Well Maxxis Is At It Again.......Rekon Race

Discussion in 'Maxxis Tires' started by mtnbikej, Jun 23, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I think the "Cambodia" has Mikie nervous... and he's the boss. El Jefe. The Big Kahuna. We get a lot of spammers from that part of the world. We're mainly a southern California mountain biking site. You don't write like a robot, though... :cautious:

And I've not ridden the Rekon Race. Too sketchy for me... The regular Rekon is as bald of a tire as I'll go.

2. Ronni

Ronni Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    RLD
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC and Anthem
    Hi there. Its the standard fitted on the Giant Anthem. No complaints on dirt, but my confidence is gone when it comes to the handling on wet hard surface. Its monsoon season here and riding on wet roads is inevitable.

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-569-117-rekon-race#

Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  3. Ronni

Ronni Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    RLD
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC and Anthem
    Hehe, no not a robot. Just googled Maxxis Recon for reviews and this site was the first one to have a relevant thread.

Danmtchl, herzalot, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    How about in the “Say Hello” forum. Would like to get to know you. See some pics of where you ride. You know, build a friendship, introduce yourself.
    :)Mikie

edit: @Faust29 is right.We get hit with spam from that section of the world... But it’s great that the site provided some hopefully good info. These guys really know their stuff and you plugged into a great forum. Of course, I‘M a bit partial.
    ;)

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Dumb question... How hard are you running it? I have much better handling with sketchy tires when the pressure is low. Let them spread out for maximum grip...

I’m around 210 pounds for reference and I run the regular Rekon 18-20 psi in the front and low 20s in the rear.

Pictures of a monsoon would also be cool...

6. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @Ronni another good question would be are you running tubeless or use tubes? I was amazed that I just rode with a group on Saturday where they were all still using tubes. Running tubeless with something like Stans sealant you can run a lot less pressure. I have been running close to 20psi up front and 22psi in the rear and also weigh in at around 210 lbs.

7. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Does the 2.4 Rekon roll any better than the 2.4 Bontrager SE4? They are within 20 grams of each other, but I‘m guessing the SE4 has more volume.
    @Ronni , awesome you found this site via search for gear reviews. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  8. Ronni

Ronni Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    RLD
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC and Anthem
    Yeah I would according to my pump be around 25psi on the front. Might be too much.

Faust29, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  9. Ronni

Ronni Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    RLD
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC and Anthem
    Tubeless. I will try running them at around 20psi next time. But I actually feel that a full suspension with low tire pressure can feel too "saggy".

Faust29, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

The Rekon is like the cross country Ikon on steroids, which is pretty much how Maxxis has described it. It's about the easiest tire to "spin up" in that size and it rolls extremely fast... But... I would never expect the Rekon to play in the same product territory as the Minion. The SE4 seems to make it into that discussion frequently. I love the SE4, but there is definitely a weight and rolling resistance penalty.

I don't see where they are that close in weight, though? The DC Rekon is 800 (my rear choice) and the EXO (front choice) is 840. The SE4 weighs in at 905. The 2.6 Rekon EXO+ that I'm trying now is actually lighter than the 2.4 SE4, but I don't have enough miles on it to really say how I like it. And we'll see how long it lasts up here with all the rocks and my less than graceful style- especially the awkwardly landed drops. :oops: :D

11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Excellent glad you are tubeless. You get so much more out of the tire.
    Another thing to consider too brothah is what size tires and rim width you are running.
    I run a 2.6 x 29 on a 31mm I.D. rim so there is a lot of volume. Rear I run a 2.4 x 29 also on a 31mm rim. This is both on my hardtail and my Hightower.

Good point on the tire feeling squirmy at too low of pressure. I try to measure low tire pressure like this: If I hit "G" Outs (like when I bomb into a ravine that has an immediate rise) that compresses my rear tire... If my pressure is too low the tire wants to wander to the left or right depending on force. So I try to pressure it just to the point it does not do that. I guess what I'm saying is just to the point of dimensional stability.

Too low and it gets squirmy, too high and it loses traction.

I hope that helps! Let us know how it goes!

:)Mikie

Faust29, mike and Danmtchl like this.
  12. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I realize I was looking at the Bontrager XR4 weight, which is listed at 780 grams. Thanks for the rundown. I may try a Rekon 2.4 DC on the rear come winter time; I'd be worried about the braking traction on the steeps and last-second brake grabs to reposition the bike into bermed turns. I'm sure the Rekon would be great for the first several hundred miles, but after, say 500 miles, I'm noticing that even the Minion DHR 2.4 is getting slippery. I suppose if it is happening to the DHR, it would happen to any tire with that amount of mileage.

mike, Danmtchl, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Ahhhh... :thumbsup:

I'm too much of a 3-D printed nugget to try those... All of my previous experiments to save tire weight ended badly.

mike, Danmtchl, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  14. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    All my 26ers ran the XR4s (rear only), and I noticed the Expert version lasted longer than the Team Issue version. I don't think they make the Expert version anymore.

mike, Danmtchl, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Danmtchl, Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
  17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Dammit! You are always one up on me! ;)

Danmtchl, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Are you still running one of these on the rear of one of your bikes, @mtnbikej? I think once my Goodyears wear out, I may try a Rekon/Rekon Race combo to lighten it up a little bit. It comes with a Dissector/Rekon combo so maybe I'll try that first. Decisions, decisions.

mike, Faust29, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I don't currently have one on my SS.....but I do have a 2.25 on the wall.

As soon as my Rekon 2.4 rear wears out, I'll be replacing F & R with Rekon Race 2.4 WT's. Time to lighten things up and make it a bit faster.

Currently have Dissector 2.4 F and Rekon 2.4 R on the SS....nice combo for the loose conditions. A bit much for really hardpack.

mike, Faust29, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  20. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Wouldn’t 25mph be more scary with that combo?

mike, Faust29, Danmtchl and 1 other person like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I'm perfectly comfortable on sketchy tires.

mike, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  22. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    I couldn't wait to ditch my Rekon Race on my Chameleon. Granted I do run maybe a little more tire pressure than some of you, 28 PSI, but coming down Black Star hard pack dirt road that Rekon Race did not bite worth a darn.

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Yeah, I'd say you ran them a bit too hard. Drop that pressure down to 20 psi and they become completely different tires.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  24. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    That's what I may be looking for. My 2.25 Peaks, which are similar to the Ikons, are 560g lighter per set and that's really felt on the climbs. Goodyear recently released a 2.4 Peak but I've yet to find it anywhere.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I tried a 2.2 Rekon once (not the race version...). It lasted about 300 yards of a fire road downhill. About 7 miles total on the tire...

I know my place when it comes to light skinny tires. :(

26. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Yeah, Jennifer had those on her Ripley. I could see that happening.

27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Yet my Rekon Race 2.4 lasted 850 Main Divide miles without incident....or at least until mile 851. :whistling: But by then the tire was beyond done.

28. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Is there a huge difference other than .05" between the 2.35 and 2.4WT? If I go tan wall, I'll need to get the 2.35.

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  29. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    The 2.4 WT will be heavier with taller knobs. Although pictured is a 2.25 Max Speed on the left I would think a 2.35 would be the same as far as knob height is concerned. I don't know how many other variations of the standard 2.25 or 2.35 Rekons there are. At least this pic shows height of knobs.

42561122-7793-4FC3-B5D4-D46623B9FCBA.jpeg

F3F77D87-364D-4B3D-93D2-04BA116375EB.jpeg

30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

I think he’s talking about the Rekon Race….different animals.

UPSed likes this.