Unoffically Official 2017 VQ and CC Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by DBMX119, Nov 5, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 04-07-18
  1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    It doesn't make sense to me...

Faust29, Rumpled and Mikie like this.
  2. Squidler4

Squidler4 Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Dan
    T-93. Time to start training. I entered CC with a goal of not having a DNF and trying to be in the top 90%. So I doubt Tinker will be trying to draft off of me during the race. The longest MTB ride I have done is just under 30 miles. So I fall in the non-competitive "just want to make the cutoff time" category.

Anyone ride B* after a rain? How many days does it take to dry out?

I was on HTT yesterday and MS. last week both were decent after the rain but I haven't seen anyone post about B* since the last rain.

Thanks

3. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Blackstar is a no-go during and after rain. Clay build-up on bikes almost has to be seen to be believed, but I recommend taking it on faith. Stick with MS as first choice, then HTT, STT/Luge, or SJT.

4. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I'm in the same category as you. Signed up for CC, and just want to finish... This training business is getting addicting... no longer getting satisfied w/ 2000 feet of elevation or 20 minutes of downhill...

5. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I'm in the same boat but fell overboard. Have not been able to get in any rides since mid December and have a full schedule for weeks to come. Beginning to think I wasted $100 foolishly assuming I'd actually have time to train for it and that my wife would actually support me. Wake up 4am and get home 3-5pm and after helping with the kid and sitting down for dinner it's already almost 8pm. On the weekends I have birthdays and every other social obligation under the sun going on lately along with muddy trails. Yes I am bitter and getting up to train at 2am is not an option. Until the time change comes again I am an occasional weekend warrior at best.

6. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Wow. What a schedule!?!

FWIW, an indoor trainer may help you stay fit. Doesn't require commute, maintenance, lights. Just jump on for however long you've got. I've seen and had amazing results during times of challenging schedules/injury/bad weather/etc.

herzalot, bvader, jasonmason and 3 others like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I concur. Blackstar usually takes a good 2-3 days after a rain to dry out. After that you should be good to go.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    It starts that way and before you know it 30/5000' aren't enough. It is a very slippery slope.

9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    All I can say is, I get it... And it does get easier eventually. My wife and I joked that we didn't get a good night's sleep for the first 18 years. But, we remember the younger years pretty vividly, too. There are a lot of good memories in there. My two boys kept us on our toes from sunup to sundown!

10. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    What happened tot he days kids just played outside.....(or road their bike)
    I just finished 9 years of club soccer (year around) with my oldest a few years ago. It was a real drain!
    My youngest son is 8 years old, and I'm trying hard to figure out a way to keep him active without relegating me to spending 5+ hours a week seating and watching.

herzalot, Faust29 and Cornholio like this.
  11. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    He just turned 1 so not ready to play outside until the streetlights come on just yet. I'm starting to accept it that I won't be a regular rider for a long time. I was making it happen last year but he slept more, now I get home and my wife (who also works full time) needs help.

12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Just remember... If you decide to have another, it is not an arithmetic progression of difficulty. One baby is relatively easy... Two babies feels like twelve! And everything you learned with the first won't apply, because they will be night and day opposites. :poop:

They're a lot of fun, but it's the hardest job out there...

13. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    EXACTLY!!!

Faust29, herzalot and Squidler4 like this.
  14. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    hey faust.. are you running the ikons 2.20 in the front and the back for pain divide? I'm gonna put the ikons on the back and thinking putting it in the front too but not too slippery for motorway? I'm trying to drop weight on the kona hei hei for the counting coup.. but want to survive motorway too... the pivot trail is fun to ride but I can feel the weight after 4000k.... maybe better to lay off the ice cream.... NO!

15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I had the Ikon 2.2 in the front, and a Race King in the back... That was more for the long mileage days at the end of last year. I survived Motorway and Trabuco with that combo, but the grip can't compare to a beefier tire. I've been using a Racing Ralph 2.35 up front lately...

For VQ, I will go with something light... Either Ikon/Race King or Racing Ralph/Race King... Not sure yet. I'm just looking to survive that day. I won't be setting any PRs on the downhills.

16. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    just gotta survive CC...

17. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    I know that the question wasn't directed at me...... I used Ikon 2.2 as a front tire on the 2016 QQ.

It worked!

18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    What did you pair it with in the rear? I had it mated with a 2.1 Vee tire ($8 special...) and then with the 2.2 Race King, which mounted up more like a 2.0.

Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.
  19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Another good option instead of the 2.2 Ikon is the 2.35 Ikon. Small weight penalty over the 2.2 but has much better cornering manners, yet still rolls just as fast as the 2.2

Then again....I did run a 2.0 Kenda Blue Groove one year up front...super light, super sketchy, but it survived Motorway and U/LHJ.

20. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Before the race I moved the Bontreger XR2 2.2 from front to rear, and Install the Ikon 2.2.

