VT played hooky from work today

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Voodoo Tom, Jun 17, 2016.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Surprised the wife & kido today and took the day off. Don’t get to spend nearly enough quality time with them and the wife has had a rough few weeks so I was looking to “boost” her spirits. Bikes are always a good way to put a smile on ones face. We drove over to the coast and cruised the “Ojai Valley trail”.

Starting from Foster park just north of Ventura the Ojai Valley Trail follows the former Ventura and Ojai Valley Railroad and runs along the Ventura River into the valley. I guess it’s called a “rail to trail” or something like that but I’d just say it’s a beautiful paved bike path to cruze with the wife and kids. From where we started it’s about 8 or 9 miles into the heart of Ojai ending at what I think was Libbey park. It’s a very gradual climb the whole way from Fosters park into Ojai. When I say gradual I mean you almost don’t even know you are climbing but the trusty Garmin said we were. Very family friendly ride. Heading back from Ojai to Fosters park you can just about coast the whole way and just enjoy the views.

Nick was raring to go today & so was mom
    IMG_4280.jpg

Wifey repoed the Ripley again so of course she was going to enjoy herself. Nick still loves his trailcraft.
    IMG_4287.jpg

IMG_4292.jpg

Did I mention scenic???
    IMG_4309.jpg

IMG_4399.jpg

IMG_4328.jpg

I must have announced, “snake” at least five times but they didn’t pay attention or even see this guy till they were turning around to see what I was doing. Taking pictures of the snake “duh”.
    IMG_4301.jpg

That’s the smiling face I love to see..
    IMG_4313.jpg

Yep they’re having a good time…
    IMG_4386.jpg

IMG_4376.jpg

Stopped for a water break and the darn kid snatched up moms phone. First she asked nicely for it back.
    IMG_4329.jpg

Then she laid the smack down…
    IMG_4331.jpg

Even the cars are cool here…
    IMG_4333.jpg

Getting in to the heart of town. This is Soule park
    IMG_4341.jpg

IMG_4343.jpg

I don’t know WTF to say to this…
    IMG_4347.jpg

Wouldn’t you know it but the trail ends just a few blocks away from one of these (ok maybe this was part of my plan).
    IMG_4351.jpg

It’s called “The Mob Shop”. What a super cool place this is. Far and away the friendliest staff I’ve ever meet in any business. Not a whole lot of accessory type stuff but they have nice inventory of bikes.
    IMG_4352.jpg

Showroom stretches to the outdoors which I thought was really cool. Lots of demo & rental bikes.
    IMG_4359.jpg

Every cool shop needs a cool shop dog. This is “honey”.
    IMG_4357.jpg

Turned around and cruised back and just enjoyed the perfect mid morning weather and breeze.
    Stopped lots of times to check out the views. Nick even found some dirt.
    IMG_4363.jpg

IMG_4402.jpg

The ride today totaled tons of smiles and 18.6 miles. Really blessed & proud of the family for enjoying days like this vs going to some stupid amusement park or something. Nick asked at the beginning of the ride how far we were going and I told him I don’t know but probably about 12 miles or so and he cringed. When we got back to the truck he asked how far we went and I told him almost 19 and he was shocked but then said he wished it was over 20 so I told him we’d get at least that next time. Bikes~R~Fun...

IMG_4330.jpg

2. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    @Voodoo Tom that is one of the best RRs ever in my book. It is so cool that you can enjoy the biking with your wife and son, in whatever way works for you all, and that they enjoy it too. Hey, but where's Rusty? :) Big props and a big smile from me for that RR. :thumbsup::) Made my day! Thanks for taking the time to post the pics, I know that takes allot of work to. :thumbsup:

3. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Great way to take a day off from work!

Tom the Bomb, Danmtchl, mike and 3 others like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Tom the Bomb, Danmtchl, mike and 2 others like this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    That sounds like a great day! Isn't that such a great 'date' ride? ( This is Cathy, not Mikie :p)

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Another great report of family cohesion from VT, nice. TFPU!

Tom the Bomb, Danmtchl, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Pic slot machine strikes again...and pulls up a FANTASTIC ride report. One of the best IMHO. :thumbsup:

These are the best days...

8. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    That there is a California King, I used to have one when I was a kid.

Tom the Bomb, Voodoo Tom and Danmtchl like this.
  9. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Hmmm the thing that sticks out to me is how nice my Ripley looked and what hell it's been thru since then hahahaha....

Want to donate to imtbtrails?