Vulture View Re-Route

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by no worries, Nov 12, 2018.

1. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Vulture View, at Whiting Ranch, has been re-routed where it bombs down the boundary to Sage Scrub, and it's pretty crap. It's all loose since again they did the job in the dryest soil possible, with no rain in sight; but even when it firms up, I don't think they cut a very good line.

I assume this was done to reduce speed. The old line was ultra fast. A set of switchbacks have been added to drop the line further down the slope. Loose as they are, the switch backs are tough to navigate and required a dab from me. Then a thin, loose, pumpy single track follows the slope at a lesser grade before joining back with the old trail right where the sight lines were worst. Lower speeds, but still not a good two-way trail. Hopefully the switch back is more fun when it gets packed down?

They also did a re-route after Sage Scrub joins Sleepy Hollow, again in what I believe is an attempt to reduce speeds. I had to pedal through this area, so I guess it worked. Maybe once I've ridden it a few times it'll flow better?

Pretty disappointed overall. Cactus turned out pretty fun once a second crew reworked it after a rain. Some of the pumps are right before a turn, which can lead to a surprising lack of braking, but after a few runs you figure it out. We'll see how this all turns out.

2. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower, Kona Hei Hei
    In contrast, I rode this last friday and I didn't have any problems with the flow or how it was cut. I agree that it seems insane to do work that substantial without water as when i rode it (11/9) it was a mixture of 2-4" of powder. That being said, I was able to ride it at 80% speed, double up the rollers even with the run ins and outs being loose and the corners were fun in their loose condition. The only questionable part of the work that I saw to Vulture View was the right hander where it re-joins the existing trail. That has a weird flow to it which is likely going to put some less experienced riders into the fence post that remains or the bush as they blow that corner.

Overall I like the flow they were going for and I think it adds quite a bit to that trail, they just need to start bringing water to their work days, or being patient and waiting for rain. The old lines were just simply too fast to be doing in whiting, I could and have, easily hit 30mph going down the old vulture view and sage scrub trails. That's something that's totally un-necessary in whiting in general... I basically consider that park a hiker focused park, so I try to keep speeds sane to reflect that. Even with that mindset that was hard to do on the old VV/SS lines.

3. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    Nugget Proflex 657
    I rode this Friday and thought it wasn't to bad, the top two turns are a little tight but the powder wasn't to bad. However I've rode it the last three days in a row and its just getting progressively worse and worse. The powder is getting pretty deep to the point I nearly washed out a few times just going in a straight line and in parts the track almost appears to be sliding down the hill. I'm staying of it for now, more traffic is just going to accelerate the damage.

4. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Figure I'll do what I did with cactus work.
    I'll ride somewhere else for the next month, or until it's packed down.

But then with my nasty case of bronchitis don't think I'll be riding this weekend anyway.

5. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Here in the Conejo I am in the RESIST mode and will not do anything except fill screed in the erosion channels. Once we get some soil moisture I will fix the water bars, cut a few branches. If we get good soil moisture I will fix a few bad spots. Until then...
    Happy Trails to you

no worries likes this.