U Haul Hitches

Discussion in 'Bike Racks' started by Runs with Scissors, Mar 25, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Anyone had experience with U Haul doing a hitch installation? I've got one scheduled for next Saturday because it's less than half the price of the dealer ($230 vs $590). I'm guessing they know what they're doing given who they are, but still..

Shout out!! Good or bad. :thumbsup:

Mikie, Sasquatch9billion and Faust29 like this.
  2. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    I've got one on my wife's car, took maybe an hour, hasnt fallen off the car yet, and came with a warranty on parts and labor. No complaints, cost was $195 for a 2" hitch, installed. Would do it again, which might be in a a couple of weeks.

3. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    The last 3 vehicles I owned, I installed the hitches myself with a minimum of hassle.
    The vehicles were a 2001 E-350 van, a 2015 Sienna, and a 2015 Transit 250.
    All 3 hitches cost less than $150, shipped, from e-trailer.com. All were installed without drilling using pretty basic tools.
    Just sayin.....

Faust29, Voodoo Tom, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  4. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    That was my issue, my car needed two holes drilled, the muffler dropped and bolts fished threw the frame. $25 for install and warranty was easier, plus they have that cool lift and I dont, which makes working under my car a pain in the ass.

Faust29, Mikie, rossage and 1 other person like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
  6. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I used Rack n Road mine on the Subi hidden hitch was slightly complicated they were reasonable and good. Stood up to being rear ended!

Faust29, kioti, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Installing hitches on modern trucks is a snap because they come pre-drilled for a hitch. On any other vehicle, ya just never know what you are getting yourself into but as J has supplied above, there's a specific video on Youtube for most anything on the planet when do-it-yourself is the plan.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Etrailer.com is good about posting up their own installation videos for specific vehicles.

9. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    This is kinda my thing...only $54 for installation and it's got a warranty. I have neither the desire nor the time to do it myself. And it's only going to carry a bike rack. I have no intention of towing a trailer.

So, so far I've got one kudo to U Haul (they're literally down the street from me which is why I asked about them), 3 DIY recommendations, and one Rack & Road. Sounds like I'm going for it. :thumbsup:

Mikie, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  10. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Had uhaul put a hitch on my 2004 honda element in 2008. Just to carry bikes. No problems yet.

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Well... This might be a little dated, but I had one installed by U-Haul on my 1982 Malibu in 1992 when my wife and I got married and left New York... :thumbsup:

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    How's it holding up? :D

The Chevy, not the union :D:D

13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    We only kept the Chevy for another year and then transplanted the engine into an 85 GMC 3/4 ton that my father gave me. Those were the days...

But the hitch held towing my wife's car on a dolly all the way to Florida.

mike, Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  14. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Yup really good, that is where I bought from, I was going to do myself, but actually their installation video convinced be to get a pro, you had to do some small cuts in the heat shield etc. So I knew to ask when I went in.

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I had U-Haul install a receiver hitch on my 2003 Audi Allroad. They did a fine job, and it was relatively inexpensive.

Goose Mud Audi.JPG

BTW, that photo was from 2008. The High Roller Yakima Roof rack is still going strong, as is the Thule T2 on the back. The car transformed into a 2010 white Q5 in Dec. 2009.

RS VR6, Faust29, kioti and 3 others like this.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Uhaul installed my latest on my Honda Civic for a bike hauler.
    Although they messed up the plastic under carriage under the gas tank this last time, they usually do a good job for the price...
    Can't beat the price unless you do it yourself.

Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  17. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    How much was the mud installation??? :whistling:

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That mud ultimately cost me my car. We got into over a foot of goop/clay trying to get to Gooseberry after a wet snow. My car had air suspension that raised to 10" of ground clearance, but that wasn't enough. With 4 adults and 4 bikes we got out of there somehow, but the mud ruined u-joints, tie-rods, axle, and many other parts underneath. The owner of the do-it-yourself carwash in St. George was not amused when we were finished with their cleaning bay.

