Upgrade path from SX

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Derkderkall, May 16, 2020.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I know, only had bike for two weeks now, but one intention with the lower spec bike was that as parts wear out,i would save money to invest into components that I really want.

As of right now, I have SX Eagle. There are 3 main paths I could follow..

1. Keep the hg driver and upgrade to nx cassettes, (615g, $100). Then move derailleur to gx, as well as shifters (maybe xo shifters?)

Option 2 and 3 involve swapping the freehub. Contacted specialized and I can do this with a 3 pawl.

2. XD freehub, then go full gx..... (Cassette is $215, 448 g) derailleur goes for $125...

3.microspline freehub, xt group (cassette is $160 for 470 g, derailleurs $115)

I could also do mix and match with slx cassette which is same price as the nx, but 100g lighter...

So, those are my current thoughts...

Hoping to get input Based on everyone's experience.....

Shimano offers better value, but that's dependent on how well cassettes last....

sram cassette lifespan better than Shimano?

Is it even worth changing the rear driver for 150g?

So, based on experience,. What would you do?

2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Ride your existing drivetrain until it requires replacement, then revisit your options at that time. Groupos might be different in a few years.

Grego, Danmtchl, SnakeCharmer and 8 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    I am committed to the Shimano 12 spd for one reason - cassette gearing. The 51, 45, 39, 33 top four gears work extremely well for me and the type of climbing I do. The Eagle is merely a 10-42 cassette with a 50 "bail out gear" bolted to the top. Not enough useable climbing gears for me.

The XT shifts great. My only knock on the Shimano is the clutch system that limits chain-slap. It's finicky and not as effective as the SRAM derailleur. So, if I could use the Shimano system with the SRAM (GX or better) derailleur - that would be awesome.

In the past, Shimano XT cassettes have lasted at least as long as the SRAM counterpart. SRAM chains suck.

And you've asked the $10,000 question - "Is 150g worth it" Your answer to that could lead you down a rabbit hole of gram counting that can get comically complicated.

PS: @Derkderkall Time to change your profile thumbnail details!

4. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Very true
    There plan is to replace as things wear out, just trying to get an idea what direction that would be in...

5. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I would ride my bike

6. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    My understanding is if you replace your chain regularly that will help the life of your cassette. I've always used Shimano and my cassettes last awhile, I don't change them very often.

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Yes, wear out what you have now. Otherwise that budget build was not budget.

I would get (have gotten) HD drivers on every bike so I don’t have to bend over for Shimano and Sram. I’m still on 11-sp though Sunrace 12sp cassettes are 70$, including nicely-stepped; works with Sram only rear derailleur on HG driver.

Additionally, one could then convert any rear wheel to SS with a spacer kit or some ingenuity and a Surly cog.

The 11-46 Sunrace with the wife’s GX 11-sp has been flawless. When my XT cassette is toast I’m going Sunrace. If that Sunrace cassette did not work with my Shimano derailleur, I’d replace it with Sram just so I could run the cassette. I’ve overpaid for drive parts far too long. I’m over it for consumables.

Oaken, Big Clyde, tick and 6 others like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I know these aren't the answers you were looking for.......

But run what you brung for the time being. If you wanted an upgarded drivetrain....it would have been more economical to buy the next trim level up on the complete bike.

With that being said.

Yes, SX Eagle is a tank. Yes, some of those components are throw away.

Since you wanna stay 12 speed.....Sun race makes a 11-50 Shimano compatible cassette, however it's not really gonna save you much weight(30g).....but it should shift better than the SRAM 1210.

I'd keep the SX RD until it breaks.....no need to upgrade as the return on investment is so minimal.

Upgrading to GX shifter, would be a day/night difference. X0 is a big jump. Shift feel comes from the shifter, not the derailleur.

This could all be done without swapping the Freehub body.

9. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Actually J, that's exactly what I want to hear.

So as I said in my opening lines, the intention is replace as parts wear out. The top spec bike, only came with nx and a rockshox 35. Main reason I didn't go with it was for that reason, figured I would first invest in a better fork, then work on the drive train as components wear out.

I realize this is a far ways away, but I was bored and distracting myself looking at drivetrains. Ultimately, my question is, Wich direction do I aim, Shimano or sram....

At this point it's not an urgent question, just for shits and giggles

Oaken, Danmtchl, tick and 5 others like this.
  10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    I'm a SRAM XD guy, good system for me. I like the 50T bail out option, and that's exactly as I use it. Don't get NX stuff if you can help it GX is where you start really dropping grams. XO is obviously moreso. Other than chains the rest of my drivetrains are lasting a long time. But that's three bikes and we'll sets that I occasionally swap out on whim. But your take away from all the comments above, should be that everything's good, there's really no wrong way to go about it!

~JB~, Sassyquatch, mike and 3 others like this.
  11. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH

12. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sam
    I’m a SRAM guy too, but keep hearing Shimano is smoother and more reliable for equivalent levels. I’m intrigued by the Advent Microshift, particularly the new one that goes up to 48t...needs an HG instead of XD tho....

13. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    You can also look at a Box drivetrain, there are just as good as the Big S. I’ve had my 11 speed 3 years now and never a problem. I also run it with a GX cassette, and don’t have any issues with shifting.

mike, Cyclotourist and Derkderkall like this.
  14. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I recently acquired a full XTR group on a bike.

Short version: XTR is great. So is Sram GX and above.

Both are great, neither is better than the other. I will not be swapping either. But I will say (from longer term experience):
    XO1 and up cassettes last forever.
    XO1 and up chains last forever (relative).
    GX shifts great, but I will eventually go XO1 or XX1.

Reliability of Shimano is yet to be seen. But even if it doesn't match Sram, I don't see myself swapping out the XTR hub to go Sram.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?