Trying to decide... Ripmo AF vs Sentinel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kingaucho, Feb 27, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Looking for some input on a couple of bikes. Well, sold my Banshee Spitfire and that helped boost my new bike budget and I gots $ (albeit little) burning a hole in my pocket. This will be my second bike and one I will use mostly on my trips to Tahoe - so chunky, climbing, chunky, chunky... :) Will still use my Anthem for my most of my everyday local riding here in OC. My budget is not high at around $3k or so. I’ve been eyeing Ibis Ripmo AF and was pretty set on it (especially when Jenson starts their 20% off sale again), but noticed a shop in Escondido with some great prices in the same range for the Transition Sentinel (aluminum as well). The geometry numbers look pretty similar on both bikes, the Sentinel is a little heavier, but that doesn't really bother me. From what I have read and seen in reviews I expect the Ripmo AF will be a better climber and Sentinel likely a more plush descender, but not necessarily better. I am not a suspension aficionado and don't really know what to expect in ride quality from DW vs Horst. Transition is doing a demo at The Path, so hopefully I'll be able to ride the Sentinel, but doubt I'll be able to check out the Ripmo AF. Thanks in advance!

Or do I put the $ into tickets at the Project Rwanda bike raffle and hope I get the insane Santa Cruz bike... hmmm? LOL

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    No contest to me, and I have recently ridden the Sentinel and the Ripmo C.

I find the Transition a bit crude compared to the refinements of Yeti, Ibis and Santa Cruz. The Horst Link suspension of the Transition is a huge benefit to some who do not want to introduce any mechanical mischief into the suspension system. But the three aforementioned bikes are just a lot more refined on the climbs, and equally smooth on the descents because of the mechanical advantages engineered into the suspension.

IMO, the Ripmo AF would slay the Sentinel up and down. The Ripmo C did, and it wasn't as slack or long and didn't have as much travel as the AF.

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Demo both. It's the only way to be sure.

4. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Agreed, but doubt I’ll be able to demo the Ripmo AF. Nobody around here has one for demo. I’ve called around.

5. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Thank you! This is great.

6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Travel to far away lands if need be. See where the Ibis demo fleet is headed to and chase it down. Reach out to Ibis if necessary.

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    A bike that doesn’t climb well around Tahoe? You mean for Northscar? Yes, the Sentinel!

:stop::rolleyes::D

8. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Based on the way I read your post, I'm going to assume you know Tahoe much better than I do. I rode there last September for the first time. I had a great time and I'm sure the altitude didn't help but I've never ridden anywhere else where the climbing was so vertical. It definitely worked me over as my strong point on climbing is spinning away. I had to WORK harder than I had planned to on several rides up there. :speechless: Anyway, the point I was going to make is I'd be scouring Pinkbike for a deal on a 2018 or newer bike that climbs REALLY well if I was going to ride in Tahoe on a regular basis. However, I haven't ridden the Ripmo AF but did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last weekend in Prescott so it may be a dream for all I know. Good luck in your quest.

9. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Great call! Looks like the Ibis demo fleet is coming to Pro Bike here in Newport in April.

10. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Call Mike @ Fullerton Bicycles. They're an Ibis dealer and been known to have demo bikes.

11. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Finally pulled the trigger! Ordered the Ripmo AF from Fullerton Bikes. Now the waiting... Mike said 2-3 weeks, likely longer.

doublewide, CBone, herzalot and 8 others like this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Nice!

Group ride at that trail we worked on a couple months back??? I'd drive down for that one... :thumbsup:

herzalot, Cyclotourist, mike and 2 others like this.
  13. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Heck yeah! I'm in.

14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Yea, dog!!!!! Nice aquisition, Lubo. I look forward to seeing that ripper in action. :thumbsup:

15. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    King gaucho..
    I didn't see this thread but u did exactly what I would have recommended anyway...
    I just got the ripmo c... From mike at Fullerton bikes.. once u get it u will enjoy the bike.. it's a decent climber and a fantastic downhiller.. I got it Sunday and have ridden it every single day..
    Only takin a break today bc my legs r gonna break...
    W the ripmo I wanna ride day n night...

16. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    So still waiting for the Ripmo AF and have had too much time goofing around, looking at parts I may want to change and have decided that it’ll be the brakes. It comes with Guide T brakes. I have the Guide RSC on my Anthem and really like them, but from everything I’ve read about the Guide Ts it sounds like they need to go. I can get Magura MT Trail Set (MT5/MT4 combo) for $166, new 4 piston SLX for 200 or new XT’s for 240. Thoughts? Tried my buddy’s MT4s and liked the modulation, which is something I like about the Guide RSCs. Concerned about the Maguras and their compatibility with SRAM Centerline rotors. Sounds like the new 4 piston Shimanos have better modulation and not the on/off feeling and are easier to maintain, not as finicky as the Magura maybe? Rear tire (Maxxis Assegai) will likely be swapped out for something a little faster rolling.

