What Chain Lube Works Best for You?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Mikie, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Back in the '90s I was sponsored by White Lightening and really liked it a lot. I still use White Lightening today but have moved over to their Epic Ride. What lube do you use and prefer?

image.jpg

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Rock and Roll Gold. It's absolutely the best at keeping your chain clean AND lubed for 2-5 hour dry rides. Rock and Roll Blue if you ride wet conditions.

Mikie likes this.
  3. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Dumonde Tech.

Mikie likes this.
  4. BBJohn

BBJohn Member

Name:
    John
    Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!

Mikie likes this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Another vote for Dumonde Tech.

Heavy for the SS
    Lite for the geared bikes

Mikie likes this.
  6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    I use a mix of regular White Lightning and Boeshield T-9 mix. 4 parts WL and 1 part BT-9. Have done up to 50 mile MTB rides with nary a squeak from my chain and there is minimal build up.

Mikie likes this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Can't believe nobody's crawled out from under a rock to tout the superior lubricity of WD-40 or the cost saving attributes of synthetic motor oil. :lol:

Mikie likes this.
  8. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    My first bike specific lube was from ProGold ProLink, but it was washing off when I crossed streams. Now I'm on Rock n Roll Gold. Dumonde Tech is something I see recommended by experienced bike mechanics, so I might try that next. Before this, I was using some sloppy wet lube that was available at the shop when I was an aircraft mechanic (VV-L-800, basically the modernized version of WD-40)--I didn't change the drivetrain at all on that bike for 15k miles (strictly commuter miles over about 5-6 years). It would skip in the granny, since I rarely used that ring, so I replaced everything before I went to sell it. I'm a believer that the from-the-factory lubrication is the best, and wear that down before I apply my own.

I actually did use WD-40 back in the day on my dept store bike. It wasn't that bad! Chainring tattoos and greasy pant legs and a pure mess on my hands when I needed to get my chain back on my gears when it fell off or got jammed. Since you brought it up... :lol:

F7hfSMO.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  9. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Pro link! light, seems to attract min dirt. Lube before every ride or bike cleaning.

Mikie likes this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    That is a problem.....I want a lube that will last several rides....I don't want to have to apply before every ride.

I get about 125 miles in between each application of Dumonde Tech.....then brush off the dirt/grime, wipe with a towel and place 1 drop on each roller/link....wipe off excess and good to go. If I did shorter rides, I could get by doing this once every 2 weeks. Due to my avg mileage, I have to do it every 3 rides or so.

UPSed and Mikie like this.
  11. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    It takes me maybe 15 secs to apply the lube, not a big deal.

Mikie likes this.
  12. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    That's one reason why I stopped using it. It had a tendency to not last at all, the point I carried a bottle of lube in my pack. Funny, I met others who did the same with their brand of lube... never occurred to me.

Mikie likes this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    The point is that the lube doesn't last long enough if you have to reapply every ride. I would prefer to use something more durable.

Mikie likes this.
  14. BBJohn

BBJohn Member

Name:
    John
    WD-40 is only good as a spider killer and then only if you ignite it. Sheesh everyone knows that. :lol:

Mikie likes this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Please explain this chart, Mr. Technical. Watts Expended? WTF? Does that have to do with drag coefficients? Amount of anergy to apply the lube? How long the stuff lasts? How many homes you could light if you burned the stuff?

Sheeeesh... o_O

Mikie likes this.
  16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    http://www.lillylube.com/uploads/Link_to_Velo_Article.pdf :rolleyes:

Mikie likes this.
  17. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Been using rock n roll gold for 3 months now and really like it. Drive train is super quiet and doesn't attract much muck. Regardless of what you use it only takes seconds to apply so I lube every ride. Got to get the most use out of today's $1000.00 drive trains. With WD-40 I would get 4000 miles before any problems. Messy sure but it works.

Mikie likes this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Leave it to roadies to analyze the sh*t out of everything! I know - it stands to reason that over a 130km race, a faster chain lube would make a huge difference in your energy expended, but still...

Glad to see my personal choice is on the better end of the speed spectrum. (Almost as good as EVOO). I am validated at last!!!! :whistling:

Mikie likes this.
  19. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    1) One of my first lubes was white lightning wax, the build up was hideous though!

