What have you done to your bike(s) recently?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by SnakeCharmer, Jul 27, 2017.

1. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol
    I keep coming back to gawk at this bike. Such a purposeful looking steed.

2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I've been running this saddle for a few months now. Not quite as comfortable as their endurance saddle it replaced but still quite comfortable.

3. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    It feels like it will be a significant improvement over what I had. I wanted to get the SM Comp, but after ordering from, and subsequently getting jerked around for a month by Jenson, and then them being back ordered most everywhere I just pulled the trigger on this one because I found it in stock close by. If you don't mind me asking, what size did you get?

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Aye, Sir Matt. :thumbsup: It took owning one Smash frame to approach perfection, but it's really close now. With the stubby stem and seat so forward, it looks like somebody bought too big a frame. Hehe, noooooooooo... :inlove::thumbsup:

5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Order history shows M/L.

6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Ohhh, yeahhhh!!!

Compliments of Mr. @buggravy, also!

8CE09D03-D130-4961-AAC4-306967ED17F5.jpeg

7. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Who knew that a brand new Hans Dampf would roll better *and* have better grip in the corners than that old destroyed Nobby Nic..

8. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Please report back with satisfaction quotient!

9. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    I also have them on my bike, and love them. Granted, my frame of reference is small, but they feel much better than the Spank Oozys that I had before.

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Danmtchl, mike, Danimal and 12 others like this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Cleaned up......

BA68DAAE-FCF6-4D87-8589-E88DB44F1BD5.jpeg 81992F43-0A8E-4A0E-8192-8C68612E57C5.jpeg

Danmtchl, mike, Danimal and 13 others like this.
  12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Outstanding! :cool::thumbsup:

13. ~JB~

~JB~ Member

Name:
    Juan B Garcia
    Current Bike:
    2019 RFX
    Been riding the SM comp for about 4 months now (small/medium) like it a lot. Ordered it from the Trek Bicycle SuperStore base out of San Diego.

Danmtchl, Faust29 and buggravy like this.
  14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Life is back to normal. The great Mavic mtb wheelset experiment has ended. Verdict: Rims are great. Hubs are trash.

Back to the Giant P-TRX1 front rim that has been bulletproof forever, and a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 EXO TR tire. The Mavic tires are pretty darn good on the trail, but they wouldn't seat for squat. Not gonna try that hard. The Ardent was the usual easy install: Tire on rim sans sealant, one shot from the Bontrager blaster pump and bam! Seated. Deflate, add sealant through valve, done.

I may at some point have the Mavic rims mated to decent hubs.

Always had good results with the Ardent. And with the Giant wheels.
    20190811_142302.jpg

15. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Don't forget the water bottles.:sneaky:

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Sounds like Stan's wheels - great rims, horrible hubs.

I believe Giant rims are DT Swiss, so... yeah, they play well with Maxxis and are nearly bomb-proof.

17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Even better, the hub thingamajiggers are DT Swiss too. :thumbsup:

18. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    The boy's rear wheel snapped two more (I thought it was just one) alloy spoke nipples, so I went overboard and ordered all new 290mm spokes and brass nipples. Probably could have got away with just the nips, but wanted to do it right. The ones on there were 288mm/290mm, but I replaced with all 290mm. Ended up taking most of the afternoon, but Ronin was on cable, so I just watched that in the background. Will hopefully address the problem!

19. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    Nugget Proflex 657
    Keep chipping away at project SS Kirk. Got a bit carried away with the Onza catalogue, grips, tyres, rear ss conversion, cranks and bb all from them. Cranks / bb is complete overkill for the application, made for dirt jumpers and bmx's so built like a brick sh!thouse and weighing about the same. The half link chain worked out perfectly, no need to run a tensioner. Just need to find a non bum breaking saddle and some brakes and it'll be good to go. Thinking I'm just going to run a mechanical disc on the front and v brakes on the rear.

It won't be any lightweight but as a cheap(ish) entry into the world of single speeding I think it will do the job nicely.
    IMG_0613.jpg

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    You do like your oddball projects, that's for sure. Cool result. Best wishes for a long and wonderful relationship! :thumbsup:

21. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    That is very cool... I might know a single speeder or two that you could ride with on this side of the pond. :whistling:

22. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    New Ambush helmet and 2.6 GC Grid tires f/r.
    IMG_20190813_075125.jpg
    New Ambush fits better than the old model... Has Mips and Angi, hope I never need either.
    Tire first impressions are very good. Basically the same tread as the 2.35 version on a bigger casing so the handling was predictable... Grippy even in the loosest corners of El P. The volume begat a kushiness that is greatly appreciated on the hardtail.
    First ride at 20psi on 29mm WTB Rims. Gonna try 19psi next time...
    :thumbsup:

23. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Performed the 1000hr+ fork service on theWFO9’s Pike. Amazingly still had oil in the lowers. I love this fork. Super butter.A08DEF33-8395-4711-A0F6-313E3FA91176.jpeg

24. Obsidian

Obsidian Well-Known Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    I replaced my 2nd gen Reverb with a OneUp V2 dropper. I went with the 210mm, and it is crazy low. I hope it works well ... The Path mech talked me into paying $200 for the new dropper vs. $180 for a Reverb rebuild. I know the Reverb would have started to sag again soon, so why not? Plus dropping even lower never hurts.

Also added a 2.3 2C Maxxis Aggressor at the rear ... I broke a stupid internal spoke and was close to needing a new tire anyway. I rode a 2.5 Aggressor last weekend at SkyPark and thought it hooked up well ... hard to compare different widths and bikes though. Not super thrilled with the look of the 2.3s on my bike and will probably replace them with 2.5s when my front wears out.

25. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Musical saddles, round 3. Will have an Ergon SM Pro in the classifieds shortly.

AD32830F-B9EE-4F7D-B7B4-5661A7942E30.jpeg

26. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I like it... :thumbsup: But, be prepared for the abuse! The first time I rode with @bigringrider101 , we were near the end of the ride, and he looks over and whispers so nobody else can hear, "Isn't that a girls' saddle?" :cautious:

#NoNumbJunkWorthTheAbuse :Roflmao

27. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    A small price to pay, for sure. It IS so weird looking. The salmon jaws aren't what freaks me out, but the snub nose and drawn out/sloping (seemingly pointless) tail make it look like the seat is absolutely slammed back. I can already tell I'm going to need to have a tool handy on the first ride to fiddle with the position.

28. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    @buggravy make sure you give your sit bones a chance to adjust to any new saddle.

29. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    That really applies to this one... with the nose dropped, you’re forced to use your sit bones correctly. If you’ve been sitting on fleshy parts, it’s a new experience...

30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Sounds like worthy advice if you can take the pain!

I think I killed some nerves back there with long rides. Ten years ago I could barely ride half a day without ass pain. Hopeless, I chucked one saddle in the parts bin. Took that saddle out and tried it a couple years ago – totally ridable with no pain! I don't use padded liners unless it's all day. But I do use a wide saddle – the cool-looking narrow "DH" saddle that came with my Smash is a sick joke for pedaling.