Watch the heat!

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by BonsaiNut, Jun 22, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
  2. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The hottest week in history – a killer. RIP.

I worked construction a few summers in Phoenix. If someone got on the crew after some time off, you'd have to watch em. If they mobbed the water cooler all morning it was usually a bad sign; they'd end up hiding under the scaffolding, puking, going home or a combination of those.

bvader, ~JB~, Danmtchl and 10 others like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    We had somewhat the same issue on the aircraft carrier. Middle of summer, middle of the Indian Ocean. Humidity at 140% and the breeze don't blow underwater...:eek:

Okay, obviously 100% or less but the associated temps were no fun. 95+ in that humidity made you want to go nuts. Some did - I'll never forget the time the dude in the chow line snapped because the guy in front of him took the last of the ice from the ice machine on the mess deck. Pulled his belt knife, slashed the guy's throat. Basically went apesh!t. He was off the ship in no time, but left us to consider environmental surroundings vs mental resilience. Slashee survived.

Some can hang. Some can't.

bvader, ~JB~, Danmtchl and 8 others like this.
  5. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    You can get a serious fine for walking your dog on a trail when the temps over 100°.

I bring so much water with me even for a short ride. You never know and do not want to be ill prepared.

~JB~, Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Mark, you just reminded me... I gave the last of my water on a hot day to a large overheated dog near Mormon Lake last year. So, yes, that extra water could be key!

~JB~, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  7. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I worked one summer at an aluminum mill. I worked in the extrusion press area, where we would take aluminum ingots at 1100 degrees F and press them through a die to make products like chalk trays for schools and window frames for sky-rises. It's never a good sign when they have salt tablet dispensers on the walls and you have to take forced water breaks. Because of the danger of metal burns, we were required to wear steel-toed boots, jeans, long-sleeved shirts, leather gloves, hard hats and safety glasses at all times. I don't recall how hot it used to get in the mill on a 90 degree summer day, but it was HOT. I used to come home with freckles - because I worked on the saw table and my job was to cut the 1100 degree extrusions to length and toss the scrap in the return bin, and the hot metal chips would fly everywhere and you'd end up getting little burns dotted all over any piece of exposed skin.

But it was a union job that paid $$$, and I worked the midnight shift so it paid even more :) Ah to be young and poor...

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I once had a paper route... :oops:

Almost got shot in the eye with a rubber band! :eek:

9. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Yeah I had it rough working the dairy fridge and sometimes stocking ice cream at Alpha Beta!! ";)Tell a friend"

10. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I once stocked the beer and dairy fridge. it took two hours every night. Coors beer always came in a refer. Cold from Golden Colorado to my cooler. I always admired that.

11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Heat? On a 95° day it's 118° in my cab and 148° behind the bulkhead door. Humidity makes it worse.

12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Yo, @Mikie….

0A224F7D-2A0B-46A5-A964-FB3AE74E745C.png

herzalot and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  13. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Sorry - realized I just posted something that had been posted on another thread.

Sasquatch9billion likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?