What do you want to do to your bike(s) in the near future?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Derkderkall, Feb 13, 2018.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Based on Rock-It and Meadows....

Mikie likes this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Ahhhh - Rock-It is definitely the trail I ride most frequently - so by that definition, it is a favorite. Emotionally, it's just OK. Meadows really is a fun one for me, although I don't ride it that frequently. It doesn't offer any tech, but it's such flowy fun - if not interrupted by other users (the nerve of others, right?).

I think 5-Oaks is the trail I ride second most often, not including climbing Cholla. My "favorite" legal trail in Aliso is Car Wreck, but I don't ride it that often. Such a feeling of satisfaction if I can nail the 4' drop, then the off-camber rock garden that follows. And the upper rock garden is Rock-It on steroids.

But, I digress. This is about what I want to do to my bike. Shorten it.

3. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower, Kona Hei Hei
    In time you adjust to the length of the mega. It was definitely the thing i noticed the most when i first got the bike but now I don't notice it at all, mine is the xl so it's particularly massive. Ironically, i find that it's easier for me to ride on switchbacks at time than my much shorter XL giant trance 29 (1220 wb on the trance vs 1260-1270 on the mega). I mostly attribute that to the fact that it's easier to weight the front end of the mega with confidence then it is the trance 29, and that's the deciding factor while dealing with switchbacks.

As far as stuff i'm going to do to my bikes... I'm doing fork services on my chameleon, mega and my trance. I've been running a sd ult coil on my mega for the last few rides, and i'm in love. I'm going to take the travel reduction spacer off and long shock the bike to a 230x60 shock (stock is 230x57.5) so that the bike has 170mm of rear travel. Quite frankly, i've become so comfortable on the megatower that riding my trance has become difficult. The difference in geo is causing me some issues and I'm now considering swapping my trial bike to something with more similar geo.

mike, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    I have 20 substantial rides on it. How much more time should it take? Long travel, slack 29ers in XL or XXL are just big - there's no way around it. They will always feel big when going slow and/or negotiating tight spaces and/or catching air. But yes, in time, muscle memory (of previous bikes) fades and you adapt to what's normal.

bvader, mike, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  5. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower, Kona Hei Hei
    It took me a handful of months to truly jive with the bike. I had two particularly bad washouts in that time frame and I was struggling with quick direction changes during that time period. Ultimately there were a few things that helped.

1- Lowering my bars/stem. This bike has way more stack then anything I've owned before. That means it's even longer than it's numbers suggest. Long reach + high stack height is not the same as a bike with the same reach but much less stack. I found that for me, running like 5mm of spacers under my stem helped me with my steering confidence and weighting the front. Typically, i run 30-35mm riser bars and run spacers under my stem... not so much with this bike.

2- Dialing in the suspension starting points. The rear of the bike is surprisingly not all that sensitive to sag position for suspension performance like vpp3 bikes are (og hightower etc). That being said, I think this bike may be more sensitive to front/rear sag and suspension balance then previous bikes I've ridden/owned. That's all conjecture... but what I think it means to me as a rider is that it became more important than normal to always be considering the front/rear weight balance changes that I was experience while adjusting air pressure in either fork or shock. I also find that it's pretty sensitive to the compression settings wanting to be balanced front to back. IMO, this bike ships with a rear shock tune that's like 1 step firmer than it needs. On the SD Air, I ended up at like -6 to -7 on compression. It's really rare for me to run a bike this open as I usually prefer to keep a platform of support to keep the bike playful. To match that on the front I run my HSC very open on the fox 36. Some where around -11 to -14 depending on terrain. If I'm doing jumps I'd occasionally firm it up to -8 HSC, but that would be only for my best days when I'm most on it and putting a ton of energy into the bike. LSC in front, tune to taste but I'm usually around -6 or so. All settings from full closed fwiw.

3- Rebound. Again... I rarely run with my bikes as open/fast on rebound settings as I am on the mega. I will say that this is one area where the bike seems to excel with a coil shock in that I can run the rebound faster and I don't get a sketchy and un-controlled response from super deep impacts (HSR seems a bit off on the stock SD Air shock). That being said, I still am running -6 to -7 on rebound and I'm 175lbs and running around 210-220 psi depending on jumps or steeps.

4- Low or high rear shock setting? Generally, I prefer to run the bike in high... however for my transition period I moved the bike to Low to get it to turn a bit better and I think that was a good move until I just got used to the length of the bike and where my hips needed to be. That may help you as well.

5- Lean the bike until you think it's going to wash out, then lean it some more. This bike wants to be leaned. No seriously, I thought I knew how to lean a bike over but in retrospect, the megatower taught me that I did not.

Anyway... let me know when you're going to be getting back on the bike and I'll cruise down to your area and we can go on some rides together, carry the shock pump and get you dialed in. I had a similar relationship with my mega that you are seeming to have on yours. I jelled with it immediately on my demo rides, more than I've ever jelled with a demo bike before. That's pretty rare for me, I usually need some setup time to truly love a bike. However, shortly after the honeymoon was over I had a few rides and was struggling a bit. Ultimately, as I ramped up the speeds and forces a bit, I ended up discovering that there were some setup issues that were causing poor weight distribution and thus, were causing me to fight the bike.

bvader, scan, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  6. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Shimano Saint brakes make everything gravy.

