Trail recommendations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sidewalk, Feb 6, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    My visit with the surgeon went well, she basically said to keep doing what I've been doing. So...I need some local trails to ride! Looking for some local stuff to hit in the next week, places I haven't been. I can try and go just outside of rush hour. I'm back to work in a week and a half.

Unusual for me...not too chunky. I don't want to take any risks with my foot still fractured. I'm riding my Epic FS right now, Enduro is parked until I start getting paychecks to replace the cassette (and deraileur, and shifter...Eagle GX).

Friend posted a picture of up Maple, down Joplin, looked pretty. SART I'm pretty sure is all snow.

2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Welcome back! Glad the foot is healing up for you! I don't know what you're defining local as, but
    @evdog did a pretty good one recently:
    https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/i-rode-my-bike-today.2149/page-547#post-168013
    You could combine that with Goat Canyon Trestle ride from Dos Cabezas and have a great couple of days in the desert.
    http://www.anzaborrego.net/anzaborrego/forum/topic545-dos-cabezas-and-goat-canyon.aspx

A lot more local and less epic, have you checked out Shelton Trail in Highland? It's pretty fun. Ride that, then go further east to get to Santa Ana Cyn Rd. and Lower Workout trails... they're a good bit of fun!

3. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I thought read that you can get ticketed for being out on the tracks. Private ownership or something?

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Good to hear from you @Sidewalk . Best wishes on your recovery! As has been said to others - take your time and be a patient patient.

Joplin is not a trail for foot recovery, IMO. Steep, rutted, chunky and challenging when fully healthy (for me, anyway).

Sidewalk, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You can always go up Maple, and hang a left on Main Divide and head to Motorway... Although sections of Main Divide right now might be rough on a recovering foot. There are rocky sections on Motorway, but it can be ridden slower... It's not steep enough that it has to be bombed. 17 mile loop, with 3600 feet. Most of the climbing comes on Maple Springs up to Four Corners. Parking on the side of the road before the CNF lot. The forest gate is closed right now, so there isn't any vehicle traffic on Maple.

Maybe an out and back on Eagle, as well? 3 miles of single track downhill that's pretty smooth...

Motorway is the best trail that's open in the CNF right now...

Fueledbyex8, Sidewalk, konakc and 6 others like this.
  6. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    It is railway property and you can get ticketed. They patrol sporadically but I haven't heard of anyone being bothered for a few years. Usually when they are out there will be posts by riders on MTBR whining about getting turned around, so keep an eye on the thread there. And learn from their mistakes - don't post up a 30+ person group ride right in that thread :facepalm:

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I’d head for SoAz if I had a week.

Glad your foot is GTG! Be careful, go like hell.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Yeah, agree...,,Joplin is not a good rehab ride for a broken foot. Some of the rocky sections will give Noble Cyn a run for it’s money.

9. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Also, it does not do well in the rain. I haven't heard of anyone attempting it after this last series of storms, but it may need substantial work. Last time I tried it right after a big series of storms there were extensive sections that were unrideable - and almost unHABable.

10. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    LOL the more I think about this thread, the more I think you would be better off starting with (in order of increasing difficulty)

(1) Out and back on Black-Star Canyon. Turn left on Main Divide (and left at the four radio towers) if you are feeling strong and want to go to Sierra Peak.
    (2) Maple Springs / Harding loop. Park at tree farm (Silverado Canyon). Up Maple Springs, turn right at Four Corners, down Harding, ride out Santiago Canyon road back to tree farm.
    (3) Maple Springs / Motorway. Park at tree farm or upper lot (Silverado Canyon). Up Maple Springs, turn left at Four Corners, across Main Divide, down Motorway.
    (4) Harding / Joplin loop. Park at Cook's Corner, ride across Modjeska grade and up Modjeska Canyon to Harding. Up Harding to Four Corners. Up Main Divide to Joplin. Down Joplin, down Santiago Truck Trail, down Luge.

By the time you do all of this, parts of you will be hurting that will make you forget your foot :)

11. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @Sidewalk CHSP is local and you can put together long rides on really smooth fireroads and singletrack. Don't know if you are familiar with the park. Nothing in there is gnar or chunky or steep. I'd hit that place up... IF IT IS OPEN. It does not handle rain very well.

Best of luck on your recovery.:thumbsup:

12. Mrtahiti80

Mrtahiti80 Member

Name:
    abe
    Hit me up josh! I'm always down to ride I don't know if I can keep up with you but I'd love a local training partner

13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Private, but accessible. Especially if climbing up from Dos Cabezas. Buddy of mine rode it a few weeks ago with no drama. Some of the tunnels are blocked, so there are HAB routes around them.

14. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Sir faust.. where would this eagle trail be located? Is it the parallel trail down skyline? The steep chunky downhill? Coming down opposite side of blackstar from ball?

mike, mountaingirl sara and Faust29 like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Eagle is about a mile north of Motorway off of Main Divide... It was a fire road at one time that has grown over into a single track. It's like a smoother faster Motorway. The very bottom has access issues, but there are a couple ways to exit legally. From the bottom, it's a 10 minute road ride (mostly downhill) to the bottom of Skyline.

You can see it on this route... https://www.strava.com/activities/864419690

16. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Thank u!

mike, mountaingirl sara and Faust29 like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    If you pull it up on Google Earth, you can find the legal exits just a few hundred yards above the problem exit.

18. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Okay, no Joplin!

The guy I know who rode there recently is very fit and skilled. But if it is anywhere near Noble like, I'll skip it (for now...he he).

I did 33 miles, 3300' tonight, felt great. I limited the technical stuff (still some, but not a lot). So I'm still a mountain biker! I had a ton of fun, so good being back on the mountain bike. I've done a few rides in the past couple of weeks, but this was the first that felt like I didn't need to hold back (except the tech).

I'll hit some of these suggestions, thanks for the input! I want to put in a lot of fun miles over the next week before going back to work and training!

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I can smell the stoke! :cool:

20. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
  21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Heeeeee'ssss baaaaaccccckkkkkk.... :D :thumbsup:

I just looked at the pictures on your Strava. Very cool... :thumbsup: It looks like the snow that came down on us the other day hung around.

mtnbikej, Cyclotourist and Sidewalk like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?