tubeless ready failure...

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by 45acpguy, Jul 22, 2018.

1. 45acpguy

45acpguy Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Camber Comp
    Everything was looking A-OK the past couple days since converting over to tubeless. However, this morning I wanted to try out running at a lower PSI. As I started letting air outta the tire, the valve stems began to leak.

I pulled the tires off, mopped up excess sealant and clean the beads really good. I noticed the factory installed tape was saturated and the tape was lifting up off the inner rim. I peeled off the factory tape and cleaned the wheel with some high quality general solvant/adhesive remover and re-tapped the inner wheels with Gorilla tape (over lapping valve stem hole).

My wheels are Roval Traverse and I opted for the Roval tubeless valve stem. However, the rubber seal on the valves had an odd cut/shape and wouldn’t sit flush against the inner wheel. Basically, I had to really tighten the stem nut and crush that seal on the rim. This time, I trimmed the valves seals down flat, so now they sit flush againt the inner wheel and I didn’t have to crank down on the stem nut to get a decent seal (hopefully).

Should I leave the tire inflated at or near the max pressure for a fews day of riding around the hood before I try testing out lower PSI pressures again? Basically, give the sealant some time to work its way around in there.

kioti, Faust29, mike and 3 others like this.
  2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Hard to diagnose, but try adding 2oz more Stan's, and shake really good with the stem at 6:00 to see if you can get it to seal. Tighten up the stem nut as much as you can as well, that may help. If the inner seal/ring is damaged though, you may need to take it back and get a new stem from the dealer.

45acpguy, kioti, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  3. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    I bet you’ll be fine with the gorilla tape. Both sets of Roval wheels I’ve had came taped up with roval 2Bliss tape so I thought I was good to go. These wheels always lost pressure and eventually the stans peeled up the tape. On one set I did exactly what you described with gorilla tape and it’s been fine for a long time. Other set has some little roval rubber plugs that pop in to the spoke holes and no tape needed. These have been awesome but I’m not sure if they are still available.

If I remember correctly the roval stems had a weird shape to them. Maybe try some generic stans stems? Also resist the urge to over tighten the stems with tools. Hand tight is good enough.

45acpguy, kioti, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    I was going to suggest the Gorilla tape, but you already went there. Good job!
    As well, totally agree with @Voodoo Tom on not over tightening the valve stems. All they need to be is firm so they don’t flop around. Remember, it’s the sealant that will seal the stem, not the rubber boot on the bottom of the stems. Just make sure there are no imperfections of the valve stem hole, no manufacturing imperfections, gouges, or burrs.

I would do what @Cyclotourist suggested and add rotating the tire an eighth turn after sloshing the stand inside the wheel for a bit until you make a full revolution.

45acpguy, kioti, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Use at least 4 ounces of sealant in a wheel. No need to leave over inflated if they held air sitting before. Watch the Stans video to learn how to do the sealant shuffle. It helps to work sealant into all the areas it needs to be.

How low in pressure are you trying to go?

What size/width is the tire(s)?

45acpguy, mike, kioti and 2 others like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    :thumbsup:

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Have always used Stans Tape.....really never had a problem with it. Not sure if the Roval rims have a weird profile or not. However, installing the tape be sure to take your time. I usually use a scuff pad, clean with ISO Alcohol, then apply tape.....pull it really really tight. I overlap the tape at the valve hole. Valves are whatever I can find cheap.....then hand tight.

I've taped rims, mounted the tires/sealant and gone for ride within the same hour without trouble.

It's not rocket science.

45acpguy, mike, kioti and 3 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    This^^^ x1000.

Hand tight only! I learned this the hard way. And it took several failures, because I'm stubborn. :p

Danmtchl, 45acpguy, mike and 4 others like this.
  9. 45acpguy

45acpguy Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    I’ve only been hand tightening the valve nuts. Everything is back together, wheels taped, new o-rings on the valve stems... so far, so good! Even went for a ride!

10. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Valve stems may need to be specific for your wheel, I would check. This happened to an Easton Haven wheel I have. Had to put in the proper fitting stem.

Luis and Danmtchl like this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Good deal!

BTW, I've used Gorilla Tape, Stan's proprietary, and have found I like this generic packing tape: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0Z1Z5C/?tag=imtbtrails-20

Danmtchl and UPSed like this.
  12. muni

muni Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    17 Yeti SB5
    On my Camber, I ended up doing the same thing. Remove old tape and used Gorilla tape. Also next upgrade might be the tires. I ended up tossing the stock (Purgatory) tires because they would de-bead from normal loss of air after a week.

45acpguy, UPSed and Danmtchl like this.
  13. 45acpguy

45acpguy Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    I’ll keep an eye on them. Just spent $60-something bucks on that front 2.6 tire...lol