What Chain Lube Works Best for You?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Mikie, Jan 1, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    :laugh:

3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I reached down in front of the counter at the Path a couple weeks ago... And there was a blank spot where the R&R Gold usually is! :poop: :D Brian recommended that I try the T-9. As usual, it was a good recommendation from the guys there.

Its maiden voyage was in Oregon on the Highball, and it seems to hold up well. :thumbsup:

4. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Was at the path yesterday to pick up chain lube . Figured I'd ask which they recommend, the answer was perfect.
    Any chain lube, just use one. Made be chuckle.

The t9 is a good lube but damn did it attract and hold dirt. Think I still have the slightly used bottle somewhere in the garage where, it will stay .

-ROCKY-, Mikie, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  5. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    My local shops stopped carrying R&R Gold.:mad: What's up wit dat? Seems it's getting harder to find.

-ROCKY-, Faust29, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  6. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Crude FTW!

7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I order it from Jensons, have two bottles on the shelf. When one is empty, I place my order. Rock and Roll Gold is totally GOLD! Can’t be without the best lube in the universe!

8. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Picked up some at Jensons today. It's been a long time since I Rock-N-Roll'd.

-ROCKY-, Faust29, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  9. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Reviving this thread...
    Re-asking folks what they use for chain lube, but with the redefined question(s):

• What chain lube do you use?
    • What led you to use it and why?
    I used to use White Lightening but changed a couple of years ago to Rock-N-Roll Gold because of the members here on imtbtrails.
    I like it A LOT!
    I like how I saturate the chain with it, spin it several revolutions and it seems to draw the dirt out of the links and then you wipe it down thoroughly until dry. Super quite and super clean. looks and feels unlubed and lasts all day in dry conditions. I can go several rides without doing it again but often lube it every other ride just cuzz.

But I do notice that with one or two splashes through a water crossing I got the crunch crunch crunchies going on the rest of the ride.

I would struggle to go back to an oil. I'm a firm believer that oil attracts dirt and why would I want to attract dirt to my very expensive drive train?

Danmtchl, -ROCKY-, Cornholio and 5 others like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Dumonde-Classic-Lite-2-oz-700sq.jpg

https://www.dumondetech.com/portfolio/bicycle-chain-lube-bcl-lite-formula/

Our standard LITE chain lube is a liquid plastic and through polymerization forms long-lasting plating on all chain surfaces.

• “Riding in” forms an extremely low-friction plating.
    • Plating bonds to chain; can’t be washed off!
    • Components stay cleaner, last longer, run quieter.
    • Extremely durable, outlasts all other chain lubes!
    • Environmentally sensitive and saves money.
    • To be applied sparingly unlike many other other lubes.
    Lite and Original Bicycle Chain Lube (BCL) differ only in their concentration. Lite BCL is less concentrated for easier application and optimum performance.

We recommend the Lite Bicycle Chain Lube for road bikes.

You can confidently use Dumonde Tech’s Bicycle Chain Lubes on all cables, pivots points and seals. Safe on plastic, rubber and all seal materials. The product is designed to not harm your components. Eco-friendly and environmentally sensitive, our products are engineered to perform with minimal “carbon footprint” by not washing off in water, to use sparingly, lasts longer between applications, your drive train lasts longer. Very good performer in the extreme cold conditions.

Preparation and Application of Dumonde Tech Lite Chain Lube:

To prepare for maximum performance from Dumonde Tech Lite Chain Lube, use a high quality solvent to thoroughly clean and dry the chain before the first application. You will only need to clean the chain once, prior to the first application of Lite. For optimum performance, 2-3 applications is required for the bonding process to occur through polymerization.

Apply sparingly and wipe off excess lubricant with a clean cloth to the point where the chain’s outer surface appears dry. One ounce of Dumonde Tech should give you at least 10 applications. Refer to FAQ if you experience a wet and/or dirty chain after riding.

Re-apply Dumonde Tech Lite only when you begin to hear your chain; sound, not appearance or time, is the best indicator of when the chain needs a reapplication of Lite. Use mild soap and water to clean between applications.

Danmtchl, -ROCKY-, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  11. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I said it 4 years ago and I repeat today, and frequently...
    IMG_20190320_153803.jpg

If you follow the directions properly, you will be rewarded with a clean, noise-free, drivetrain.
    I have been using the Original Blue this wet winter. I could go through 2-3 rainy rides with stream crossings without re-application.

Just saw that @mtnbikej just slid in before me.... Good job!

Obsidian, -ROCKY-, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  12. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    This is what I use as well and has worked well for me in the wet and dry conditions. Have you ever seen their coffee lube @rossage @mtnbikej ? I believe they discontinued it though.

-ROCKY-, Mikie, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

:unsure::unsure:

-ROCKY-, Cisco Roots, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  14. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
  15. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Dumonde Tech Lite.

16. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    It sounds like you, me, and @knucklebuster had about the same experience recently. On our Chino Hills ride the other day, there were several water crossings in the beginning. By the second or third one, my bike sounded like a folding lawn chair from the 1960s. It was freshly cleaned and lubed with Rock N Roll Gold before the ride. I didn't think my bike and I were going to be able to finish... It was that bad.

Upon the suggestion of our ride mechanic, I washed it off. You can get pretty good pressure from a water bottle... :p It quieted down enough that I could continue, but it was definitely not great.

