Trail Bell Stations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bvader, Apr 24, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Great article...

I've seen several of the bell stations popping up. Sometimes they're empty, but it's a nice start... :thumbsup:

I know there is one at the entrance to the Arroyo Vista Trail in O'Neill, and I was once given a bell by the nice lady at the Nix Nature Center. I saw a third station on @buggravy 's death march. :thumbsup:

On a personal note... I loved the concept of the Timber Bell, but I broke too many of the darn things. Three in 6 months... Not worth the $25. :thumbsdown: For the last couple months, I've been using the https://www.mirrycle.com/product/incredibell-trail-bell/ It's survived several trips down the front range, and it's still holding. It's also significantly louder than the Timber Bell...

I rode Ken Burton this morning, which is a trail that doesn't get much traffic. I had the bell going just in case... The hiker coming up from the bottom thanked me for having it on. I complimented his pooch, and we had a nice encounter. Without the bell? Not as pleasant, I'm sure.

3. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I find the bell noise annoying, and would rather just listen to my bike ... but I use one anyway. They make such a difference with most hikers that they are worth it.

I will say that every single time I have encountered a bell box, it has been empty. LOL. I don't know why people take them and then don't use them.

There is a new? bell box at 4 Corners in Whiting Ranch, but it was empty last time I checked.

Mikie, Sidewalk, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  4. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Yep, I am on my third Timberbell. I will look into that incredibell next time. Someone recently told me Timberbell will fix a broken bell cheaper than a new one, but I have not researched and don't know if it is actually true.

Mikie, herzalot, ~JB~ and 3 others like this.
  5. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I saw that story earlier today. I use that bell extensively on trails with blind corners, trails that I know are busy with others and especially in areas where I know equestrians are likely to be present. In the area of Prescott where I live, running across equestrians is a regular occurrence out on the trails near my house. There's two trails where I see more horses and/or hikers than mountain bikers. I've been told "thank you for having a bell" 100+ times in the last 4 months. A couple equestrians told me specifically they like my type of bell because their horse could hear it long before they did.

Up on Mount Wilson, on two occasions, I've had literally come across 100+ hikers on ONE trail on the Darkside that obviously heard my bell before they ever saw me and had moved aside before I rolled up on them. None of that would ever happen with the ever popular Timber Bell. I ride with a several people with a Timber Bell and it's great IF you can see the people/hikers/other bikers before you get to them but it's worthless on blind corners because the reality is nobody turns them "on" until they see somebody.

Mikie, ~JB~, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I did the warranty process... once. It was $5, but the bell they sent me lasted all of a week. I put them on the list with Crank Brothers...

redwoods, Mikie, Sidewalk and 6 others like this.
  7. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    How quiet is the icredibell trail when off?

My experience is if the bell uses a magnet to keep the clapper from moving, it still rattles when off.

I am on my 3rd timber bell also. the sound it makes is more pleasant than other bells I've heard that's for sure.

Mikie, mtnbikej, Obsidian and 2 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It's off... The mechanical lever underneath the bell holds it pretty snugly- with only two positions. The lever is contoured and cradles the bell in the off position. I've bumped it on a few times by accident, but that's usually when I'm standing on the single speed.

You might not like the sound... It's not as pleasant as the Timber Bell. It's loud... Sort of like a "jingle bell" on steroids. Perfect for the San Gabes with all the blind corners and techy sections.

Mikie, Danmtchl, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  9. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I have my Timberbell mounted at about a 45 degree angle on my bars. It could all be in my head, but it seems like it makes it quite a bit louder than letting it hang straight down.

Mikie, Danmtchl, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'd try that if I still had one that worked. :Roflmao

Mikie, Danmtchl and Obsidian like this.
  11. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    You mean take them and then don't put them back. And also, why they don't get replenished if the boxes are always empty.

I just had my second or 3rd timber bell break as well. The on/off lever was suddenly not there anymore when I went to use it last week. I'll look into the incredibell as well.

Mikie, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    They replaced my third one for free. Just gotta ask and do a combination of compliment, bitch and grovel.

