Utah Parks 2018 “Fun Hog Tour”, Part 2. “Other” Pics

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by levity, Jun 27, 2018.

1. levity

levity Well-Known Member

Name:
    Larry
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy
    Here are some of the “other photos” and a short travelogue. Many shots were taken on ebike rides, so where practical I’ve tried to feature landscapes rather than the machines.

Bidding adieu to Zion from Wire Mesa before heading further east:

Z1.jpg

After Zion we stopped in at Bryce Natl Park on route to Kodachrome Basin. We’d previously hiked in the hoo-doos, so we just headed out from the Visitor Center to Rainbow Point on our road bikes. It’s a great ride (~40 miles) with spectacular views along the way. All the stops are on the east side so it’s easiest to pull in/out on the right as you roll back down. Here’s an overview part way with Rainbow Point (9100’) in the distance. It had snowed two days earlier.

B1.jpg

Kodachrome Basin State Park is just east of Bryce and is smaller and more intimate with closeby hiking and biking. Here’s the campground (our van is visible down in the middle):

K1.jpg

A view from Panorama Point - you can see the trail in the bottom center (the campground is beyond the red rock ridge in the distance)

K2.jpg

I like this shot because it shows first tracks the morning after a brief evening thundershower:

K3.jpg

We headed to Capitol Reef Natl Park next and stayed at the lovely Fruita campground near the old Morman fruit orchards along the Fremont River. There are many neat hikes in canyons and to arches (recommend Cassidy Arch!) and bridges nearby, but we were bike focused on his trip.

Cruising down Capitol Gorge

CR3.jpg

Even the paved road to Capitol Gorge and Grand Wash was nice to ride, especially early am or late evening

CR4.jpg

One day we rode out to Cathedral Valley to enjoy the strange landscapes of colorful layered peaks and the Temples of the Sun and Moon.

CR1.jpg

CR2.jpg

On the way from Capitol Reef to Moab we stopped briefly at Goblin Valley State Park. We’d hiked with the kids among the goblins on previous trips, so we just headed up onto the mesa top to ride the mtb trails. This view of the camp area shows the mesa with the riding area above it:

G1.jpg

Trails there are wide open and afford great views of distant mtns and the San Rafael Swell and Reef.

G2.jpg

Our ultimate destination was Dead Horse Point State Park in the Canyonlands/Moab area. We were there 12 days and were fortunate to have good weather that allowed us to ride every day. As always the combination of great trails and stunning scenery was fantastic. Some road rides:

Long Canyon - scenic ride down to the river and Jug Handle Arch; some virga below the clouds but no rainfall

M1.jpg

M2.jpg

Klondike Bluffs 4x4 - lots of fun, open slickrock to explore off the road/trail

M3.jpg

Sevenmile Rim - 4x4 loop from Navajo Rocks with lots of neat side excursions. Here’s Merrimac Butte and surrounding slickrock

M4.jpg

There was lots of varied rock and sandstone. I think this is where 5.10 got the idea for their stealth rubber shoe sole pattern.

M5.jpg

A break in the shade for lunch and admiring the La Sal mountains

M6.jpg

Monitor Butte on the return

M7.jpg

(Note: the Monitor-Merrimac mtb trail on trailforks and mtbproject only provides a view of the Buttes and does not actually go around them. It’s easy to find a route but it involves some sand riding.)

Finally, one day we took our road bikes out Grand View Point Road in Canyonlands Natl Park. There were lots of turnouts to nice overlooks, including our lunch stop

M8.jpg

Making September plans now...

2. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    incredible pics as always. Some day I will need a tour guide... :)

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  3. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Great trip and pics! I rode the 7-mile rim loop maybe 15 years ago and it was a blast! Gotta get out there this fall! Thanks for the RR!

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Awesome RR and pics! You always bring the best!

Tom the Bomb and Faust29 like this.
  5. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Bummer cannot see any picks

Mikie and mountaingirl sara like this.
  6. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara MTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 50/10
    Neither can I

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  7. levity

levity Well-Known Member

Name:
    Larry
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy
    Ha! That will teach me to post anything ebike related! The MTB Gods have spoken!

I pm'd Mikie to see if he can figure out what happened. Meanwhile, I'm trying to reload the images...

Ok, seems to have worked. We'll see if the images get "electrocuted" again.

8. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    It wasn't working for me an hour ago, and now it is! The Internet Gods must have reconsidered... Now, I'm going to get a soda, and sit back and read this one. :thumbsup:

9. Poofighter

Poofighter Well-Known Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    @levity and @Mikie Thanks for reloading the pics and doing whatever magic happens behind the scenes. Now I have my new work desktop pics, so I can pretend I'm somewhere else instead of working for the man!!!