Up and down Recovery

Discussion in 'Health' started by rossage, Nov 12, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Most of you know about my "crash" and subsequent collapsed lung and related fractured/displaced ribs. For details, check out the Man Down, Man Down thread.
    It has been 2 weeks now and the "recovery" has definitely not been what I expected.
    The first few days in the hospital were a blur of Dr.s, Nurses, chest tubes, and pain killers. The point of recovery there was to get the chest tube out and go home. I was able to do that after 4 days.
    Up until that time, I was sitting/sleeping semi-upright, on Norco, and practicing and measuring my inhalation strength with a small device they gave me. X-rays confirmed that my lung was ready and they pulled the tube out. I watched with slight disgust as they pulled about 8 inches of "camelbak hose" out of my chest. I was allowed to leave later that day (Sat).
    Welcome home! Now try to get comfortable. I realized now just how messed up my body was. Standing was ok-for a while. Sitting was barely tolerable, with constant shifting and turning. Laying down was a chore. I had to think about every move getting up or down. A miscalculation of millimeters resulted in sharp, stabbing pains from my ribs, and back.
    Yes my back is messed up too. It cracks and pops and moans and aches. My Chinese Dr. (holistic) wont even touch me until my ribs are healed! As recently as yesterday, I was awakened in the middle of the night by excruciating pain. Knowing more pain was coming, I immediately sat up, then stood up. My back cracked up and down then suddenly, a wave of relief, as an offending vertabrae finally found its place. I couldn't believe it! If only those ribs would find their spot and leave me alone!
    The relief was short-lived, and replaced by another further down my spine last night.
    Yeah, the ribs haven't been coming along by leaps and bounds either. Every day and night is a ballet between movement and pain.
    And pain. The constant drone. Your evil, unwanted, friend. Oh man, I'd like to choke the Sh!t out of you!
    Looks like this is gonna be a long time healing.

DangerDirtyD, Danimal, MattB and 17 others like this.
  2. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Man, I feel for you. That sounds like a whole lot of not fun. I've cracked ribs before on my dirt bike and can attest that it is a very unpleasant experience. I've never tried to hold back a cough or a sneeze more than when I had a cracked rib. I can only imagine what you're going through with the extent of your injuries.

mike, herzalot, BeckTrex and 2 others like this.
  3. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Damn Ross!! Sad to hear man. Haven't forgot about you and pray that you start to feel better soon! Thanks for the update. I'm close by so if you need a favor just give me a holler!

mike and rossage like this.
  4. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Same here Ross, I'm feeling for you. The family supports you, if you need anything just let me know.

5. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Sorry to hear. I recently turned 50 and still like to try or pretend to ride fast and take risks I probably shouldn't take. Your experience really makes me consider how and where I should be riding because our bodies don't recover quickly or particularly well at this age.

6. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    2014 Giant XTC Advanced 2
    Sounds rough man, hang in there! I broke some ribs after crashing my dirtbike as well, just a plain old sh1tty ordeal that only time can heal when it comes to ribs. I had pains well past 6-8 months after the crash, although first few weeks were hell it does/should become more tolerable. Speedy healing to you!

mike, hill^billy and rossage like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Baby steps, Man... You're going in the right direction. It just takes time. And drugs... Don't skimp on the pain killers!

8. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Ugh!
    If you haven't tried it, sometimes, lying flat on your back on a very hard surface (concrete) and doing some deep relaxation... try to jelly onto the concrete, will do some wonderful things for your back. I went to hawaii a few years ago, and the 1st 2 days were absolutely miserable, and I couldn't get into a chiropractor. Finally, I did the above by total accident, thinking it couldn't make anything worse. After laying there about 2 minutes, suddenly, about an inch below my shoulder blades I felt a "pop" as the offender went back where it belonged. The next day I was 100%. I still use this technique occasionally as a preventative measure.

9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Funny you should mention the hard surface. I had been sleeping in a reclining er and finally returned to my asian style bed as a last resort.
    I normally sleep on a very firm bed supplemented by various bamboo toppers. That was where my temporary realignment occurred. It has been working the last few nights, albeit at a geologic pace!

mike and ridinrox like this.
  10. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Do you need me to come over and do this to you? I think it'll help...

4ef03eea7b626.jpg

But remember....

348s.jpg

DangerDirtyD, Oaken, mike and 4 others like this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Ribs are no good.....my wife donated a kidney and said it was a cake walk compared to the 4 broken ribs she had.

12. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    ^^That's Shitty's way of using reverse psychology - ask away Ross!

But seriously, try masturbation.

Ok seriously, try a bed of nails.

Ok ok seriously, where's your bong??

DangerDirtyD, Danimal, Oaken and 3 others like this.
  13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Homie, what did ya expect with busted up bones and internal organ? Your injury and expected recovery sound pretty okay for what happened, and for what could have happened.

I was in the system for two weeks wondering if my foot would have to be amputated due to thee gnarliest ankle injury you have ever seen. Dodged the official disability bullet, but live with reduced capability and pain in that ankle every single day. For 24 years. Google images subtalor compound dislocation if ya want the visual.

Not to make light of your gig. The more active and healthy you were, the more a recovery will rock your world. Summon the patience, and stay with the program. I know you have/do/are/will. This episode will be a memory soon enough – stay with it, pally!

Luis, hill^billy, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  14. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Dang, I am so lucky to have never had broken ribs... sounds tough, heeling vibes again

mike, hill^billy and rossage like this.
  15. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I'm just getting over pain from ribs broken during a July 2014 trip to Bend, OR.
    Solid 16 months to get where they don't cause me any twinges.
    And that's without an extra tube in my side!
    Take it slow and let them heal up properly!