It seems like the RnR works great... Up to a point. And then it goes to hell. It will clear dry debris from the chain, but it seems that this wet winter and all of the water crossings have exposed its weakness. At least it has for me.

The Hightower got the Dumonde treatment first... Take the drive train off, soak in Simple Green, hang to dry, and then lube with the Dumonde- one link at a time. My wife's large stainless mixing bowl makes a great parts' bath. :whistling: I'm fairly certain that the drive train has never been that quiet. It was absolutely silent for our Old Camp ride the other night. The crazy thing is that you can feel the difference in resistance. On our Chino ride the other day, it was more effort to turn those grinding links and cogs... :gag:

The Tin Lizard got the same treatment yesterday...

-ROCKY-, knucklebuster, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  17. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Bort
    Current Bike:
    Like electrical current bike?
    Third post in this thread and still using the same lube, I usually stock up a couple/few bottles with REI gift cards that I get from family every Christmas.

Faust29, -ROCKY-, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  18. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    I use Rock n Roll since I had my stumpy and it works for me. I tried the the WD-40 lube because it was recommended by one on jensons mech but I didn't like it and gave it to a friend who did not like it either.

Faust29, -ROCKY-, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  19. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    I think Rock n Roll must have changed their formula at some point. It worked well for me for a long time, but more recently - like others have said - it would be gone after the second stream crossing. The "Extreme" version that they came out with was somehow even worse. I've gone back to Dumonde and I'm happy so far.

Faust29, -ROCKY-, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

This is what I don't like about RnR Lube. Read the application instructions:

• Apply the lube on the chain, over the top of the cog. Let a nice flow of lube go onto the chain (don’t be cheap). Remember you’re going to clean and lube the chain in one step.
    • Freewheel the chain backwards, and wipe off all of the dirt and grit that comes up to the surface of the chain. Keep in mind, you can’t wipe off the chain too much, so make that chain shine!
      • Freewheel the chain backwards, and wipe off all of the dirt and grit that comes up to the surface of the chain. Keep in mind, you can’t wipe off the chain too much, so make that chain shine!
      • Shift the chain off the big ring, so you can wipe off the chain ring, to clean up the little bit of residue left behind.
    You basically end up wasting soooo much of the product. Slather the chain with it, then wipe off the excess.

Now Read Dumonde application instructions:

Apply sparingly and wipe off excess lubricant with a clean cloth to the point where the chain’s outer surface appears dry. One ounce of Dumonde Tech should give you at least 10 applications. Refer to FAQ if you experience a wet and/or dirty chain after riding.

Re-apply Dumonde Tech Lite only when you begin to hear your chain; sound, not appearance or time, is the best indicator of when the chain needs a reapplication of Lite. Use mild soap and water to clean between applications.

Faust29, -ROCKY-, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  21. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    And it smells good too!

Danmtchl, Faust29, -ROCKY- and 3 others like this.
  22. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    I actually clean the chain first with the RNR Blue. It streams on nicely and I soak the heck out of the chain, then wipe it off thoroughly with a microfiber towel. THEN, I apply the Dumond green original formula per their instructions. This method has served me well for a long time.

Danmtchl, rossage, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  23. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    I like T-9 a lot. I just re-apply when the chain starts making noise, and don't clean the chain.
    Chains and drivetrain last a long time.
    I managed to survive this year's Strada Rossa with no problems!

Danmtchl, rossage, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  24. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Must be local!

Sounds like if you like to ride in wet often Dumonde blue or lite is it. One day maybe I'll try it after I go through the 16 oz bottle of RnR that I got recently. It does fine for me in dry weather and I don't ride in wet that often.

edit/add: I remember back in the day (90s) a few of us went in on a gallon of tri-flow, and each filled our little bottles from it (and spilled allot) . I think it was like $15 or $20

Danmtchl, rossage, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  25. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    I've been using some stuff that is like wax when dry. I really don't know if it's working well. I guess I'll have to listen... :speechless:

Danmtchl, rossage, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I generally go through a 2 oz. bottle of Dumonde Tech Lite(yellow) about every 7 months or so.....that is with 5 geared bikes in the garage.

The 2 oz. bottle of Original gets me about a little more....but I tend to turn more miles on the SS.

27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

The Original(green) works great in the conditions.

The Lite(yellow) works great in dry conditions.

I think the Original is too thick for geared drivetrains in the dry conditions.

I use Tri-Flow Wet for spoke prep on wheel builds as well as lubing cables/housing/pulley bushings. It lasts for ever.

28. jimbowho

jimbowho Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor 29r
    WD-40 for three reasons. 1. It's cheap, I buy a gallon about every 8-years and fill the WD-squirt bottle, also a mini pressurized sprayer. 2. It solvents away crud and leaves a little slippery stuff behind, and it's a pre-ride ritual. 3. It annoys people to no end when they hear what I'm using.:D Chainwax for the moto's.

29. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Reason #3 is classic. :thumbsup:

30. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Dirty Little secret.... Well actually clean little secret.

Dumond is amazing and even though what @mtnbikej and @Faust29 are saying is probably better and I used to do it too...

But You can absolutely just apply Dumond with a rag running the chain through wipe it off ....works awesome...

Been doing this now for about six month... With the blue...Wet n dry... Amazing. Actually been using it a couple other places where I wanted lube that shed dirt.