Use iPhone instead of GoPro?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 7Mary3, Nov 25, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. 7Mary3

7Mary3 Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Current Bike:
    LaPierre Zesty 427 650b
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That looks like a pretty rugged case... Tougher than the one I tried. And the wide angle lens is a must for GoPro style footage.

I tried it with the life proof case and the Lifeproof bike mount. The case was great... And i used it until I got the 6+. The life proof bike mount was another story... It gave out on the way to Caspers on a little rocky downhill section. The phone bounced on the rocks, and I ran it over with the bike. It survived, but that was the end of my experimentation... I saved my pennies and bought the Hero 3 white edition.

The footage from the iPhone 5 was decent, but it "skipped" a lot more than the GoPro I use now. Probably a function of the slow focus on the iPhone and the slower frames per second. It was also more of a pain in the butt to start and stop recording. I don't have to look away from the trail or road with the GoPro. I can start and stop recording by feeling for the button, and the audible beeps tell me I've started or stopped successfully. This is actually a huge feature... I'll stick with the GoPro...

3. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
  4. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Cheap Chinese $120 gopro knockoff <a class="postlink" href="http://vimeo.com/67345849" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://vimeo.com/67345849</a>

5. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    why get the knockoff when you can buy the original entry level gopro which is 1080p hd ??
    <a class="postlink" href="http://shop.gopro.com/cameras/hero/CHDHA-301.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://shop.gopro.com/cameras/hero/CHDHA-301.html</a>

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I didn't know the original was still available at a discount... That's hands-down a better idea than the phone.

7. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    I used to have the gopro on my motorcycles days, and it was the second gen. and it was an amazing quality video and pics, so this new ones even the entry level, I'm pretty sure it will be better than my old one...

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I see B&H Photo has the Sony for $98 for Black Friday...

9. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    might be ok if you have an old iphone that no longer has a service plan.
    otherwise the cost of the monthly plan quickly exceeds the value of the go pro.
    I find that having to use a touch screen with gloves and taking the eyes off whatever your doing a big negative too.

Don't know about everyone else, but old cell phones are collecting dust in my house. interfaces for old smart phones are starting to pop up all
    over the place.

10. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Base model Hero is $130. You can buy extra batteries which is a huge advantage of using your phone.

If you plan on using your primary iPhone and get into some trouble, you may run out of battery before you can make a call for help.