Warm Springs/Fish Canyon Revivial

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by AKAKTM, Nov 17, 2014.

1. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo
    On Sunday, November 16, Ken and I decided to try ride and explore the old and rarely used Warm Springs/Fish Creek loop just north of Castaic lake. We found the tracks on Geoladders and loaded the GPX files in the phones the night before. It looked like we would be in for around 22 miles of riding and around 3000ft of climb (which turned out to be well over 4000ft). Hopefully the trails would still be visible once we left the well established fire road climb to the tower.

Here's Ken just as we entered the trail at 7:30a.

Just beginning the mellow 8 or 9 mile 3000ft climb. A beautiful morning and the wind hadn't set in yet...but it would!

Look, there's that AKAKTM dork.

Wilderness my arse. This is a sign leading to a moto/jeep trail that's right in the middle of the new supposed wilderness that now excludes the bicyclist and motorcyclists that helped make the trails.

We found a couple of other great looking trails that we didn't have time to explore but will go back for another time.

See it diagonally down to the right?

The scenery back in Fish and Warm springs is fantastic and very peaceful!

Bike pic for Mikie. I can't say enough about how excellent the Ripley is!

Though the ride had lots of climbing, it also had one long, steep, rocky and very technical descent. I had a blast and only had to walk a brief section. Very chunky and I didn't stop to take pics of the most fun and steep stuff because it was too much fun and too steep to stop!

It was W I N D Y up there and a bit brisk. Other than the wind at the top of the mountain and near complete lack of moisture, it was a near perfect MTB day in a beautiful area.

Ken exiting the last section of the DH onto the l o n g fire road back to the parking area. Oh yea, not only was it long, but we figured that since the trail was pretty close to the lake, there would be minimal remaining climbing. Boy were we wrong. Once we rounded a couple of corners, there was one final, steep 500ft+ climb back out. Didn't see that coming!

This is the ride profile and location:

We had a great ride. With the stopping and exploring we did, it was a 4:15 ride, but it could be done in 3:30 pretty easily. This is about as close to epic as you'll come in the SCV and you will not believe the scenery or the fantastic DH. I just wish it weren't so far in to the DH or I'd go back often!

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-11-17 at 8.21.15 AM.png

SnakeCharmer likes this.
  2. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Nice...look at all that altitude gain! 63mph winds yesterday.....

Look how low the lake is too..

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Nice Report! I have always wanted to get out in that area and explore. There's a lot more riding out there than we realize.
    Thanks for the pics and report!

Mikie

4. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Good to know that's out there. Always wondered if there was anything rideable out that way....besides Tapia.

5. scvmojo

scvmojo Newbie

Name:
    Ken Raleigh
    This truly was a beautiful loop. But the downhill was very difficult for me ... rocky, rutty, and steep. I can ride most of Viper, but I walked an awful lot of this downhill. But still worth it for the beauty, solitude, and workout. I was beat at the end for sure.

6. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Wow, thanks for posting this. This is practically my back yard and I didn't know anything about this loop. Those pics of the lake don't do much justice for just how low the lake really is.

7. DaveO

DaveO Newbie

Name:
    David OSullivan
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem
    Looks like you started and finished at the bottom of Templin? Ive done that loop years ago but started at Warm Springs. PM me you strava name so I can follow you. Would love to hit that loop again.

8. dft

dft Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Tom
    nice report.
    i like steep, loose terrain. is it possible at all to drive closer to the singletrack and just hike up it, then ride down?

9. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo
    I had the same thought. My son would love the steep, chunky ST, but it seems that the only way to reach it is to take the route we did and that's pretty long in and out, so no shuttle and no easy way there. It's just part of the epic...or not at all.

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Pic slots!! Damn that looks interesting. I wish it was closer, or that I could find a tour guide.

11. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Start at the Templin hwy bridge, head up canyon to Cienaga Springs. Climb to the saddle, hang a right on the ridge. Follow the ridge all the way down. Take you way back along the lake on Goodell Fireroad... mostly old road beds that at one time were open to all users, now just traces with only bikes keeping the way open. The ridge part is tougher since it was not a real forest road. Hard to get lost but you need to be self sufficient since you are in the middle of nowhere especially once you hit the ridge.
    Happy sage scrub trails

SnakeCharmer and Voodoo Tom like this.
  12. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Another option is to hang a left at Cienaga Springs and head towards Rogers Camp as an out and back. This is considered one of the best LA county trails but it is just a trace since we do not keep it open and it is way to far for hikers to visit. The canyon eventually turns into a crevasse and then wanders up to Atmill Mdws campground which is just off GE trail. I believe all three campgrounds are gone, but there may still be stoves out there. Nobody goes that way but it is wicked wilderness where you go cross country on deer trails. Yes it is that good. This makes a great out n back where you turn around once the Chamise cuts your forarms so much you finally bail and head back down to get cut again. Bring a first aid kit for the shallow cuts.
    Happy dead reckoning trails in the wilderness (my favorite type).
    from left Cienaga Springs Cpg at the fork, Rogers Camp go left, saddle go straight

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 11.04.54 PM.png