What have you done to your bike(s) recently?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by SnakeCharmer, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Two rides back on the single speed, and I threw it up on the stand today to brush off the chain. I checked the dropouts and stem with the torque wrench just to be sure they were all good to go. Then I wiggled the pedals. Hmmmm... Play in the right pedal. Then I grabbed the right crank arm. Uh oh. The play isn't in the pedals. :eek:

I took the crank off (Raceface Aeffect) and checked the torque on the chainring... It was still tight. Spacer looks good... Hmmm.

@mtnbikej says to swap in another set of cranks to see if the play goes away. Rule out the cranks and highlight the bottom bracket. That sounds easy, quick and logical, so I yanked the cranks out of the Hightower and put them in the lizard. Screw in the 8mm bolt, and next thing I know I'm holding half of the bolt in my hands. Uh oh. Houston, we have a problem. :eek:

Thankfully it wasn't even tight when it snapped, so I was able to pull the crank arm off, and gently turn the threads on the bolt to remove them. Early models of the Aeffect came with a self-extracting bolt, but RaceFace switched to a standard bolt in later years, probably to differentiate products higher up the food chain. The self-extracting bolts from other models still fit, so I ordered one... No more crank puller, hopefully. If it works, I'll order another one for bike #2.

Intact bolt on left... new and improved 2 piece bolt on the right.
    58162257389__D7D2D3E0-FA98-42CA-B999-2C5D2FE01369.jpeg

I threw the "wobbly" cranks in the Hightower and the wobble was all gone... Nice and solid. And I "upgraded" from a 30 to a 32 tooth chainring! :p

So, I destroyed bottom bracket number 17 (exaggeration? Maybe... :p) on the single speed. This one was a Race Face and lasted for all of 500 miles. If that... It's probably closer to 300. Time to break down and buy another Hope, like I have on the Hightower. Much better construction, and it isn't disposable.

I just don't think the cheap bottom brackets can take the abuse of a single speed... Too much constant force from standing and mashing. The plastic parts warp... Hope FTW!

That is all. Carry on. :thumbsup:

Stkx66, ~JB~, Cyclotourist and 12 others like this.
  2. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Well, somehow broke rear axle:
    upload_2019-6-7_21-9-38.jpeg
    And big dent in rim:
    upload_2019-6-7_21-11-31.jpeg
    Rebuilt wheel with WTB KOM tough rim, has the new tcs 2.0 system with a durable strip that goes over the spoke holes, is really nice. Also put a WTB Verdict on the front
    upload_2019-6-7_21-16-57.jpeg
    Overkill huh? Turns out I was sent a mislabeled verdict wet by mistake instead, which has taller knobs. WTB is sending me the right one and said I can just keep this.

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    My Raceface Aeffect doesn't do that....

Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

What hub is that?

Cyclotourist and Old&InTheWay like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    The cranks were fine... Other than the bolt. All nice and tight. The bottom bracket, on the other hand, is a steaming pile of dog poo. Time to buy a non-disposable one for that bike.

~JB~, Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  6. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Still can't believe the size of those knobs. Keep that one for next winter's rain!

7. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Pulled my Revive dropper post out after it quit working last ride. The cable was pulling the activating lever but not releasing back to the lock position. Played around with it a bit and it freed itself up. Now it works fine.... Love it when that happens. Put an extra amount of zip ties in the pack tho.

8. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    That’s the plan!

Faust29, Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  9. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Hope pro 2, but the axle is only a year old (last year switched out the old 10 x 135 axle for 12x142 when I got a new frame). Hub shell, bearings and free hub are fine

10. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    All the little booger’s filled thousands of tiny pinholes in your tire.:rolleyes: Nothing to worry about. :whistling: Mount up and ride on!:thumbsup:

~JB~, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Carry a hose clamp. They are light and can fix myriad problems including a slipping seat post.

12. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Another 6803 bites the dust. It's the "8" that's the problem. Not broken but heavily worn and pitted. Vince's freehub was flopping around like crazy.