Mikie, pperrelle and UPSed like this.
  7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3 & FEX
    If you’re a big guy, you’ll need a big bike.

Imagine a properly built/fitted frame for Shaq? :eek:

Mikie and pperrelle like this.
  8. Obsidian

Obsidian Well-Known Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    I would really love to put new rotors and pads on my bike. Unfortunately, I need yet another special tool to get the lock ring off the rear, because the tool I bought with the rotors only works on the front lock ring. :mad:

Anyway, I guess I should have checked beforehand. I have the 2nd special tool on order. I will eventually have new pads and rotors on my bike. :p

20200520_155810.jpg

That said, I love the instructions that came with my 180 mm rotors .... "Do not use." :cautious:

20200520_155629_crop.jpg

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Thanks for this detailed response, I appreciate it.

I'll respond to a few items,
    1.) I noticed the same thing about stack height. At first I thought - how awesome! I finally don't have to have a riser stem, riser bars and 30mm of spacers!. I do have a 35 mm riser bar, and I have already gone 10 mm shorter on my stem and took out 5mm of the 15mm of spacer under the stem. I will remove 5mm more.

2 and 3) I am usually very good at dialing in my suspension, and I believe I have it dialed in on the Meg. The rear (RS SDU air) runs great at about 30% sag. My shock doesn't have a HSC adjustment, and I have the LSC turned all the way out. I could dial in a little bit to prevent bottom out on a bigger (but slow) hit. My Lyrik (RCT3) also does not have HSC. I run 2.5 tokens, 70 psi 4-8 clicks of LSC (I adjust this per trail) and just enough rebound damping to keep the front tire from jumping off the ground when doing the compress and release test.

4.) I have been running it exclusively in the high setting. I prefer the short chainstay setting. I will try the low shock mount with short chainstay when I start riding again.

5. No. It will be a long time before I am interested in testing limits again. I am sure what you say is true, but after two serious and recent slams back to back, I cannot afford another hard fall for another 5 years. Unless I want to get fired and divorced. I don't want to ride defensively, but I don't want to push boundaries either.

Thanks for the offer. I would like to ride with you. I can always learn from better riders, and one who has the same bike with more experience on it is bonus.

bvader, scan, UPSed and 8 others like this.
  10. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Behold
    The dirty sixer

Screenshot_20200520-213429.jpg

11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    May be time for a new chain on the roadie. Weirdest thing yesterday...felt like the BB bearings were grinding after my last ride, so I took the cranks out and cleaned everything up, hopped on and rode it around the block to check. Seemed to be wanting to ghost shift too. Then without warning the chain fell off. Quick link let go - not broken, just came undone. I put it back together and it seems fine now, but need to adjust the RD a bit.

Strange.

12. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Definitely gremlins.

mike likes this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

DangerDirtyD and mike like this.
  14. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion Well-Known Member

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Maybe it's been a while since I've updated my brakes, but, WTF is up w/ Lock rings? It's not a track bike!

Due respect to Shaq, the guy sells cut-rate car insurance. I'm pretty sure you can pay him to ride or do ANYTHING.

upload_2020-5-21_23-44-43.jpeg

15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Vendetta/Smash
    I’ll replace the chain I stole off my Smash, but my stoke is so strong on the Vendetta that it’s not the least bit urgent.

I actually want to ride the HTSS more than my FS. That hasn’t happened in...ever. AYE!!!!!!!

SnakeCharmer, UPSed, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    That's how it starts. And then you get back on the FS and it just doesn't feel the same anymore.
    "What did I need all that monkey motion for?"
    "Feels kind of dead back there"
    "This HT is just so playful!"

And then a bike gets sold on Pinkbike.

17. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    A new seat. I could use an upgrade from the stock seat lol.

SnakeCharmer and mike like this.
  18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Vendetta/Smash
    Okay, but remember that asses get harder with use. I'm serious. I took off an unbearable stock WTB Silverado when I started riding more, and ten years later I can ride that saddle no problem.

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    As long as you think of it as a seat, nothing will feel good. It's only one of three major points of contact - hands, feet and your ass. Balance your weight accordingly and you won't need nor want a "comfy" seat. Ain't no beach cruiser!

(I am only slightly exaggerating here. Some saddles are unbearable to some riders - even those with tough taints and many miles).

rossage, tick, mike and 2 others like this.
  20. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    ^ Excellent points. After 15 minutes in I don't even notice it...but those first 15...haha

rossage, herzalot and mike like this.
  21. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3 & FEX
    What I really want to do is trace down this annoying click I've got on the non-drive side of the BB area. The bearings are brand new. It could be a bad bearing in the pedal, though. :mad:

22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Can you reproduce it? Is it perfectly cyclical? Does it only happen under load? Is this your hardtail or Full Sus? So many different things can sound like a problem from the bottom bracket.

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Fresh build on the HT? Check and make sure the BB didn't loosen up after initial install.

Pedals are easy to service.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?