2) Tried synthetic bike lube, but it got everywhere and was a bitch to wash off. ended up all over my rim on the Road bike. talk about poor braking!

3) The pro link, liked it but did not last but one ride.

4) Winner! Now I use Rock and Roll Gold. lasts a few rides. BUT, I'll use the grunge brush on the chain, spin on the lube and wipe off every ride or two. Only takes a moment, and given the high cost of drive trains figure WTF, cheep insurance.
    Those that put a drop on each link are more detail oriented, or just have a lot more time than I do. Lubing a chain should take under 5 minutes, tops.

I do use finish line Teflon on the pedals and rear Derailleur. so keep two lubes around the garage.
    If anyone is interested in a bike synthetic that will get all over everything and not come off, I got it for you :Roflmao

And WD40, that's for water displacement, not lubing...sheesh...

Mikie likes this.
  20. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    I have been using Finish Line Dry lube for years and never had a problem with it. I have been wanting to try the DuMonde Tech and Pro Gold but to see how they work in my conditions.

Mikie likes this.
  21. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Craig
    I'm with the Dumonde Tech lube vote! It's the only lube that'll last several long rides. I've tried many other chain lubes in the past & this by far surpasses all the rest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mikie likes this.
  22. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Just saw this on FB's fb page. Looks like WD-40 has a wet and dry chain specific lube. Any try this yet?

wd-40 bike.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  23. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    I've used only the Lite version of Dumonde. I've been happy enough with it to use for a couple of years. Brush off chain and apply before almost every ride.

Am I missing something by using the Lite? Sounds like you guys might be getting better longevity from the regular version.

Thanks...

Mikie likes this.
  24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I use the Regular formula on the SS......get about 125 miles or so out of each application.

I use the Lite formula on our geared bikes.....get about 100 miles out of each application.

Mikie likes this.
  25. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    I get a little longer out of Rock n Roll Gold. I lubed my Enduro 29er's chain for the second time (since I got the bike in late Sept), at the 500 mi mark, but they insist that you slather the chain with the stuff, with me going through about 1/3 the 4oz bottle per application. Not sure how long I rode on the original chain's lube, before the first application. I got the kit with the larger bottle, with empty 4 oz applicator on the side. Not sure if it's economical or not, but a lot of it winds up on the stuff I use to soak up the excess on the ground. Chain wasn't squeaking, just rumbling a little louder when pedaling when I opted to relube.

Mikie likes this.
  26. fatboyone

fatboyone Newbie with Hope!

I have been using the wd-40 dry lube for about 6 months on all mtb's. Usually lasts many rides before wiping chain and re-applying.

Of course this comes from someone who has used wd40 on dirtbikes for 30+ years, which get ridden pretty hard and I have never had a chain failure.

I like the ease of purchase instead of driving to a certain shop for items.

Mike

Mikie likes this.
  27. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    We use this at the shop and it seems to work pretty good. My boss seems to get several rides on it. We sell a lot of it also because of the WD40 name. They also make bike cleaner, HD degreaser.

Mikie likes this.
  28. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Having worked in a bike shop for a while...I was able to try a bunch of lubes. I've found that if you lube on a regular basis...most lubes will work just fine. Riding in So Cal...I don't need any kind of thick or "long lasting" type lubes. I've tired Chain L. That stuff keeps the chain pretty quiet...but found that no matter how much I wiped the chain...it would still be a gunky mess after each ride.

I use Rock n Roll Blue on my mountain bikes and Squirt on the road bike.

Infamous and Mikie like this.
  29. Black Licorice

Black Licorice Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nomad
    Just picked up some of this earlier this week and was excited to lube up my chain and catch a ride until I looked outside and saw water drops hitting my cars. :( maybe I should have picked up the wet conditions hhaha

Mikie likes this.
  30. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    I really like the Chain L for my single speed. It makes a gunky mess but with just 1 cog it's easy to clean. I would wait a day after the ride and let everything dry and the dirt flakes off. I use rock and roll gold on all my other bikes but after seeing all the reviews for dumonde I might have to give it a try.

Mikie likes this.