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Well that's pointless. Might as well just have a lever-actuated bell then. I turn mine on for any descent on a trail that is even remotely likely to have uphill traffic or hikers. It works every time. People are pleasant and out of the way, not diving for cover. The sound is annoying and I would much rather listen to the silence of my wonderful bike, but not where I ride, when I ride. Nothing does more good for our relationships with hikers than an awareness bell.

redwoods, Mikie, jwag and 6 others like this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Agreed... Mine is pretty much always on going downhill. Ken Burton sees a tiny fraction of the traffic that El Prieto sees, but I still had it on the other day. The hiker with the dog off leash was extremely grateful when I came around the blind corner! Pretty sure the dog was, too...

Mikie, herzalot, bvader and 1 other person like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I withdraw my recommendation for the Incredibell. :thumbsdown: Although the bell still functions, the little arm broke off coming down Middle Merrill today. It now has a strap to keep it from ringing. :thumbsdown:

It did last longer than any of my Timber Bells, so there is that...

Maybe it's the Moxie... She is also the only bike that has bounced my GPS out of the mount. Thankfully it was tethered. :D

Mikie, ~JB~, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    WTH do you people do to your bells?

I think I finally replaced a 6 year old Incredibell late last year. It functioned just fine, albeit the spring was stretched so it would kinda ring on it’s own on really rough descents. The paint was well worn.

I used to run the Bear Bells, but I found that once the marble got pitted, the bell lost its volume. Never had one fall off during a ride.

Mikie, Faust29, bvader and 4 others like this.
  17. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    The one thing J can't break?

Mikie, Faust29, Danimal and 3 others like this.
  18. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I always thought it was because it rusted inside

Mikie, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  19. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    We do not spend 90% of our riding time on fire roads. :Roflmao

UPSed, redwoods, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Yeah, but you have those squishy bits out back to smooth out Mathis. :whistling:

think its time for you to join for a Maple/MW Loop. Not all fire roads are created equal.

Mikie, Redman, Obsidian and 3 others like this.
  21. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I'm not going to deny it, I've got a pile of bells from various locations around Southern and Central California. I either forgot to put the loaner bell back in the box at the end of a route or I didn't see a place to return it.

It's like a souvenir collection, but by accident.

22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    For the record, one of my Timber Bells fell apart on a fire road... :Roflmao The repeated small washboards on Main Divide are worse than big hits- on the bike and the body.

The Incredibell Trail still works, but I'm using one of my tie down straps to keep it closed. Not exactly convenient.

23. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I have an Awareness Bell and it seems well made, but it's too loud. The other kinds I have I can kind of tune out, but the AB is front a center for me. Therefore it sits in the bin most of the time :(

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That is what I probably need to get... Simple, sturdy and loud. And what would be more fitting for a steel bike than a steel bell? :D

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  25. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    They work as advertised! But be prepared: Loud!

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  26. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I put some tape on the inside of my Timber bell to quiet it down a bit. Worked pretty well.

Mikie, Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  27. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Mikie, Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  28. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I'll be honest, I can't stand bells. It drives me nuts and I won't put one on my bike. But usually if I am descending the noises I am making are far louder than any bell (I mean the bike smashing through rocks and such). If I am riding in a place where I need to be cautious of traffic, I just ride with caution. On the rare occasion someone isn't aware that I am around it is very clear that they have NO idea what is going on around them (either talking very loudly or headphones) so the bell won't do any good. Example: I have not had a negative run in on Exploration Trail yet; either I see them coming plenty before I reach them (what usually happens) or they hear me.

Even when I am out running I can usually hear people coming on bikes without a bell, and when I do hear one it drives me nuts. Nearly on par as listening to music out loud.

29. ~JB~

~JB~ Member

Name:
    Juan B Garcia
    Current Bike:
    2019 RFX
    You are correct the Awareness Bell is a little too loud. The pitch was high and long run causing my left ear to rattle so I did the same thing evdog did. Duck taped on the inside to bring it down a bit and shorten the ring. I'm the only bell at the Nursery/Grear.. Heard "Love your Ice Cream bell" this weekend.

Mikie, Faust29, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  30. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I didn't want to jinx my own Timber bell... The lever has long worked itself loose and won't stay in the off position. No prob, I wrapped a band on it to keep it somewhat tensioned and that has worked fine, for a while. Then yesterday it magically found the off position for good... the dinger broke off the cable.

Mikie, Faust29, Obsidian and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?