What are you lusting after?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buggravy, Sep 25, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Bikes, people. Bikes. This is sort of in response to the "slow down" thread. With bikes and parts being so back ordered there hasn't been a lot of chatter about toys lately. But out of sight doesn't always mean out of mind. Whatcha thinking about when you lie down in bed at night. Bikes, parts, whatever.

With my recent Spur acquisition I'm firmly set. But I'll probably never truly not have a wandering eye. The V2 Sentinel speaks to me a lot. The Spur has a glorious refined dampness about it that the Smash doesn't have. Maybe it's just the taught solidity of a new bike, but I can't help wonder if there's a higher level of refinement in the Transition build process. These are mainly fleeting thoughts, but they're thoughts.

More realistically, I'm eyeballing a Lyrik Ultimate for the Smash. Want to try a reduced offset fork on that bike, and the Lyrik is leading the charge. Also pulled the trigger on a snazzy set of new wheels for the Spur. Wanted more engagement and wider internal width. Now just waiting.

So, spill it. What has your eye right now?

Mikie, Faust29, Grego and 10 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Everything - and nothing. I'm kinda done lusting after bikes for a while. I am ready to lust after trails now. British Columbia?

@buggravy If you want to try my Lyrik Ultimate before you buy, let me know. I'll have two of them in a couple of weeks - a 2020 and a 2021 - both 29er reduced offset. I can't imagine how many spacers you would need!!!!

HBkites, Mikie, Faust29 and 10 others like this.
  3. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Thanks for the offer! After all my mental gymnastics about what a reduced offset for might do to the bike, I plugged the tune code from my fork in on the Fox site, and low and behold, I already have a 44 offset fork. Despite not providing fork offset in their spec sheets, GG said in the FB group that they basically put 51 offset forks on all their 29ers, so I've just assumed that's what I had. Back to the drawing board for something to want. Actually, the Luftakappe, or something similar has kind of intrigued me.

4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I wouldn’t mind more time to ride.

Mikie, Faust29, Oaken and 9 others like this.
  5. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    This
    And this
    Can't do a lot of my normal summer go-to rides due to national forest closures. But don't have enough time to road trip further afield. New bikes are nice but I'm happy to ride what I have. I'd much rather be able to ride the trails that I want than some other bike that I want.

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    What handling/suspension characteristic are you trying to improve?

7. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    You mean 'lusting after'!

8. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Always lusting after a new MTB but what? Sometimes I want a little more travel but then I see myself going faster than I should. Sometimes I want a lightweight HT but I see that overlapping my gravel bike as I would use it for the same type of riding. That leaves another short travel bike as the logical solution for me. But what? Coming up on 4 years with my Jet and I still enjoy every ride I do on it. Maybe by the time bikes aren't 6 months out I'll be ready.

Mikie, Faust29, Grego and 5 others like this.
  9. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    My bike's ability to mask my ineptitude?

Seriously though, rider issue not bike issue disclaimers aside, in comparison to my other bikes the Smash's front end is much more wandery uphill, but more importantly, minor steering corrections at moderate+ speed sometimes become over corrections, in a way that I don't feel on the other bikes. Academically it seemed that reduced fork offset might help with that, though apparently I'm already getting that help. From an actual suspension standpoint the SID on the Spur, with very little tinkering, feels a lot more supple and composed on the high speed chattery stuff than the 36/Smash. That's probably more of a set up thing, and I haven't tinkered with the 36 in a bit, though I spent a decent amount of time going through it when I converted from from Pistola to Smash.

Mikie, Faust29, OTHRider and 3 others like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    As I mentioned in another thread, the new Rock Shox forks (2020, 2021) are simply amazing right out of the box, compared to Fox or DVO, and your SID is bearing that out. RS found a design that jumped them ahead in the game, IMO. A Luftkappe will help your Fox.

What's the head angle on your Smash? Anything in the 65 or lower range is bound to feel more wandery climbing than your Spur (or your former DV9). Can you drop your hands by removing spacers? I am guessing I haven't said anything you haven't already considered or don't already know.

Offer still stands to borrow a Lyrik. I am sitting on an embarrassment of riches at the moment.

11. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Always 24/7 lusting for a new matte braap Ripley. Actually several other short travel 29ers like the Spur, Ranger and even the Epic Evo. Yeah I just said I’d ride a specialized I’m not too proud. Just want a fun light and capable bike that pedals better than my Hightower. As much fun as I have on my Les I know it’s only a matter of time before something bad happens.

12. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    At 160 travel the HTA is 64.6 (I'm fairly certain). So yeah, a given that's it's going to bird dog a little bit. I have a couple spacers I could remove, but I do also have a -6mm stem, so it's already fairly low without being slammed. And ultimately, this is probably a "problem" to be solved on the rider end.

