Tracer 275c Pro Review

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by herzalot, Oct 15, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I was hoping yours would be the exception... I have an almost new rear 3.30 Type 2 that I'll probably never use again. I know it will fail some day, so I'd rather not take the chance. :thumbsdown:

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Friends don't let friends run Stan's hubs.

Time to invest in a DT 350......no reason to spend the extra $200 for the 240.

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I would return it to Stans.....make them replace it, whether you ever use it or not....just on principle alone.

I agree that they know it is a weak hub/design yet they keep rolling them out there.

4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Mine blew up within a few rides and they warrantied it with a Neo Ultimate hub. Of course I replaced the wheelset with another one and hung up the other for a back-up.

5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Define "normal use"?

6. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Neither. Sell your Tracer and buy the uber bling Tracer from Laguna Cyclery. You're welcome.

MolarM, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Hmmmm...

"Honey, I needed a new rear hub, so I bought one. It was pretty expensive, but came with a bunch of extra parts attached!"

MolarM, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 9 others like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    You saw me ride. At least for the short time you could tolerate being behind me.

I ride once to twice per week. I do like fast rock gardens, but my DT Swiss 240s held up for over 8 years without a problem, and I was younger and riding more often then. STANS should be forced to withdraw their products from the market and buy everyone with a failed Stans hub a suitable replacement from a reputable company. Their rims are good. Their hubs are unacceptable crap!

9. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Light doesn't have to mean weak. I had some Mavic Helium road wheels that I bought used from a friend. Then I proceeded to abuse them (for years). Got a new bike with a Campy wheel set (yum!) and put the Heliums on my cross bike. They continued to perform.

I think I'd cut to the chase and just get the DT Swiss hub. Rebuild the wheel and move on. Life's too short to be aggravated by poor craftsmanship.

10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Sounds like you have this all figured out!

11. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    @herzalot, I would have the wheel with the failing hub rebuilt (or rebuild it yourself) with a DT 350 hub. IMO, still the best bang for the buck even after all the years they have been around. Problem solved. No more broken hub (again). No more warranty claim. I've got friends who torture their bikes on AZ terrain and the 350s never failed them. I had 240s at one time and they were fantastic.

You're a big guy, probably strong a heck. Maybe Stan's hubs should be limited to little guys like me because other than a seized bearing or two, I haven't had any serious issues the three Stan's wheel sets that I own. My one complaint is the slow engagement. I heard that Neo hubs had increased in engagement, though.

I guess my riding style does not fit under the"normal use" category, lol.

kioti, herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    We went in for an oil change on our first Touareg. I knew I was in trouble when my wife walked away from the counter and out the door to "just take a peek" at the new ones.

I cancelled the oil change... :p

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    LBCTracer.JPG Here's my loaner for the weekend.

And @StrandLeper came through with the offer to use his Bronson's rear wheel as a loaner, in case the above option falls through.

Thanks Strand!

UPSed, mtnbikej, MolarM and 5 others like this.
  14. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Holy smoke!

mtnbikej and herzalot like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yeah tell me about it. How can you even look at a bike with yellow wheel decals with so much orange. Hideous!

(I'll let you know how it rides) :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky: :whistling::whistling::whistling:

16. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    All right, Congrats in advance on the new wheels!!!
    (and-Enve's got replacement wheel decals in orange should your heart desire to change them)

herzalot likes this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That ain't my bike, and it won't be. But I can't resist the offer to toodle around on it this weekend on my local trails! :thumbsup:

See previous threads about developing a relationship with a local shop. I believe it's (boutique vs major).

MolarM, Cyclotourist and DangerDirtyD like this.
  18. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    I know, I know, have fun with it- but Tani gave me a high-end rig for a weekend a while back, and that was all it took. Too hard to go back. I put in my order when I returned it. I'm in full agreement on developing rapport with your local shop. These relationships have been invaluable to me

herzalot likes this.