What have you done to your bike(s) recently?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by SnakeCharmer, Jul 27, 2017.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Perhaps the lever needs a bleed. If not a minor servicing should help.

2. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Sounds like the same problem I was/am having. New bike is on the menu..... And I'm still hunting down the clunk.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  3. Stkx66

Stkx66 Member

Name:
    Steve Boudreaux
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    I had my 2014 Reverb rebuilt on my Bronson. After spending $150.00 for the rebuild at my local bike shop it didn't work any better. I'm quick to abandon the Reverb now for the Fox. No complaints so far. Time will tell. Seems to be a lot of hit and misses as far as droppers go. For a quick band aid on the Reverb I cleaned the post well and wiped it down with Sram Butter and then wipe the butter off. That helped with sticking for most of a typical day ride.

Faust29, Danmtchl, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    If we consider what a dropper post has to do (support our weight at an angle with moving parts and seals under pressure), it's no wonder that they fail as often as they do. With that in mind, I chose KS droppers because their service center is right there in da OC. That makes for a fast turn around. :cool::thumbsup:

5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    My stock Race Face Aeffect dropper just started slipping about 3cm. Noticed it the last two rides. It doesn't go any further than that, and the rest of the features are fine. I played around with slackening the cable and that seeeems to maybe have addressed it. I think there's an ability to check the air pressure on it, which I need to check. I hope it's not going out, as I like it up to this point. It it holds at that point, I'll just raise the post 3cm!

Faust29, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  6. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Rainy day women #12 & 35

Got the new Specialized Eliminator Grid, 29X2.3.
    IMG_20181204_152524.jpg

Fat bottom girls...
    IMG_20181204_154206.jpg

The FastTrack is a small 2.3...
    IMG_20181205_073542.jpg

The Eliminator says 2.3/58 Measures 2.4/61 from edge of knob to edge of knob on 29mm internal rims. Win!

Beefy!

IMG_20181205_084013.jpg

7. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Wrong tire for the forum, you will be shunned for such behavior chubby.

mike, Faust29, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Just play the first song and have a great day!
    file.jpeg

Faust29, Danmtchl, mike and 5 others like this.
  9. Derek13

Derek13 Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower and Chameleon
    Using a good shock pump, take your seat off and find the dropper valve. Make sure there is 220-230psi in the dropper. My Aeffect only had 115psi when I checked it last month. Works well now. Better then my Reverb...

mike, Faust29, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  10. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Oh yeah, set up very easy with Gorilla tape ghetto tubeless. Used a threaded Schrader valve from a discarded tube at the shop.
    4oz of Orange Seal holding at 40 psi...

mike, Faust29, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Thanks, Derek! There is very little info on this dropper... I found this one posting that was pretty good: https://nsmb.com/articles/race-face-aeffect-dropper-post-teardown/

I'll pump it up tonight... betcha' that is the problem!

mike, Faust29, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  12. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9
    About time you got a rear tire with some gusto.

mike, Faust29, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  13. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    The FastTrack was pretty good when it was brand new. But, with only minimal wear, it just spun under load and it was very easy to skid at any point during braking. No flats or tears so the Grid sidewalls work, for me.
    I still run the "less than beefy " Minion SS on the rigid bike, but it has way more edge knob support to make up for the mini center tread.
    The Eliminator will be paired with a GC 2.3 up front. Should be a good set up for a San Gabes winter.
    Testing soon...

herzalot, Faust29, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  14. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    That thing is gnarly. Like a minion.

15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    I’m awaiting a post from @Voodoo Tom about brakes... Hope you got/are getting it sorted!

Faust29, rossage, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  16. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Pads were shot, paper thin. Just recently switched the Hightower to resin pads and while they are silent and work great they sure don't last long on some of the trails we've been riding...:Roflmao Gonna do a fresh bleed also just in case.

17. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    The knock from a suspected bad BB bearing is still there. The odd thing is that I have to be riding for a few miles before it starts up. I need to check the chain ring bolts, hopefully they are tight.

UPDATE: All 4 chain ring bolts were loose! :mad:

Is it OK to use loc-tite on them? They are torx wrench bolts and I can't seem to cinch them down the way I'd like to to.

herzalot, Faust29, mike and 3 others like this.
  18. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    For the pickers and peelers... You know who you are;)
    IMG_20181205_150014.jpg
    So satisfying but stinky!

Danmtchl, LLPoolJ, scan and 7 others like this.
  19. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9
    Is that orange seal? Stan’s doesn’t come off nearly that neatly.

What kinda stinky?

Danmtchl, Voodoo Tom, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  20. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeah that's Orange Seal. The smell is oddly reminiscent of my Chinese wife's stinky beans... :gag:

Danmtchl, mike, LLPoolJ and 5 others like this.
  21. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I have an eliminator 2.3” 27.5” on the back. It’s a great rear tire. I had the 2.6” version on the front, didn’t like it as much, knobs narrower than casing side grip wasn’t great on Chiquito. Replaced it with this monster:

upload_2018-12-5_16-39-36.jpeg
    WTB vigilante 2.6”. Also 29 mm rims.