16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I have been doing this without the prescribed opiate painkillers since leaving the hospital.
    I have been medicating with homemade baked goods, weed store edibles and limited dry herb vaporizer.
    I had to stop the opiates because I could not figure out what exactly was hurting because I couldn't feel anything. They also constipated you and the solution to that is more pills!
    I have found that the edibles work quite well. They mask the pain but allow enough for feedback when moving and stretching. My body tends to get used to them so you need to mix up different types and strains so they keep working. The dry herb vaporizer is excellent for acute pain and relaxing for bed.
    I have also been using daily supplements of T Arnica (thanks Tom!).
    My wife has been giving me daily massages, sorry doublewide! And I have also been using various herbal patches and oils.
    This is what works for me. To some it may sound like some hippy bullshit but I have seen up close the ravages of "prescribed" opiates and I choose not to go there. Though that one time, in Bangkok, it sounded like a good idea at the time!

GregMiester, Luis, hill^billy and 7 others like this.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I wish I had something smart to say Bud! I certainly know how you feel...
    Sharing my list of broken bones over the years is not going to make you feel better. More likely, just posting your frustration to get it off your chest is the best medicine mentally for you.

The good news is that we are moving into the winter season so at least a slow down is not so uncommon. It no doubt is better to take the time to heal up thoroughly as oppose to rushing it. Us Mountain Bikers are so impatient! At least I know I am.

Every doctor I have had since I have been a Mountain Biker has told me I am the fastest healing patient they have ever had. I think that is because of our fitness level. Our metabolism is flying compared to the average folks.

Kokopelli is coming and you and I will be on an epic adventure together! So take the time to heal your sorry azz up so we can knock down this awesome adventure!

GregMiester, Luis, mike and 3 others like this.
  18. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    How dare you! They are a tasty tasty treat! Take it from me, the artist formerly known as ChrisPBacon.

smoked-bbq-ribs-on-the-grill.jpg

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Rossage, your posts really convey your situation, your pain, your frustration and your desire to heal. I also applaud your self-awareness around the opiates. Mike said it best - stay with the program. Your recovery will seem glacial, but will happen. In the meantime, you can keep us all entertained with your stories of progress (and setbacks), provided you can find a comfortable position long enough to keep typing.

All this for being courteous to a hiker... Talk about no good deed goes unpunished!

GregMiester, mike, hill^billy and 2 others like this.
  20. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Rossage is going Koko?!?! WOOT!

Mikie, mike and rossage like this.
  21. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    I like your approach to this situation. I DO get your pain and frustration, I just approach things like this w humor. Heck, I approach almost all aspects of life w humor - beats wallowing in self-pity.

I'm a fighter, you're a fighter....you got this.

22. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    I understand your frustration. Four months into my recovery and my ribs, several of which were fractured, are mostly fine. Still wake up with some pain from being stuck sleeping on one side due to the shoulder. Getting to where I can paddle but still with pain and unable to push up to standing which sucks. All I can say is that I keep a good outlook for the future. Time moves at its own pace and your body will heal eventually. I gave up all hope for a better past and since the future is largely out of my control, I concentrate on the living well in the here and now. Off to paddle like a wounded seal if I can find someone to help me zip up my wetsuit (still can't get my arm back with enough umph to hold the zipper base @%#^$% :confused:). Hang in there.

Mikie, GregMiester, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Awesome work avoiding the opiates! BAMFs don't need no pain masking. And active people don't want no immune system suppression. Why ya think junkies have issues with illness and infections? F that comfortably dumb crutch...cannabis FTW again.

Mikie, Luis, GregMiester and 2 others like this.
  24. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    Agree with the skipping of the opiates. I hate 'em.
    Just work on the patience. Healing takes time, especially injuries like yours.

Mikie, mike, GregMiester and 3 others like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Me - May 2013. Recovering from dislocation (in March) and getting back on the surfboard for the first time. Couldn't get my wetsuit on without asking a stranger. No good looking women around, so I had to ask a guy. The shame...:oops:

All was well by June. Time wounds all heals!o_O

Danimal, Mikie, rossage and 2 others like this.
  26. AndyB

AndyB Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
    Hi Ross,

If you're in pain you should be taking the Norco every four hours. It's truly a wonderful drug and removes all your pain. It will help you sleep and your recovery will be faster. I took Norco for 3 weeks when I broke thirteen ribs and my collar bone three years ago. In sixty days I was completely healed and riding the track again as if I never had the injury. Ribs heal fast.

Danimal, Mikie and rossage like this.
  27. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    No Bueno I have been in the same situation. It is the not getting comfortable, the not being able to sleep more than a few minute that wears ya down. The pain becomes secondary to the discomfort. Best tip is stay away from friends that make you laugh and pray that you don't develop a cough or worst yet a sneeze.

Today is one year one month after my accident and I am at about 60%.

Dean

28. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Ribs are 6-8 weeks until healed. I know due to having cracked or broken them a few times.

Broke three ribs between the shoulder blade and the spine, damn it hurt. To this day ( happened 5-6 years ago) certain things ( like preparing a meal ) make that area hurt so much I have to stop and lay in the recliner for 15 minutes until it goes away. The Ekornes stressless recliner :inlove: is a thing of beauty and comfort!

Getting up in the middle of the night to piss is a thought process of "how can I get up without nearly passing out in pain" :sick:. But eventually the Bladder wins...:confused:

So be patient, and at about 6 weeks you'll realize that your 90% or better!:)

Faust29, herzalot and mtnbikej like this.