Interesting to hear your take on the Lyrik. I know fork performance is something of great consideration to you. Perhaps I should take you up on that offer.....

Mikie, Faust29, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  13. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    Intense tracer 275 carbon
    Dropping the hammer on this

F5143D6D-C593-4341-BEE8-ACE90D9F87C8.jpeg

Mikie, Faust29, Danmtchl and 12 others like this.
  14. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Did you buy it? Lemme know if you’re still shopping. https://www.crazybearbikes.com/ can help you.

Mikie, Faust29, uzziboy and 4 others like this.
  15. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I am suffering from some depression these days, so nothing at all where cycling is concerned other than that I await the reopening of our national Forests which goes hand and hand with everything else I lust/yearn/hope for:

That we all stay safe and healthy, that we all get through this pandemic and recover from it's economic trouble, and that the things in our lives that are not where or what they could or should be, become what they need to be, where they need to be.

16. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Nice.

Mikie, Faust29, uzziboy and 3 others like this.
  17. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    My last post was rushed since I was sitting in the McDonalds drive thru :gag: on my way to this morning's ride. I forgot to add that I'm also really lusting for a sexy raw finish titanium hardtail with modern angles, a mile long dropper, 12 gears, a big long fork and beefy tires...:geek::inlove::thumbsup::cool:

18. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Mic Drop. Boom.:D

Mikie, Faust29, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    YESSSS!!!! Love it - congrats. :thumbsup: :cool:

That also might make a great Mullet, should you have the resources. :sneaky:

Mikie, Faust29, uzziboy and 2 others like this.
  20. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    ^^ THIS ^^ Covid has been a factor (obviously for BC) but I'm always making plans, doing research, etc...for new locales and places to ride. Really interested in getting out to Arkansas but it will be late 2021 I'm sure. It's a 20+ hour drive and flying with bikes is an option but something I haven't done before. We'll definitely try and get back Whistler next Summer and adding on Revelstoke. @herzalot you need to look into the "big" rides up there, there's some crazy long enduro type rides. The company won't even take you if you don't have 160mm of travel.

Mikie, Faust29, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  21. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Honestly... top of my list is time to ride. Just below that, even more time to ride to check out many of the great options in socal (even with the mountain behind my house closed and scorched)
    So many great options that are off my menu because of time required to access...

Bike wise... I love my new bike. Extremely glad I pulled the trigger and reserved it moments before this whole crazy mess of Covid began.
    But.
    Since we're playing.
    A replacement for the recon fork. I had in mind the Bomber z2... but maybe that's suited for more aggressive big hit riding? Maybe a new pike select would be a good trade up...

I guess if I won the lottery I would consider a long travel bomber to complement the hardtail...

Mikie, Faust29, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  22. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Hmmm. Looking to lighten up my already light bike. Figure it could lose close to 2 lbs with the following parts: Hixon stem/bar combo, Eewings crank, new SID 120mm fork and that scant carbon seat @scan posted a few days ago. I have the $$$ burning a hole. Realistically, "I" should drop 10 lbs to be more effective. With this logic, that's the hold up.

Mikie, Faust29, Old&InTheWay and 11 others like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My buddy at Stage21 has 6 of those SIDs in stock.

Mikie, Faust29, Voodoo Tom and 3 others like this.
  24. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    My Cannondale Synapse is at 19lbs 3 oz. Don't know how I can put it on a diet, but that's my focus (lust).

Mikie, Faust29, Old&InTheWay and 2 others like this.
  25. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    New sunglasses, especially the Oakley Split Shot and EV Advancer with Prizm trail lenses. I always have dark glasses and would like to pick up a set just for riding.

Mikie, Faust29, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  26. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
  27. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Wheels.

And looking forward to riding and camping in places again.

Mikie, Faust29, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Gotta say, I currently don’t have the urge for anything. Both my bikes are running as intended.

if I had a wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket, I’d love to add a SC Blur to my garage, but not jonesing for one.

I did consider a new rear shock for the Hightower over the weekend, only to find that they don’t offer it in the size I need. Oh well.

Mikie, Faust29, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  29. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    too old to lust anymore :devilish:. Now just accepting the hand dealt to me every morning :gag:. It is a good thing, it is one of those 7 deadly sins and all.
    Of course having trails start in your yard makes it difficult to throw the bike into the truck and drive :sneaky:, being that I ride at night also makes alternate rides less important.
    I do miss dropping Space at night. It has been awhile
    Happy trails to ride almost every day is good enough for me.
    Oh, and we have a new kitty in the neighbourhood does add incentives to travel. Saw his photo op yesterday
    And the 29er is getting new brakes and rotors so I am not quite an angel

Mikie, buggravy, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  30. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    time to start drilling lightening holes in your components

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 2 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?