Tres Amigos Tackle Art Smith

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtnbikej, Jan 26, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yeah, we went again.

Myself, @Faust29 and the Professor returned to Palm Canyon this morning. The Professor wasn't feeling so hot when we did this a few weeks ago and wanted another shot at it.

So the wheels started to turn. Let's mix up the route.

The plan.....Pinyon Flat Campground to Mike's Oasis, Hahn/Buena Vista to Dunn Rd, and back up to Mike's Oasis, then finish up with Art Smith.

We knew it was gonna be a longer ride, and much more climbing. So we took the stop and smell the roses approach to this ride.

We cruised in from Pinyon Flat Campground. The wind was blowing, but it was warmer than on New Years weekend.

The Professor....feeling much better today
    IMG_4435.JPG

Faust29 exersing some demons on the switchbacks.....IMG_4436.JPGIMG_4437.JPG IMG_4439.JPG

We were hoping for some water in the creek at the merge with the upper trail, but it was dry. Continued the cruiser pace.

IMG_4440.JPG

IMG_4443.JPG

Everyone still having a great time....

IMG_4444.JPG

Before long we made it to the drop down to Indian Protrero Trail.....

Was good to see a fair amount of water in the pools....along with some "feline" paw prints in the wet sand.

Indian Protrero....
    IMG_4446.JPG

We decided to take the Indian Protrero Trail.....I hadn't been on it in a lot of years. I forgot how fun it is.

The Professor lead the charge up the Sand Wash.....no PR's, but we weren't slow. It was warm, but the breeze kept us comfortable.

Quick break at Mike's Oasis
    IMG_4447.JPG

After a short break and a snack we climbed up Hahn....no stop a the sign today, we just rolled through. The cool breeze was a welcome comfort.

Apparently someone had a slow speed tip over near the top.....
    IMG_4448.JPG IMG_4449.JPG
    IMG_4451.JPG

Fun run down Hahn/Buena Vista. The connector climb back to Dunn Rd. was a bit toasty, but the closer we go to the Dunn Rd. the cool breeze picked up.

As we started the climb back up Dunn Rd. the Professor started to fall back a bit, then alot. Turns out he was starting to fight cramps in his legs. Turns out he wasn't drinking enough......so we stopped and reloaded his bottle with Tailwind. This would help a little bit....for a little while.

IMG_4452.JPG

IMG_4453.JPG
    Shortly after, we returned to Mike's Oasis.....the Professor was still hurting a little, so we didn't hang out long.

IMG_4455.JPG
    The only other time I had done Art Smith was a really hot day, and I was on the SS. Art Smith Trail is not SS friendly. I didn't like it, since there was so much climbing...especially for a trail that is supposed to trend downward. So I was a little curious how it would be on the geared bike.

Well it was a lot more climbable on the Hightower. Still had to hoof it a few times.

Different scenery than the rest of the ride.....
    IMG_4456.JPG IMG_4457.JPG
    The Professor was suffering alot. Yet the trail seemed to just keep going up and up. I'd imagine he was cursing me everytime he came around the corner just to see more climbing.

We finally reached the goods at towards the end. Fun and techy switchbacks....lots of chunk. Good stuff.

Just as we reached the last section of trail, we ran across a herd of Big Horn Sheep. It was a great bonus at the end of the ride...
    IMG_4458.JPG IMG_4459.JPG IMG_4460.JPG

The Professor made it back to the truck...but could barely move. A burger and a Coke at the Paradise Cafe helped a little bit, and some Gatorade on the way home. He'll be sore tomorrow.

Great day on the bike. I felt better the longer the day went...and feeling pretty good strong at the end.

32 / 4200'

2. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Of all the freakin times I’ve been out there I have yet to see big horn sheep. :(

tick, Tom the Bomb, mike and 12 others like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Trek FEX
    You should see how the herds gather at a park in Boulder City just down the road from Bootleg. It's like a darn petting zoo.

tick, Tom the Bomb, mike and 7 others like this.
  4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Art Smith is my favorite way to end PCE. I've seen quite a few riders reduced to quivering messes by old Art.
    Good job.

5. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    AS ending is even better if you add on Hopalong Cassidy.

Thanks for the TR. Similar to our ride a couple weeks ago

~JB~, Tom the Bomb, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Great job, guys. Especially the Prof! Art Smith is, as you say J, a heartbreaker if you’re feeling spent.

Such a great area with many options. Glad y’all are mining conditions. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Fun day!

And now he has me wondering if we could turn it into a 50 miler... Just so much fun stuff out there.

I was a little tired, but still feeling good for Art Smith. Although we were slower this time, I had a lot more fun on that trail. There were a few things I didn't clean, but I made it through a lot more than on the old El Mariachi. Fun stuff...

Cue up the Lion King music...
    BB883084-9A61-4A8B-B9B9-8F50D1241FDA.jpeg

EFCFC7E3-C87B-40BF-B44E-D17CB742C520.jpeg

0377B41A-8169-4EE5-93F0-B3C191552AE9.jpeg

B26FAADA-8A21-4EE3-9BB4-B233420DBCCD.jpeg

8. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Oh ya thats a good one. Art Smith is no cake walk. Big fun at the end though. Sheep sighting is cool!

mike, UPSed, Grego and 5 others like this.
  9. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    50 miler?

