Trail Bell Stations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bvader, Apr 24, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I leave mine off until I feel that its necessary so the fact that this bell has an on/off switch is HUGE.

To be honest, bells drive me nuts. One of the important things to me about getting out on the trails is to escape man made sounds. But I see the need for alerting others as I approach. The only time that it seems necessary to me to use it is when I am moving at speed, especially on twisty trails with blind turns. I get thanked often enough for using a bell so I guess its doing its job.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    100%

Something scary just happened. I agreed with every word you said. :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

-ROCKY-, Mikie, ~JB~ and 4 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It’s because you rode together. :Roflmao

4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Must be a mom and pop shop. So far they've only created a shipping label.

-ROCKY-, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  5. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Wow, my replacement bell arrived two days after ordering. Then again, if they are out, perhaps you will get the newest version.

-ROCKY-, herzalot, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  6. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Replying to my own post, because I am cool like that. My Chinese knockoff Timberbell failed today (clapper fell out on Lynx), so 13 months. I even did the WD40 trick someone mentioned, but that didn't help. :cautious:

Good thing I have a brand new $10 replacement Timberbell they sent me last year. We shall see how long this one lasts. :laugh:

7. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    I was thinking about mounting up some sleigh bells. Everybody knows what they are, but maybe they will stop in the middle of the trail and look up.....

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My 4th Timber Bell dropped it's clapper today on Rock-It. Let's see if they will send me another for free. I've only paid for two so far.

Timber Bells.jpg
    3 clapperless Timber Bells. My first one jettisoned from the bike entirely as I chose the wrong rubber strap to affix it.

9. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I am either on my 4th or 5th, I can't remember. I currently have three good ones though. No, you can't have one. :laugh:

10. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Is there a way to make mine not ring when its switched off? Unlike ^clowns above I have only lost one timber and it was entirely my own fault, unexpected sudden loss of talent experienced, crash resulted, timber exploded.
    Heres the problem; New timber rings even when switched off. Seems they didn't tighten it to "nuns nasty" when it left the factory.
    Is there something I can adjust? Or do I send it back with accompanying sad compo face note attached?

11. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I'm prepared to offer half a can of coke and a mars bar for your broken bullsh!t shockwiz and a timber?

I know I'm overspending but clearly you're down on your luck and need help (especially driving round in that hairdresser mobile)

Danimal, Old&InTheWay, ~JB~ and 4 others like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Try duct taping the clapper to the bell wall! :confused: ;)

Yeah, you might have to write to them and ask for a replacement. My Timber occasionally would sing a note on choppy terrain (Like The Luge) even when it was "off" - but not constantly, just occasionally.

I have to admit it was nice riding in silence today. Aliso on a Sunday afternoon is virtually empty anyway.

13. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Jeez man, and here I thought you were destitute because you can't afford Strava premium. :Roflmao

Yeah, sorry but no on the tempting offer. :rolleyes: The way I go through Timberbells, these won't last me long. :laugh:

Lost Kiwi, herzalot and Danimal like this.
  14. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Ya’ll and your Timberbells. I have yet to break one. Why? I rarely turn them on. However, I do use them as needed but don’t let them clang all the time. I didn’t buy silent rear hubs to listen to a BS bell.

Old&InTheWay, Danimal and Obsidian like this.
  15. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I think of timber bells like tires or brake pads, a wear item. They move, so will wear out and need replacing. But then mine has had almost no use for a few months so at this rate figure another few years until it goes kaput.

I'm on my 3rd, 4th, or? I don't know...but a few. And one in a box for parts that won't stay off.

herzalot and Obsidian like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Good news y'all, the redesigned model YEW is out now? All parts replaceable!

"We are now fully in stock and ready to ship. Try out our new Model Yew! bells. Sturdier mounts, smoother shifting and built to last a lifetime!"

$30

According to Chris Lacy:
    "The new Model Yew! is the strongest bell we’ve ever built. And all parts are now completely modular, including the cable and clapper ringer system. If anything wears out or breaks, you can replace it quickly and easily yourself. This is probably the last Timber bell you will ever need to buy."

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    And you don't ride trails that have 62 hikers per mile on them either, I'll bet.

I would rather have a nice run down a local trail with my ice cream bell jingling and come upon hikers calmly standing by the side of the trail saying "thank you" than to come around a corner and startle some grandma and her grandkids who scramble like mad to get out of the way, then seek to eliminate bikes from the trails altogether. :mad:

But I agree - a DH segment with no bell and a quiet bike is a wonderful thing! :inlove:

Sasquatch9billion and Obsidian like this.
  18. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    In the 4 1/2 years I've been up here as a permanent resident I have seen maybe a couple dozen hikers/walkers on the trail with me. They are pretty much the same people every time.
    I wonder if the bell would be good for bears ???

19. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    I know what you mean. I’ve only ridden the Luge a couple of times. One of the trails we came down just as I let go of the brakes 10 or so hikers were balanced on the trail edge. When I turned around to thank the hikers my backpack swiped another hiker. Bells were definitely useful on that ride.

20. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Interesting. I guess they were not lying when they told me they were working on an updated version .... it just took a very long time, LOL.
    Did you get a free replacement?

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  21. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    Bear bell from REI. Going on it’s third decade - granted, only really gets used at Aliso and on Missing Link/Fenceline.
    Elastic isn’t working anymore. Time for a replace.

GUEST_7d9cff37-756b-4350-abcb-6bb67a9dc18b?wid=475&hei=475&qlt=80&fmt=pjpeg.jpg

Redman, herzalot, Rumpled and 3 others like this.
  22. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I've had the same free-bee trail bell from MWBA for several years. I did lose one once on El Prieot, but,
    Most of the reputable bike shops up here in the LA area have free bear-style bells like that. I will say, they work well for hikers. No so much for bears.

herzalot and Obsidian like this.
  23. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Dinner bell for the bears? :laugh:

24. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I use the MWBA bell, i cut the strip with the magnet off because it would flip up over rough terrain, and silence the bell, so it's always on. It's much more subtle and easy on the ears.. but the timber bells benefit is that hikers hear you before you are on top of them.. this one not so much.

Redman, herzalot, -ROCKY- and 2 others like this.
  25. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    That's what I use, anytime I lose one, I just grab another from the LBS. I sew the magnet strip a little bit to keep it from flipping up. I agree, it's not as nice as the timberbell, but, it's free and relatively effective. Plus, the MWBA bell colors are great (Green or black!)

26. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    matches my color theme

img_4451-jpeg.jpg

Old&InTheWay, ~JB~, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    New Timber Bell model Yew ordered. They gave me half price ($15). I'm good with that. They last a year or so. I spend more on chain lube.

Allegedly this new Model Yew is the last Timber Bell I will need to buy. We shall see about that. Place your bets.

Obsidian likes this.
  28. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Your application of chain lube is both wrong and disturbing for those of us who have witnessed it in person. Creepy, even.

Redman, DangerDirtyD and herzalot like this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    You'll be happy to know that I have taken a liking to the Cafe Du Monde or whatever it's called and I'm applying it the night before, then wiping it down the day of the ride. That lasts me about 3-4 of my normal rides, including the mini rivulets on Borrego.

I will never go drop by drop on each roller. I still have enough pride not be a slave to my chain.

Rumpled likes this.
  30. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Gay.

Redman likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?