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I've been a Shimano brake fan since my XTR trails in 2013. I've never felt that on-off feeling that people complain about. I did have a problem with 2016 era XT brakes with a wandering bite point and a failed lever. Shimano replaced them and they were better. I now have the XT M8120 with 4 piston calipers and they are AWESOME. However, I think I can finally feel that on-off feel that people complain about. I adapted quickly and have learned to modulate, but I am guessing that those who like the feel of Guides or Codes will not like the touchiness of the new XT 4 piston 8120. But I love them.

18. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Quit messing around with brakes that don’t crush your rotors and get the Shimano Saints.

mtnbikej and kingaucho like this.
  19. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I run MT5s on the front and back of my Whyte, they can be a pain to bleed. The trick I've found is to bleed them from the caliper up and do it slowly. I do everything wrong according to Magura, don't use their oil, rotors or pads and I have had no problems maintenance wise. For feel I prefer them over the Hopes I run on my other bike. Haven't used any of the others your thinking about so can't comment on them, sorry!

kingaucho likes this.
  20. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    IMO
    I've had Shimano XT's, loved them even w/ the on off issue. Simple to maintain once you get it dialed. Lever feel was great, but adjust-ability was lacking. Brake fade on long gnar descents.
    I now have Guide RSC's and love them more than the XT's. Better modulation. More settings to dial in the lever position and contact point. One drawback is there is not a "quick bleed". No brake fade and actually seems to get better on long descents. More bite as they heat up (might be the pads??).
    Haven't tried the Magura's, but I want to AND @ that price you mentioned why not? Give 'em a try, I would. I heard good things about them.

herzalot, mtnbikej and kingaucho like this.
  21. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    I had Maguras for a second. Their bleed port on the lever is PLASTIC. Stupid thing strips if you look at it wrong. I sold them.

Shimano's (2 and 4 pot) have worked fine for me, still have XTRs on the Stache, no problems, easy to bleed. I prefer SRAM Codes though. Still want to try TRP, the Hayes Dominion looks pretty good, as does the Formula Cura 4. The Hope that takes the 2.0mm rotors is intriguing. TRP has a 2.3mm rotor brake for ebikes (just looked, they make several versions that only take 2.3mm rotors, two of which are not ebike specific (not that it matters if a component like a brake is labeled for ebike use)), I'd like to give that a try.

herzalot, kingaucho and Redman like this.
  22. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Well! Mike just heard back from Ibis and looks like I will have to wait until mid July. Not surprised, but still a little bummed. The Anthem with beefier tires will have to do for this upcoming Tahoe trip! Bring it!

UPSed, mtnbikej and mike like this.
  23. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    mike likes this.
  24. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Well, mid-July came and went and no bike. Fullerton Bikes were told to expect mid-August. Checked in with them and Ibis and was told bike is being built now and will be here “in a few weeks”... Whatever “a few weeks means”. Dammit! I’m getting a little impatient, but will wait it out I think. Even with the new Giant Trance 29 that was just announced this week. That def ticked most of the boxes for me, except for the suspension.

Faust29, mtnbikej, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  25. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    Not envious of your long wait time @kingaucho. It’s a great bike at a great value. Has Fullerton Bikes mentioned anything about build changes since you placed your order? I’ve heard that Deore is available and some alternative forks being offered.

26. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I would say the XX1 build at $10,899 is a high end build. :whistling:

Faust29, mtnbikej, bvader and 3 others like this.
  27. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    You might try writing or calling Ibis directly. Sometimes the squeaky wheel...

mike, kingaucho and mtnbikej like this.
  28. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Yeah agree but the build line goes from like slx/xt/GX straight to that... It just seems like a big gap.

Of course IF I were to do one I would probably custom build anyways

mike, mtnbikej and UPSed like this.
  29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    You're right. I'm guessing that's probably a $5k jump.

mike and mtnbikej like this.
  30. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    I have not asked re: the build itself. From reading Pinkbike and MTBR, seems like most people are getting random stuff changed - some are getting a Race Face cockpit instead of Ibis, Deore instead of NX, DVO Onyx and Fox 36 instead of DVO Diamond, etc. I expect that I’ll get some different parts than what I ordered back in May.

mtnbikej, mike, Makoto and 1 other person like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?