Mikie, Danimal, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Yowch, herzalot...mud leads to car sale?! :eek:

M/T tires, high clearance and 4wd...don't leave home without at least two out of three. Bonus points for a shovel and tow strap. :):thumbsup:

Mikie, herzalot, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Well, we had 4wd and 10" of clearance. All season tires. We also had a tow strap and a shovel in the car. M/T and 4 WD trucks were stuck where we managed to get in and out. Maybe due to weight ratios - or the fact that the one large puddle we were thinking about venturing through, we decided would instead be our turnaround spot. We rode Hurricane Rim/JEM that day instead. I think we had a serving of Guacamole that afternoon.

21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Our first Touareg (2007) had the adjustable suspension and better skid plates than my Jeep... Now they don't offer any of the off-road options in the states. :thumbsdown:

22. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeah but we used to be able to get the VW emissions bypass package. Greatly increased offroad performance and the ability to "roll coal" on fellow cyclists!

Mikie, Oaken, Rumpled and 3 others like this.
  23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    They still sell the emissions bypass chips on Amazon!

24. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    Please do one thing....take off that ugly U-HAUL decal as soon as you get home.

I ended up buying and OEM model for my car which came with a wring harness for lights. It was cheaper than U-Haul. It took me a while to do alone in the driveway but I've never had any problems. I only had to drill to widen a hole and the cable/bolt fishing as well as the exhaust movement was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The best benefit is the way the OEM hitch is hidden compared to the U-Haul model. They all are a bit different.

If you're looking for a rack, I'm going to put a Thule 990XT in the classifieds soon.

Mikie, Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'm pretty sure the rack that U Haul uses is the OEM rack...with the ugly sticker. :) I've seen pictures of it installed and it looks great to me.

Your Thule looks almost exactly the same as the Yakima Two-Timer I am seriously considering. I can't see a time when I'll be racking more than 2 bikes at a time.

Mikie and SnakeCharmer like this.
  26. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Definitely go with the Yakima. It's made a little bit more burly so I suspect it will outlast Thule's similar model. I used to have a Yakima and it was great but it eventually fell apart so I started shopping the newer models and I happened upon a super discount on the equivalent in a Thule AND I had a considerable stash of gift cards to apply to the purchase. So in the end, I got a brand new top-of-the-line (at that time) model ($449.99 retail) for about $178 out the door, NIB. Otherwise, I would have stayed with Yakima. This Thule is frail, comparatively, but it was CHEAP!

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  27. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Cheap? Or inexpensive? The two are not the same....

Mikie likes this.
  28. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    If the hitch looks good for your model, go for that since the price is nearly half. I was in your situation when I shopped for a hitch and most people I asked were very happy with the U-Haul hitch and installation.

As far as a rack, I can say my Thule has been on four trips to northern California and it has been fine. I had to get that particular model because it holds on the top bar and straps the wheels. I could not use the kind that clamps down on the top of the wheels because I had to transport a old bike with full fenders/trim. I also like that it locks to the hitch and the arms lock to the bikes. Mine holds two bikes but I remember they made and extension for four bikes. Now I ride solo so I just put the bike in the car.

If you have an suv, look at racks that tilt down so you can open your tailgate and watch the location of your tailpipe and your tires. My friend got a rack last year and on a trip, the heat from the exhaust was too close in line with the tire and boom, the tire overheated and blew up.

29. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Uhaul receiver hitches and 1Up Bike Racks.
    Best bang for the buck!
    IMHO...

30. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    So I got the hitch installed...they managed to not have the reservation in the system or the hitch:(...so I boogied to another place that had it it, brought it back, and they installed it. Took only 7 hours to make it happen. :confused:

Got the Yakima Holdup rack at REI - 20% off member sale now to April 10 - saved $86 on a $429 rack. Put the bikes on it today from west Anaheim to Santa Ana Canyon and there's no rattle, wobble, or bounce. 2 inch receiver hitch and rack. No adapters.

Even with the mixup I'd recommend U Haul hitch installation. $230 for hitch and install, lifetime warranty.

20170402_183358.jpg

20170402_183342.jpg

RS VR6, Oaken, rossage and 6 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?