The XR2 is similar to the Maxxis's pathern. but it is fatter then the Ikon with more spaced out knobs.
    Ideally I would have installed the Ikon on the rear, but I didn't have another XR2, and the one I had was a little worn out (marginal traction).
    Installing a warn out tire on the rear my not be the best go to move before an event, but I had confidence it will do the trick.
    Infact, I'm currently riding the same set of tires.

DangerDirtyD, DBMX119, konakc and 2 others like this.
  21. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    thanks all... now if the rains let up just a bit ....

22. jasonmason

jasonmason Member

Name:
    Tim Smith
    Current Bike:
    Soma Juice SS, Blue Pig X
    Just wanted to chime in that I completely agree with kioti about squeezing time in on the trainer. We've had weeks of rain up here in NorCal, and so other than a few cx/gravel rides the trainer has been my major point of training the last few weeks. I've actually come to enjoy it, in a workout sort of way. Pick one up cheap on CL/Ebay and give it a shot.

Speaking of tires...I've never run the Ikon, but it seems to be a favorite here. Any particular reason? I've run a Slant Six or Specialized Renegade in the rear for xc races up here, and a X King up front. Never really drank the Schwalbe kool-aid, namely because they were so damn pricey. Been thinking of going with a wtb nano 2.1 in the rear - any thought for or against on that?

herzalot and Faust29 like this.
  23. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    We've actually got it easy here in SoCal compared to most of the country. When I lived in Mammoth, both my boss and one of my patrolman friends were road bike racers. One had a trainer set up in his office and the other in his basement, and they'd train on those through snowy days and dark, cold winter nights. They'd mix in outdoor rides when time and weather permitted, often driving down to Bishop for dry roads. Then they'd hit the ground running in Spring and race the Death Valley to Mount Whitney race, which was a two day stage race of about 100 miles and 13,000 feet elevation gain. The first climb out of the gate was roughly 25 miles and just under 5,000 feet of climbing, and it only got harder from that point on. They did well. So can you.

jasonmason, herzalot and Faust29 like this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    For our normally dry conditions, the Ikon has good grip, even though the tread pattern isn't aggressive at all. I attribute some of that to the sidewalls... They have a much nicer feel on the hardtail than the Continentals I sometime run. I like the Race King, X-King, and Mountain King, but they are all pretty stiff and unforgiving. I've also had Conti lemons that either had the sidewall seep issue or fell apart. I also find that I can run the Ikon a pound or two lower than the Continentals.

I recently received a Racing Ralph and have been running it on the front. I'm impressed... And may look for one to try on the rear. I've seen them on Active Junky for close to the same price as the Ikon, so I may give it a try... I would not pay $100 for it.

I haven't tried the Nanos in 29er, but I did try them in 700 x 40 for a 100 miler 1/2 dirt ride this past year on my Franken-Cross el Mariachi... Good grip, fast rolling... no issues on road or dirt.

Evoracer and jasonmason like this.
  25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Here is why I like the Ikon. This is based on using it on the rear.

Fast rolling tire. Lots of rear grip for a low knobby tire. Robust casing(EXO sidewalls) and Tubeless Ready. 29x2.2 is a sub 600g . Good volume for the 2.2

Not sold on the 2.2 up front. For as much volume as it has on the rear, it seems small on the front. However, I love the 2.35 Ikon up front.

I have been a fan of the WTB Nano since 2004 when it was one of the first 29er tires available. Still think it is a great tire. The Ikon is better. WTB Tubless Compatible System tires don't play well with Stan's 29 rims....they are nearly impossible to get the bead on....extremely tight. So then I have to run the Race version of the Nano, and while light, sub 600g's it is definitely no that tough of a tire.

26. jasonmason

jasonmason Member

Name:
    Tim Smith
    Current Bike:
    Soma Juice SS, Blue Pig X
    Ok, so we're all a couple weeks closer now. Hope everyone's been getting their training in.

I'm thinking of coming down over President's weekend to pre-ride part of the course with a couple friends that are doing VQ for their first time this year. Planning to have them do the Blackstar-Motorway section so they have a good idea where their pace needs to be for hitting that first aid station at Maple Springs. How are trail conditions looking for that section? I know rain shuts down Blackstar, but any word on overall trail conditions? I figure y'all would have a pretty good ear to the ground.

Thanks!

27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Blackstar is beat up but rideable.

Main Dividend is in good shape.

Motorway is good for 95% of the trail.

Go for it.

28. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Signing up for CC has been a curse for my riding. I have ridden the fewest miles, hours, etc since signing up than I have in the past 4+ years..

It happened again yesterday.. took the day off after being in the mountains snowboarding so I could get in a long pedal only to have the nanny call in sick. My full day of riding turned into using a vacation day for a full day of "work."

Officially given up and pondering selling my bikes if this continues.

29. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    I came to the realization that I will never be fully satisfied with my training......

My current plan is simple. 6-8 hrs per week on the bike with one ride 3+ hours. At this point I'm not consistently getting there.
    I was hoping to do the following:
    January - build up base miles on the road bike.
    Feb - start climbing.
    March -long organized rides (a road century , and True grip).
    First week of April - rest.

....don't get me started about my diet.

30. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Hang in there Holio!