True Grit Epic 2022

Discussion in 'Racing' started by mtnbikej, Nov 16, 2021.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    Moxie Mx3, SC Lizard & a Sutra
    I enjoyed it on both bikes, but I hurt a lot less afterwards on the Hightower. :laugh: Single speed this time, but I'm not sure which one.

I don't think the 100 is in the cards anymore for me... The 50, which is only 44 miles, was easily as physically demanding as Wrightwood. :confused:

2. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I am leaning more towards the NUE races right now, which puts this event on the calendar if I do. 100 (eh....88?) for me if I do.

SS Barby, Faust29, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  3. SS Barby

SS Barby Well-Known Member

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS/ Esker Hayduke
    Hey guys, would I be completely insane to do this race on my Niner SS rigid? I still have to wait and see when I can get flooring installed in my house but am waiting on the actual tile to be available with no actual date but have been thinking a lot about doing it. I just would prefer to do it single speed since all the other races I am going to do this year will be single speed.

Faust29 likes this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    You've been on the 2 most technical sections of course....Barrel Roll/Zen. The rest of the course is much less technical....more akin to Bear Claw Poppy.

Faust29 and SS Barby like this.
  5. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I would think Barrel Roll on a rigid would be fine. Only a couple places I would really want suspension. Zen would probably be a nice climb with rigid, the DH would probably beat the hell out of you.

But my memory comes from riding a 170mm enduro, and running, not really relevant.

I will likely make my mind up this week on whether I am going the NUE route, of XCT route. Probably NUE.

Faust29, SS Barby and mtnbikej like this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Fortunately, @SS Barby has a lot of experience riding rigid....so he may be a bit more primed for it.

Faust29 and Sidewalk like this.
  7. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Thanks guys. I will see how it goes. My Sir 9 is old geometry and has a 1 1/8th" steerer. I have a 100mm old Reba, not sure it is any better than rigid, it is like riding a pogo stick. I know the descent on Zen and Barrel Roll would be interesting but, I guess if that is the option I take I would just dismount if unsure. @Sidewalk you are right, the back side of Zen would be arm pump city. That is more concerning than the technical stuff.

I will be going to the Sedona MTB Festival the weekend prior with hopes of either going home with a Spot Rocker ( if they will sell their demo bikes on location, fingers crossed but probably not) or having one on order. This will not give enough time to go race it, I will have my 130 mm fork on that but since it is tapered it will not work on my Niner. Hope to see you guys there.

8. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    The NUE calendar seems a little weak, they have eliminated a few races that looked interesting. Some with epicrides have pulled a couple of races; Grand Junction, Carson City and Ozark trails. Kind of sucks.

Faust29 and Sidewalk like this.
  9. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Registered last night

Current plan is:
    True Grit
    High Cascades 100 (Bend, OR)
    Wilderness 101 (Pennsylvania)
    Telluride 100
    Grizzly 100

That is assuming I don't lose my job. If I do, I might do more races :gag:

bvader, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  10. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Nice I will see you at the True Grit, High Cascade and Grizzly. Never heard of Telluride 100, will have to look into that. Hopefully, the Wrightwood 50 happens this year.

11. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    The current Bobcat closure order expires April 1/22. Seeing photos of Gabrielino and Red Box Rincon areas on backside of Mt Wilson, I'd say there is a good chance it gets extended again. Hopefully with a smaller footprint though. Manzanita and South Fork CG were near the edge of the fire's footprint and should be ok.

In the meantime, I'll post this again for those considering other events: https://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/ Same format as WW50, great routes, and free$ with no support/hand holding. Antelope Peak Challenge, Tortolita 50 and Ripsey are all coming up soon. Add in a couple other rides and these make for a great weekend of riding. And there are some fast guys who show up to give the @Sidewalk s of the forum a run for their money.

12. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    AES sounds really cool and been of interest for a while. Originally I just couldn't travel at all. Now I can, but I forgot about it until now (thanks for the reminder).

evdog likes this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    Moxie Mx3, SC Lizard & a Sutra
    My goal is not to have you pass me when you're on your second lap. :laugh:

Never say never, but the Lowe Life’s have been working on the Gabrielino inside the closure. They started last month with chainsaw crews. I’d look for it to be open in April. I'm hopeful!

Pics of some of what they’ve cleared already are on Instagram.

herzalot, evdog and Sidewalk like this.
  14. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Would be awesome if it did re-open. I'm sure a ton of treadwork will be needed too. I've ridden all of it in sections over various rides, seems like there was always one section or another that was in really bad shape. I imagine there will be a lot of other stuff to do before USFS will allow people back into the area....danger trees, cleaning up rec sites, etc. I think that is what would likely hold up a re-opening. Fingers crossed! It will be awesome when the entire Gabrielino can be ridden in one go.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?