Website and "Thanks"

Discussion in 'Forum Related' started by mtnbikej, Oct 17, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Would it be possible to not have the page turn everytime we click on the "Thanks" button? Just seems like a wasted page turn.

If not, no problem....just thought I would throw it out there.

2. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    Maybe getting the thanks button at the bottom of the post. If its a long R and R with pictures you have to scroll up to thank someone.

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thank you singlespeedrider!
    The most requested Mod, and the most difficult to date to figure out. I unfortunately have to rewrite some code to get it there and have been working on it off and on for the last 4 months. Have patience! It will happen! :thumbup:

4. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Hey Mikie, first, thanks for this wonderful website, it's coming along just fine and I'm habitually checking in at least once per day now, usually more. Really enjoying the people on here and all the posts, please continue unabated, everyone :D

Not sure if this is the same request as this thread, and this coming from a chronic "back-button" user, but if I give a "thanks" in a thread, then hit the back button, it don't go back. I like to use the "thanks" button, and I like to use the "back" button. But if I'm in a thread and give thanks to 2, 3 or 10 people, I'm completely lost and pounding my back button to do something :evil: I know, I can guess at the history, or just hit the top-o-the page arrow and "active posts" button and start all over, but if I'm in a few threads, I loose my way.... blah blah blah.

Am I just a complainer? I don't mean to be really, maybe just a convenience thing. If no one else is bothered by this I can surely adapt eventually. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong, lmk? Thanks again!

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    First - If nothing changes, I still think it's awesome! Thanks Mikie.

While we are suggesting, can I ask for a "return to top" button? If I hit that, then I can hit active posts and get right back to the meat and potatoes!

6. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Herz, I can solve that one for ya (if I understand what you're asking), at the lower right side of every post is a small grey circle with a white triangle inside of it pointing up. Hit that and it goes to the top of the page. That what you're looking for?

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Well I'll be. Never saw that little sucker there. Works like a charm. Thanks Uncle Knuckles! :thumbup:

8. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    That little triangle is also helpful to scroll up and hit the thanks bottom on the long RR.

9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I am very dense... :lol:
    Chime in if yall want to... :D

But first off to all, "thanks" (ha hah), for all the suggestions... I never see them as complaints, you are all so kind, wanting to make good suggestions and still wanting me to know you appreciate the site.

I'm not exactly sure I understand what you are asking here...
    knucklebuster, if you "Thank" a post and then hit the "Back" Button, are you saying that the Thanks go away? The way phpBB works is it "refreshes" when an action such as "Thanks" happens. That's a default of the software and I think that is mtnbikej's original question. "Why does it turn a page or 'refresh" when "Thank" is clicked. That is something I can not change. What I'm curious about is if the thanks goes away when you hit the back button. I'm gonna try an experiment to find out...
    Thanks All!
    Mikie

Edit: Okay! Here is what I found after a couple of scenarios. See if it works the same for you...
    By clicking "thanks" and then hitting the "back" button the Thanks appeared to go away. But when I Clicked on the refresh button it reappears. Or if I go away from the Post, and then come back to it, it is there.
    However, if I click on a "thanks" and then remove my thanks by clicking the "Thumbs Down" icon that replaces the thanks button, then click thanks again... if I click the "back" button twice, it asks me if I want to remove my Thanks.

Let me know if this makes any sense to you or am I completely out to lunch on what you are asking... ;)

10. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    "Thanks" for looking into it Mikie, but I think you answered with the reply "page refreshes when you give a thank, and that is something that can't be changed". No issues with the "thanks" disappearing, sorry for the confusion.

My lazy butt Scenario: Looking through old RRS, scrolled down a page or two, find a thread that's interesting, go into the thread, wow, that's cool, hit "thanks". There are a few replies to the RR, hit "thanks" on a reply, and again and so on. OK, I'm done with this thread, I want to go back to this list of RR threads. I hit the back button, it don't go back, hit it again, still don't go back, ok, thinking to myself, how many "thanks" did I give? cause I have to hit the back button that many times +1 to get back to the list of RR threads. Or i could right click the back button to show the history of where I've been, but the history all says "imtbtrails", so I don't know how far back to go to get to the list of RR threads.

I know I can hit the "up" button (grey circle with white triangle) then hit "forum" button, then go to RR thread list, then scroll down to where I was. See, I told you I'm just lazy and too used to navigating with the simple back button :? It's not a big a deal. Thanks again!