Danmtchl, mike, Cornholio and 5 others like this.
  22. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    It had dropped to 150psi. I pumped it up to 230, but didn't get to ride it. Should work wonders!!!

Danmtchl, mike, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  23. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    Swapped out the old 680mm alloy bar for a 720 carbon on my hard-tail 29er. Shorter stem now at 60mm down from 90 and had to add a 5mm spacer as the new stem was that much shorter. Small change, seems pretty nice. Find out more tomorrow when I put it through its paces. Got a set of security torx bits today so I am set to work on a pretty nice microwave oven that I picked up for free. My project for tomorrow. :) The fun never ends.

Danmtchl, ~JB~, mike and 6 others like this.
  24. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Passing on the youngest kid's Rockhopper to our neighbor, so cleaned it up, lubed the chain, checked the brakes, and flipped/lowered the stem. It's not a looker, but it's great for a kid that's still growing!

16414641826_e200ee3ea2_b.jpg

25. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower, Kona Hei Hei
    This is a known issue with the transfer. 9.999/10 you have the seat post clamp too tight. Make sure it's tq'd to spec, however, many people (and bike shops) report that some fox transfer's do not operate smoothly when teh seat post clamped is tq'd tight enough where the post does not slip.

I went for a ride sunday and cracked my rear wheel. It was my fault, this section has been getting rough and rougher and I thought to myself on the way up, remember to slow down here Erik, this is getting rocky. Just as I remembered that on the way down and yanked on the brake lever I heard a loud crack and knew the wheel was toast immediately.

Oh well. This wheel has about 2k miles on it and many trips to the bike parks, countless laguna laps and many of those runs were made with 25-26psi on a 2.3 with an aggro 180lb rider. This was bound to happen eventually. After this, I proceeded to finish my ride and rode this at 70% down the luge with a tube in it, no issues.

Even though I am not historically a wheel killer, it makes me pause on the idea of carbon wheels all the same. I really enjoy them on this bike, but that likely wouldn't be the case had i been on a destination ride and was having a rando shop relace this with whatever they had in stock. An aluminum wheel would have been dead after this hit too, I'm certain of it, but I could have bent it back with pliers and finished said destination ride. Maybe the sweet spot is mid wide (30mm ID) AL rear with wide (35mm ID) CF front?
    IMG_20181209_144202.jpg

Danimal, rossage, pperrelle and 5 others like this.
  26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Not enough time on it for a comprehensive review, but after a couple of good rides.... Bontrager SE4 Team Issue 29 x 2.6 on the rear of my Smash is a confidence builder on rough trail, irregular embedded rock and loose chunder; a bit of a floaty feeling with unreasonably good tracking. Not unlike the XR4 I've borrowed from the Pedälhead, very predictable, rounded profile. Takes noticeably more work to get it up the grades than 2.4. Still, I think the 2.6 29er size is a sweet spot for trail riding. I look forward to more options from other mfrs. Meanwhile, that 2.6 SE2 looks pretty appealing for a rear at 895 g.

27. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower, Kona Hei Hei
    I'd pause before throwing an SE2 on anything. I used the XR2 to replace a 2.35 ikon on the back of my trail bike and I prefer the ikon. More testing needs to be done for sure. It certainly rolls fast but it does not inspire confidence, even when compared to an ikon.

28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I keep going and trying tires hoping that they will outshine the Ikon....but I still haven’t found anything, and keep coming back to the Ikon....for me, it just works.

29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    I'm guessing that was a comparably-sized XR2. Was it a Team Issue? I saw huge differences in the XR3's durability between TI and Comp, FWIW.

The concept of a smoother but larger 29er tire doesn't seem to be taking hold en mass. Maybe I'm unaware? Ardent Race or something of that ilk in 29 x 26 would be dreamy. Wife runs it in 275 x 2.6, but I guess we niner riders get to pound sand. The Rekon 29 x 2.6 performed decently but seems more race-day than daily driver, yet not a race tire (???).

I'm sold on 2.6 size; just casually looking at my eventual SE4 replacement, hoping to make long days easier without feeling like I'm on a XC rig in the rough stuff. No question I'll try that SE5 in front when my DHF is smoked.

30. Derek13

Derek13 Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower and Chameleon
    I am also a bigger guy and ride a bit rougher then I probably should. I have had my rear aluminum wheel serviced twice in the last 5 months at The Path. I also have been weighing the options for new rims between beefier alloy or carbon. Any feelings or fears I have about the strength and safety of carbon has been all but eliminated recently from watching a couple video clips. Of course, it's not always easy or wise to believe everything (anything) we see online, but I don't think Santa Cruz has anything to gain by faking a product video. Backed by a lifetime warranty, the Reserve hoops have my vote as one of the better options. Good luck wit your wheels and let us know how it goes.

DangerDirtyD, UPSed, CBone and 5 others like this.