Tom the Bomb, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Without climbing back to the top.....not sure how to do this. Could be....painful.

Tom the Bomb, mike, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Actually, you could climb to the top of Wildhorse, then descend back to Dunn Rd....this would add about 7 miles, getting closer to 40.

12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Could be? That place is no joke no matter the miles or elevation. 50 miles would definitely put the E in Epic!

13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    I knew if I threw it out there, you guys who know the place better would start noodling it. :D :whistling:

14. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    @mtnbikej Hey J, I've been told that there is a trail that secretly veers off of Art Smith that is, according to my source, very technical. Do you know what I speak of? Did you notice it?

15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    More technical than Art? :eek:

This one, maybe? The first one shows the Art Smith exit, and another trail farther up the wash (black unlabeled arrow)... The second image shows more of the trail. It looks like they meet higher up.

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 12.13.45 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 12.14.03 PM.jpg

16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Art Johnson veers off Art Smith close to the Oasis. Or are we talking way down Art Smith? Hopalong Cassidy splitting off left?

A way to get fifty out there is to add stuff south of 74. Take the fire road 9 mi up Santa Rosa mountain, drop Sawmill Trail 7 mi to Pinion Flat CG. Plus about 4 miles of glorious paved Scenic Byway if you start at the CG. But you're getting pretty high up there, nearly 9000', so prolly more of a shoulder season route. If that's not enough you could tack on Thomas Mountain fire road to Ramona Trail plus the 10 mi of road to Santa Rosa fire road. If that's not enough, start at South Ridge Idy and drop through May Valley to Thomas Mtn. :sneaky:

The road riding connections between those areas is pretty damn sweet for road, all the way from Idyllwild to Pinion Flat CG. The winding Palms to Pines grade between PFCG and Desert Center is best avoided by cyclists. I think it would be torturous just tooling around for fifty miles down there in the desert. But I'm light...

17. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    I think I remember him telling me it drops you down by a Carl's Jr....Use those map skills and find the Carl's and work back. :sneaky:

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    That describes Art Johnson. There is a spot most people walk through, not so much bc the difficulty as the penalty. It's that section traversing the hillside. Nothing that wiggy on Art Smith. AS has more consistent difficulty, especially considering the climbing while going "down." A big group of us here finished PC that way (Art Johnson). It's faster overall than AS.

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Art Johnson......it drops you down right at the same point that Cathedral Trail(Cindy Whitehead). My understanding is it is a lot like Cathedral Trail. I have not done AJ.

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    It's not really secret.....when you get on Art Smith from the picnic tables.....within the 1st 100 feet, look to the left, you will see the trail....it's not hard to miss.

21. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    That's what he said, really not secret and really not hard to miss the entrance.

22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    But... If he was told it's a "secret" trail, that's not Art Johnson... Time to hit the Strava heat maps.

Edit: Just saw what you two wrote above...

Tom the Bomb, mike and mtnbikej like this.
  23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Strava Heat Maps to the rescue... Following the entire length of Art Smith, there is only Art Johnson at the top, the trail near the bottom that veers to the left (forgot the name...), and what looks like an alternate exit to Art Smith that is shown in my pictures above. According to the Strava Heat Maps, that one is only used by hikers, and it looks really steep.

Art Smith Options.jpg

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

The ? is Hopalong Cassidy Trail. It is where we stopped and talked to the 2 lady hikers.

25. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Art Smith for the win going "down". I have heard Hopalong Cassidy has a pretty significant HAB. I'm not supposed to finding out for myself though.

26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Art Smith Sampler...

27. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I'll have to check old GPS tracks but I might have done a 50-miler back in the day. Might have been before I owned a GPS though.

We did do a shuttle starting at Santa Rosa Mtn and then ending with the standard PCE route. But that wasn't 50, it might have been closer to 40. Edit - found link to the TR from another forum which says 41 miles. I have always wanted to do the Santa Rosa ride ending with Art Smith/Hopalong. That should get you to 50 miles if you include the 100% dirt route I now have from the Pinyon campground to Pine View Rd. I should be able to edit a track together later and get the exact stats. This would be an October "before the snow flies" ride. Probably difficult or impossible in winter/spring due to snow and/or downed trees.

http://dirttreaders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3891&hilit=rosa

Hopalong after that many miles might crush some souls though. There are a few hike a bikes on it. It is not an easy ride in either direction. Like everything else, there are a lot of short steep pitches to climb that your legs won't like. For reference, here is the big HAB heading "downhill" (north). :sneaky:

IMG_3042.jpg

28. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Ha ha! That photo brings back memories...
    I was with @Tom the Bomb and he wanted to do Hopalong. We followed an arrow scratched in the dirt off Art Smith trail. Many ups and downs, and then... Well, you can see @evdog pic.
    Brutal!

29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Same here. The first time I did PCE was with OTB. A few decided to take Hopalong and my response was F that!

30. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    @Sidewalk knows how to make it a 50++ miler.