seated time today meant a good test. No numbness and no hot spots. Most importantly I simply didn't think about my saddle, except for the times I thought about thinking about it.

Also put on an oval chain ring a week and a few rides ago. Can't say that I really feel any difference, but I also haven't had a chance to do any familiar techy climbs where I might be able to better to compare. No drawbacks that I can perceive either.

D5A82B0C-8917-49DA-932B-3D7750EF7080.jpeg

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    I have one collecting dust in my closet. I rode it three times before I realized it was too wide. I really wanted to like it. I'll sell it to you for a wonderful price.

Faust29, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Got the PNW dropper on the wife’s Trail Pistol. Seems like quality gear, and the Loam Lever brings effortless actuation. Bike tops 30 lbs now.

It barely fit my lass’s short legs. I was sweating bullets before she test fit it. Nailed it perfectly. Tomorrow, Big Chief will be the first serious ride...she will crush it. :thumbsup:

I get to try my OneUp flats.

~JB~, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  9. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Yay, have fun!!!

10. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Mama’s Rumblefish had issue with a warranty replacement Rear RF Turbine R wheel: Seems like rotor position on new wheel is a millimeter or two farther left, and the brake caliper would not scooch far enough away from the new wheel to center the rotor between brake pads. So Dylan at USA Cyclery (place where Bike was purchased) removed just a wee bit of aluminum from the seatstay where the brake adapter screws into the frame, and everything is peachy again.

11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    @mountaingirl sara - What’s the latest? @herzalot is right about being on the dirt. With Wrightwood coming up, I’d try to get as much non-road saddle time as possible.

12. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    I agree, times a wastin’.
    My oldest is getting married in less than two wks, so time is not on my side. But I’ll get her today, and hopefully have her to Fadi by tomorrow if he’s free!!!

Danmtchl, Faust29, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  13. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve Boudreaux
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Today I came home from work in a great mood. Time to prep my bike and boy I've got it going on! I'll have this ready in just a few minutes... I pulled my plusser wheel set, threw on my silent runners, flipped the chip, removed my DVO shock and put on my Cane Creek IL shock I used riding the Kokopelli ride last May. Cool, done ready to air up, lube chain and go somewhere tomorrow. I rode out into the street and checked the sag on the Cane Creek shock. The next thing I know its starts leaking oil. I put it up on the crank stand and then it cracks apart. Oil all over the ground. Damn I'm thinking. That's a $350.00 shock! I removed the shock and am holding it and blam! The black sleeve blows off and lands 25 feet away in the street! Sheesh! Hmm. I put my DVO back on and will ride somewhere tomorrow. I stored it full of air since last May. Bad on my part?

06195D65-881A-4B16-A724-7998F42565F9.jpeg

FD09F807-CF89-48E5-A347-457693A67F32.jpeg

68674DD7-26FD-42DF-97B4-08302835A3A3.jpeg

118902A5-6D32-498A-ABA7-E01EDBD0A41B.jpeg

2A64E5AE-0EB0-462E-BC9F-BF5E2883AFBB.jpeg

~JB~, herzalot, DangerDirtyD and 11 others like this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I think Cane Creek owes you a new shock.

No different than leaving your shock pumped up on your bike and not riding for a while. Maybe seals go bad not riding it.....structural failures don't happen by just sitting pumped up.

15. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    You rode that bad boy to death at Koko! :eek:

That really sounds like a warranty issue... That's nuts.

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Let's not forget that Cane Creek has a very checkered history with reliability when it comes to their rear shocks

Stkx66, Old&InTheWay, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Yes. I had a friend who had a Cane Creek shock with a Fox as a backup. Let's just say the Fox was on there more often than the Cane Creek.

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

I'm sure @herzalot and @Voodoo Tom will chime in.

herzalot, Faust29, Stkx66 and 4 others like this.
  19. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Hey they work bitchin... when they work. I gave up though..

herzalot, Faust29, Stkx66 and 4 others like this.
  20. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve Boudreaux
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    So.. I don't have it " going on " after all.- To be frank, I was lucky that the shock was pointing away from me when it blew apart. The shock was not bound at the pivot points. I was able to rock it in at the swivel point. Not loose and not firm- This is the same shock I put on Courtney's bike and is the same that came factory on my Lynskey titanium mountain bike. Where it broke apart it looks like cast aluminum to me. Cheap at best. I'm disappointed because I was trying to favor American suppliers. This Cane Creek IL shock is a no-go.

DangerDirtyD, mtnbikej, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  21. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Welp, I picked up my baby! Will ride tomorrow to feel out the new drivetrain and the rebuilt rear shock!
    So excited!:inlove:

AB62843C-32E7-44F8-BDAC-909520152545.jpeg

~JB~, CBone, herzalot and 10 others like this.
  22. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Kool! Lemme guess where you're gonna take her. :whistling:

Faust29 and mountaingirl sara like this.
  23. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Haha, I have a few invites for manana. But I’d be ok with a Golden Ride :inlove:

24. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    But we can't see the new drive train... It's on the wrong side! :p

25. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    We can tell it's not a singlespeed....'nuff said. :p

mountaingirl sara and Faust29 like this.
  26. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Elitist:p
    @Faust29 shes shy until she gets her dirt bath ;)

27. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    That's what I thought. :D

Faust29 and mountaingirl sara like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    Interesting. @Stkx66 and I have the same two shocks it seems. That's just nuts that your blew up like that. Glad you didn't get hurt.

My CCDB IL has been flawless since I got it as a rebuild for my previous version. I have a DVO Topaz as a backup that is equally good. The CC is perfect for my bike, and allows a full-size water bottle. The DVO has a piggyback reservoir, so it does not allow the water bottle. Both are stellar.

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    Continued from other threads...

Started to set up my bike for an afternoon ride today, aired up the tires and checked the suspension. Checked all bolts (which I do every ride), lubed the chain - and - what's this, it's squealing when I back pedal. And it's stiff. What the... Ride it a little. Still squealing and protesting forward pedaling and back pedaling. It's the bottom bracket. No doubt in my mind.

I pulled the cranks and tested the BB bearings. Grinding, nearly seized. Not riding today. :thumbsdown::(

I called Laguna Cyclery. No Race Face bottom brackets in stock. I do have the SRAM BB and crankset that came with the bike, can you install that for me? "Not today. You will need to leave it with us." OK. Thanks.

I was headed to Orange to visit my wife's sister, so I stopped in at The Path. Race Face PF 92 for 30 mm spindle? "Yup." Any chance you could pop the old one out and press this new one in right now? Cranks are already pulled. "Yup - no problem."

Done and done. I'll put the cranks back on tomorrow and enjoy the amazing smoothness of a new BB! I should set several PRs. :thumbsup:

30. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    You lucked out Mr! Enjoy your ride today!

mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?