6803a.jpg

6803b.jpg

Danmtchl, ~JB~, Faust29 and 9 others like this.
  13. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    I carry a Reverb emergency clamp specifically for that situation. But just like a hose clamp, it will not hold the seat in the down position, only up. That's why the need for zip ties. Plus I'd be concerned a hose clamp would ruin the seal of the dropper. The reverb clamp has a beveled out area to go over the seal so wont damage it. Fits perfectly on my Revive.
    Copy of 20190608_114753.jpg

I could see a hose clamp might be useful for some other things, like a big zip tie. I had to connect 3 zip ties together to hold the seat down.
    20190606_105140.jpg

14. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    From the I9s? Guess I oughta check mine on the old bike, but no issue the llast time I put it away wet. "sealed bearings" is quite the misnomer.

15. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    I9 Torch outer freehub bearing. I broke two so far. One of which had less than 300mi on it. Vince wore out his first. YMMV.

The Hope Pro 4 is looking good right now.

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Cool. I didn't know someone made a tool for this purpose, and frankly, I haven't had to try the hose clamp. I would use a strip of inner tube between the clamp surface and the seatpost stanchion, if/when I do need to use it. That said, I never considered the need to hold it in the down position. I figure I rode for years without dropping a seatpost, I can finish a ride with it fully extended.

Danmtchl, UPSed and DangerDirtyD like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    If the Hightower ever goes away, my Hope Pro 4 hubs are staying with me. It was love at first sight. And every ride after. :inlove:

18. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    There's a few spots on TnA that a couple of my body parts would hate me for trying to ride with a fully extended seat. I think even pre-dropper-posts, I manually dropped the seat for those types of downhills. But my legs are short...

19. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad 3
    Very nice to see WTB Verdicts in the wild... the high grip WTB Judge on the front of my bike is done after this weekend. It has amputated nubs where the corner knobs used to be. :whistling:

Did 2 days @ Summit. The 1st day was so good that I needed another... and also wanted to test the RevGrips that shipped on Thursday from San Diego, and arrived Saturday to OC... Thanks USPS :bang:

10 runs non stop top to bottom on day 2, and had less hand fatigue overall vs day 1. I got through 25k of descending in my first weekend ever with lift access, very pleased with that.

gYriN3Gh.jpg

Danmtchl, herzalot, scan and 8 others like this.
  20. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    New bars arrived today so I promptly installed them. Now, if I could just find the time to go ride so that I can get them dialed in. :mad:

IMG_8118.JPG

21. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    I have those on both bikes and like them a lot.

22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Well the Hightower came back with a sizable flat spot....so I ordered up a new rim.

Showed up today.....built up fast and straight.

First time building up a rim with offset.

IMG_5142.jpg
    IMG_5143.jpg

23. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    Unfortunately, nothing

24. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! :thumbsup:

25. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol
    Is a brake bleed (rear specifically) a common need on a newish bike as it breaks in? Or do certain (bad) riding techniques cause air to get into the line? Had to have the rear brake on the Smash bled recently, after 200ish miles. Feels great since. After only 3 rides on the Trail Pistol the rear brake is super spongy, and at the bottom of a descent on Sunday the lever came within 1/4" or so of the grip and didn't feel like it was providing much stopping power. Wondering if I'm doing something to cause it.

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Depends on the brake. By Guides needed a bleed after the first month or so.....it was super simple and they felt great afterward. Haven't had to touch them since.

My prebled SLX's went spongy after about 3 months. I find I have to fiddle with them every few months.

27. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    It most likely means that the brake was never bled properly in the factory.

28. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol
    Thanks, I also have Guides on the TP. Codes on the Smash.

Cool, hopefully that's it. Thanks :thumbsup:

29. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Bronson CC v3
    Got the ye ole Lufftkappe installed on my 36 grip 2 last night after work but wasn't able to try it out today. My good friend Carla was in town whom I only see every couple of years so a beer and a catch up convo at Laguna Beach Beer Co was in order:D. Testing of said upgrade commences tomorrow after work:thumbsup:.

30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My XT Trails (M8000) seem to need a bleed every couple of months. Not sure why. My rear lever will occasionally go to the bar when the trail gets super choppy - like at the end of Rock-It, or halfway down the luge. Not really the best places to not have a rear brake.

Calling @tbarnesarc ... make my bike bleed. Lunch or dinner at Husky Boy on me!

Faust29, ~JB~, Voodoo Tom and 7 others like this.