What do you want to do to your bike(s) in the near future?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Derkderkall, Feb 13, 2018.

1. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol
    Have they given you any recent ETA? A guy stopped me on the trail last week to ask about my bike, and said he’d just ordered a size 2 Shredd Dogg the day before, and was told he’d get it in 4-6 weeks. I refrained from bursting his bubble. I’m sure it will be very worth the wait though.

herzalot, mike and UPSed like this.
  2. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    I'm thinking very strongly about ditching my SRAM level ultimate brakes for new XTR. I've never been happy with them.

herzalot, mtnbikej and UPSed like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    What is it that you do not like about the Srams?

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Kool-aid would connote unworthy hype. There’s nothing unworthy about being the first US MTB mfr to produce a line of domestic carbon bikes, ones that ride as good as anything else out there. Or dialing in an adjustable reach headset. And been able to do it all through their ingenious model of the single front tri, enabling changing your bike to a different model. No hype there.

If you buy a bike based on looks, I can see why these innovative designs might not do it for ya. Like when tapered head tubes came out, people couldn’t handle it. Now look.

herzalot, DangerDirtyD and Danimal like this.
  5. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Waiting for the GG Pistol!
    I emailed yesterday asking about ETA, got a reply today saying should ship end on next week. Of course I'm scheduled to be in Nor Cal for work the week after that....
    I can hope and dream it's accurate though!

4-6 weeks hahahahahaha

herzalot, DangerDirtyD and mike like this.
  6. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Waiting for the GG Pistol!
    I had Sram brakes fail on me down the luge, went straight to the path and bought XTR trails. That was 7 years ago, they are on the second bike and have never failed. I have to say, probably the best value ever in mtb components for me. I might even bring them to the next bike.... No probably not. But damn they're good.

herzalot, DangerDirtyD, mike and 2 others like this.
  7. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo & Intense Primer
    I disagree that it equates to unworthy hype. It was just a simple jab/play on words on the oft-repeated claim that Santa Cruz is the "bandwagon" bike of IMTB and I think Santa Cruz makes some of the best bikes out there. I just have a problem with the committee choosing their color schemes otherwise I'd probably have one....or two. As far as choosing bikes based on looks, you're damn right I do and I've brought up that conversation before. I wouldn't buy a bike, car, shirt, dog or house that I thought was ugly no matter how good it performed. As far as bikes go nowadays, they are all so good for the most part that it's all about the engine anyway and what you or I think is fantastic, another person may not so you might as well buy something you enjoy riding...and look good while riding it.

scan and DangerDirtyD like this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Hehe, I know what the kool-aid reference means, brother Mike. Jonestown massacre; a bunch of people blindly led to death by a cult of personality promising a glorious outcome. So definitely, when someone pins that popular kool-aid rap on something, it means it’s a hollow promise. It’s not a play on words. :)

DangerDirtyD and rossage like this.
  9. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    They grab really well, but don't modulate well. Its like all or nothing (for me at least). I really noticed it when I rode by SS recently (it has XT). I hadn't been on it in a while so it was really noticeable. They have a weird grabby feel too (like notchy)

The big thing is they have been warrantied twice for sticking pistons or bad seals. I also struggle to keep them aligned or not rubbing the rotor. I've had a bunch of bikes with Shimano and have never had this issue before.

To be fair... I have always been a Shimano guy (especially with brakes) so I am probably partial and so the poor feel is probably as much mental as anything else. :laugh:

10. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad 3
    Ran the 2.5 WT (Assegai) anyway, it seems to fit better than the 2.4 Judge on the rim, but is noticeably bigger looking at it from the cockpit. I am not seeing the sideknob degradation I was seeing before so the issue is not as distressing as before, but I know this is still a small sample size.

Ordered this in anticipation of finding a 170 36 in my budget to replace the 160 Pike.