True Grit Epic 2022

Discussion in 'Racing' started by mtnbikej, Nov 16, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I enjoyed it on both bikes, but I hurt a lot less afterwards on the Hightower. :laugh: Single speed this time, but I'm not sure which one.

I don't think the 100 is in the cards anymore for me... The 50, which is only 44 miles, was easily as physically demanding as Wrightwood. :confused:

Mikie, herzalot, UPSed and 5 others like this.
  2. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I am leaning more towards the NUE races right now, which puts this event on the calendar if I do. 100 (eh....88?) for me if I do.

Mikie, SS Barby, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  3. SS Barby

SS Barby Well-Known Member

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS/ Esker Hayduke
    Hey guys, would I be completely insane to do this race on my Niner SS rigid? I still have to wait and see when I can get flooring installed in my house but am waiting on the actual tile to be available with no actual date but have been thinking a lot about doing it. I just would prefer to do it single speed since all the other races I am going to do this year will be single speed.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    You've been on the 2 most technical sections of course....Barrel Roll/Zen. The rest of the course is much less technical....more akin to Bear Claw Poppy.

Mikie, Faust29 and SS Barby like this.
  5. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I would think Barrel Roll on a rigid would be fine. Only a couple places I would really want suspension. Zen would probably be a nice climb with rigid, the DH would probably beat the hell out of you.

But my memory comes from riding a 170mm enduro, and running, not really relevant.

I will likely make my mind up this week on whether I am going the NUE route, of XCT route. Probably NUE.

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Fortunately, @SS Barby has a lot of experience riding rigid....so he may be a bit more primed for it.

Mikie, Faust29 and Sidewalk like this.
  7. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Thanks guys. I will see how it goes. My Sir 9 is old geometry and has a 1 1/8th" steerer. I have a 100mm old Reba, not sure it is any better than rigid, it is like riding a pogo stick. I know the descent on Zen and Barrel Roll would be interesting but, I guess if that is the option I take I would just dismount if unsure. @Sidewalk you are right, the back side of Zen would be arm pump city. That is more concerning than the technical stuff.

I will be going to the Sedona MTB Festival the weekend prior with hopes of either going home with a Spot Rocker ( if they will sell their demo bikes on location, fingers crossed but probably not) or having one on order. This will not give enough time to go race it, I will have my 130 mm fork on that but since it is tapered it will not work on my Niner. Hope to see you guys there.

Mikie, herzalot, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  8. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    The NUE calendar seems a little weak, they have eliminated a few races that looked interesting. Some with epicrides have pulled a couple of races; Grand Junction, Carson City and Ozark trails. Kind of sucks.

Mikie, Faust29 and Sidewalk like this.
  9. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Registered last night

Current plan is:
    True Grit
    High Cascades 100 (Bend, OR)
    Wilderness 101 (Pennsylvania)
    Telluride 100
    Grizzly 100

That is assuming I don't lose my job. If I do, I might do more races :gag:

Mikie, bvader, Old&InTheWay and 8 others like this.
  10. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Nice I will see you at the True Grit, High Cascade and Grizzly. Never heard of Telluride 100, will have to look into that. Hopefully, the Wrightwood 50 happens this year.

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, RIGID and 4 others like this.
  11. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    The current Bobcat closure order expires April 1/22. Seeing photos of Gabrielino and Red Box Rincon areas on backside of Mt Wilson, I'd say there is a good chance it gets extended again. Hopefully with a smaller footprint though. Manzanita and South Fork CG were near the edge of the fire's footprint and should be ok.

In the meantime, I'll post this again for those considering other events: https://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/ Same format as WW50, great routes, and free$ with no support/hand holding. Antelope Peak Challenge, Tortolita 50 and Ripsey are all coming up soon. Add in a couple other rides and these make for a great weekend of riding. And there are some fast guys who show up to give the @Sidewalk s of the forum a run for their money.

Mikie, Faust29, Sidewalk and 2 others like this.
  12. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    AES sounds really cool and been of interest for a while. Originally I just couldn't travel at all. Now I can, but I forgot about it until now (thanks for the reminder).

Mikie and evdog like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My goal is not to have you pass me when you're on your second lap. :laugh:

Never say never, but the Lowe Life’s have been working on the Gabrielino inside the closure. They started last month with chainsaw crews. I’d look for it to be open in April. I'm hopeful!

Pics of some of what they’ve cleared already are on Instagram.

Mikie, herzalot, evdog and 1 other person like this.
  14. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Would be awesome if it did re-open. I'm sure a ton of treadwork will be needed too. I've ridden all of it in sections over various rides, seems like there was always one section or another that was in really bad shape. I imagine there will be a lot of other stuff to do before USFS will allow people back into the area....danger trees, cleaning up rec sites, etc. I think that is what would likely hold up a re-opening. Fingers crossed! It will be awesome when the entire Gabrielino can be ridden in one go.

15. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Hey guys, I will be joining you for the race this year. I am going to race fully rigid so that should be interesting.

Do you guys have plans for lodging at a hotel or something. Can I share a room with someone?

Mikie, Obsidian and DangerDirtyD like this.
  16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

I've got a 2 bedroom condo reserved.....same place as before.

Steve and his wife, Suzanne and myself. We do have an extra bed if you want it.

17. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I got a camping spot at the event, I will be sleeping in the van.

Rumpled, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  18. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Thanks Jason. That would be great. I will even sleep on the floor if something changes. Just trying to avoid having to sleep in a tent.

19. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Just a question for you True Grit veterans. I am pretty nervous about doing Zen and the Waterfall rigid. Are those trails in a congested part of the race where I will be pressured from riders behind me to go faster or are they later in the race where if needed I can take a little more time?

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    More people walk the Waterfall than ride it. I have it be both ways. Wide open and congested. There a e few lines uo too so not too difficult to get around someone. But just be prepared to walk if need be.

Zen is not so bad in traffic. You’ll likely climb faster than most of the geared riders. If you are walking a feature uphill, so are the geared riders. Descending….I wouldn’t be too concerned.

Mikie, Obsidian, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I never had pressure on the downhills... The only one where you'll feel single speed humility is on Bearclaw Poppy, which comes after Zen. Guys turning tall gears will pass you like you're standing still. You'll see some of them again when it comes time to turn uphill on Stucki. :gag:

The only real congestion I remember is in the beginning. I caught a whole herd of geared guys in the little finger canyons. They are narrow with a lot of little ledges, and no room to pass. The geared guys crawl through there.

22. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    I am more concerned about the technical descent stuff then anything. I have been back on my rigid SS for about 2 months now and it is going good but have not gotten out on anything technical at all. I have been staying close to home due to doing a kitchen remodel. Majority of my local riding is very similar to the JEM trail. I just know that there are racers that get pissy when you get in their way. I am actually hoping for a little congestion while descending Zen so that I will not be the only one slowing down faster descenders. I guess there is nothing I can do about it, I don't have any other options right now so it is what it is. No different than a beginner descending/riding the technical stuff, I guess. I also might be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Will see when I get there. The climbing side of it doesn't concern me at all.

Mikie, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  23. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    You can't throw a fork on the rigid for the race?

24. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    The only fork I have is a piece of crap old Rock Shox Reba ( I am going to mess with it this weekend to see if I can get it working descent). Since I broke my other SS, I am on my old '12 Niner Sir 9 with a straight steerer tube w/ rigid fork, 72 degree head angle, mechanical disk brakes, no dropper and quick release hubs non boost. Total old skool. I am sure I will be OK. Just everytime I think about it, I get concerned because I am probably doing the most technical course that I plan to race this year on a rigid.

25. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    If you've got 2.6 or wider tires on the rigid, should be no problem. If not, bring Tylenol and Advil.

Mikie, Faust29 and SS Barby like this.
  26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

You’ll be fine. There are currently 850 registered. If anyone expects a wide open course….that’s on them.

Mikie, Sidewalk and Faust29 like this.
  27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    If it's any consolation, I did the race the first time with no dropper... I dropped the seat manually for the Zen descent, but rode the rest of the race with it up.

Mikie likes this.
  28. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Don't worry about it. They should have gotten in front of you before the descent.

As one of the fastER (but not the fastest) guys, I usually deal with a ton of slow traffic. Only frustrating when they block the trail because they *think* they can go faster than me and stay ahead. I just ask to pass, and am totally fine waiting for a safe spot. Some people are actually too aggressive about letting you pass and may actually stop in a bad location making it worse.

29. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    I have raced plenty in my life. Probably not at your level but did race as a Expert/CAT 1 back around 2007-2010. Mostly at Rim Nordic and other SoCal's series stuff. I know how it goes but just don't want to be that guy you mention above and not for lack of ability, more for fear of pushing my ability without suspension. Just because I know I can ride a certain feature on a normal bike, maybe I shouldn't be riding as aggressively on a rigid bike. I am definitely one who knows and allows for faster riders to pass, safely. I have been in plenty of frustrating situations being stuck behind riders who do not allow you to pass.

30. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Dude, if you can handle the gnar that is P-12 then you can handle anything that Zen can throw at you! :thumbsup:

:gotnothing::laugh::laugh::laugh:
    I kid.
    Zen is a challenge but you know how to handle a bike.

SS Barby, Voodoo Tom and mtnbikej like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?