Unheard of issue with 2014 Evolution Series 34 TALAS 27.5 O/C CTD

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Erckalf, Aug 29, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Erckalf

Erckalf Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Na
    I bought my girlfriend a 2014 Giant Trance from a fellow IMTB member a few months ago and everything was golden until the fork lost what i thought was air spring compression. I had posted a WTB thread yet thankfully Grego confirmed the fork has a unique steering tube and I couldn't just buy and non-boost 27.5 fork. After taking the bike to a local bike shop in Northern Utah they determined the air spring had blown its seals. I was going to upgrade to a Float NA air spring, but thankfully I didn't. I took the fork apart (First time ever doing this) and to my surprise an absurd amount of oil came from the damper stanchion. I then tried pushing the damper shaft into the damper tube and even more oil came out (Still confused), of course i pulled the damper shaft back out and the whole damn lower portion of the damper came off. I removed the upper portion of the damper and was able to screw it back into the bottom portion. Suspected reasoning for this happening is completely unknown other than the upper and lower damper raddling itself loose.

After ordering new damper fluid (refilling to 82.5cc), fox gold oil, and dust seals the fork is back to its normal self.

DangerDirtyD, mike, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I thought this was going to end with an appeal for help putting it back together, but you figured it out on your own! Nice... :thumbsup:

And you're braver than I am. I've learned to fix and install quite a bit, but suspension stuff isn't on that list. :oops:

mike and UPSed like this.
  3. Erckalf

Erckalf Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Na
    Luckily I am mechanically inclined and spent many years working on go-karts (no suspension), and race cars.

Grego, Faust29, mike and 2 others like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?