Tracer 275c Pro Review

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by herzalot, Oct 15, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mauritius de Klerk

Mauritius de Klerk Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Mau
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275 C
    Mmmm, funny story, but yes. ...in some conversations its a good thing in other not so good...Hahaha...

herzalot likes this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I imagine! C'mon over to chat with my high school students! They could use to know some RSA history, and I would personally love the conversation! We have some great trails here too. :thumbsup:

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  3. Mauritius de Klerk

Name:
    Mau
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275 C
    Almost done...just Crank, dropper and gears to tune...Will give the Jade a test tomorrow night before I swop to air shox.

IMG-20170105-WA0007.jpeg

RS VR6, PATKOUG, kioti and 1 other person like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Update from my July 5 update:...

I am now running a DVO Topaz shock on my Tracer 275c DVO edition. My Cane Creek Inline was due for service, so I sent it in, and I was going to put the Jade back on, but I called DVO and asked if I could give them back their Jade and get a Topaz for a reasonable fee. They declined at first, but after some nudging by another IMTBer (thanks @UPSed), they eagerly agreed to sell me a Topaz for a great price and take back the Jade.

The Topaz is the right shock for this bike, in my opinion. It wasn't in production when they worked with Intense for the DVO edition, or I am sure it would have been spec'd on the bike instead of the Jade. I have 7 good rides on the Topaz now. It's as plush as the Cane Creek Inline, but the three-position switch offers better support for climbing while keeping the rear active. So far, I have only put one volume-reducer band on the negative side of the shock (a simple procedure that does not require the shock to be removed). The relationship between sag, ramp up and bottom out seems about right.

DVO also went through my Diamond fork and customized it for me. I haven't tried it yet, because I only wanted to try one change at a time. My Marzocchi is so dialed, I am reluctant to take it off! That and the green fork is so matchy-match that it attracts too much attention (I am only partially joking about this).

TracerTopazMarz.jpeg

I am disappointed to learn that Intense is going bigger with the new Tracer. They will leave a void in their lineup that will lose even more sales to the 150mm travel Bronson - which seems to be the sweet spot for riders like me who like a plush AND sporty bike. The 145mm option on this generation Tracer is a nice feature as well. The new Recluse is not the Tracer (snappier, but not as stable or plush), and the new Tracer sounds like it will rival the Santa Cruz Nomad, leaving a hole in their lineup.

Other Details:
    The Stans HD 3.30 rear hub failed after 5 months, so STANS rebuilt the rear with a Neo hub. The Neos have a bad reputation, but it's working well so far. Shimano warrantied the XT brakes. The replacements are working perfectly.

I can see me loving this Tracer for quite a while. I am very happy with the fit and performance of this bike. Suspension tuning is CRITICAL to the performance of this bike, and tire pressure matters too (as it does for all bikes). Suspension pivots/bearing/bushings have remained noise free, as has the press-fit BB. The suspension bolts have occasionally worked loose. Check them often, and/or lock-tite them.

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Might want to shorten that front brake hose too, Mau! :thumbsup:

Cornholio likes this.
  6. Mauritius de Klerk

Name:
    Mau
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275 C
    Completed the build on Friday, had a great test run yesterday. Still need to fit the Reverb. Jade performed with no issues,only problem is that if I disconnect thr air pump the valve looses 30psi...tried 3 different pumps just to make sure...so not good. Besides that, amazing ride, very fast very nippy and responsive. One thing that worries me is that the headset I fitted has got a rather large cup...see the pic...Its a cheaper KCNC headset...All the dealers only open tomorrow...is this normal as I feel the frame angle feels rather steep.
    Will shorten the front brake-hose also good point. The Saints brake works amazing on this bike...please comment on any other things you see that could be possibly wrong. Cheers

20170106_181612.jpg

20170106_181605.jpg

IMG-20170107-WA0005.jpeg

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That bottom headset piece didn't not look right at all to me. Looks more like a spacer. Then I went and snapped a photo of mine. Not too different, actually.

TracerHeadsetCup.JPG

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Mikie and littlewave like this.
  9. Razman

Razman Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Razman Razali
    Hello again! Been a while since i've been on here.

I hide my wallet every time i visit my LBS @herzalot but the damn thing keeps jumping out my pockets every time i'm gawking at the new tracer!

Have you ridden it? Seen any on the trails?? What are the feedback like???

*frantically looking for excuses to not entertain this urge to hand my credit card over*

herzalot, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @Razman No I have not ridden one nor have I seen any on the trails. I think they may have gone overboard on this bike for most riders. They missed the Bronson market - the guys like me who like a lot of travel (150-160), but also want a bike that climbs reasonably well. They went to the Enduro racer with this new Tracer - from the reviews and the spec sheet, it sounds like it's for someone who slays technical downhills at high speeds, then doesn't mind the sluggish climbing performance to get back to the next run. The Recluse seems to have gone the other direction - a great climbing mid-wheeled bike with snappy DH manners, but not a stable plow that begs for high-speed chunk.

At this moment, I am very happy with my current Tracer and don't yearn for either of the new Intense models that are targeted to my riding preferences.

11. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Yeah well the mechanic brah at the Intense demo I went to a couple weekends ago swears the new Tracer climbs better than the old one. So you must be wrong!

herzalot, Mikie, Razman and 3 others like this.
  12. Beazy

Beazy Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275c 2016
    Hey guys, I'm going to dig up this old thread because things on the internet never die.

Have any of you experimented with going from 32 T chainring to 34 T? I stuck a 34 T on my 2016 Tracer 275C and had probably the best ride I've had on this bike. On the first ride, I PR'd like half the Strava segments on my route (some uphill, some down). Based on horsepower, I didn't *need* at 34 T ring, but it looked like it had better AS characteristics on the Linkage model - and it definitely feels much better in technical sections.

Am I the last guy to the party on this one? Has anyone else tried a back-to-back and noticed a huge change? I've mucked around with different shocks and the fork tune, but the chainring swap seems like it has a bigger impact.

13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I've been running a 34t on my XTC for the past two years. I don't know what a 32t is like...

34 is the only way to fly on a 1x.

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Cool - but I am not manly enough to push a 34. I am sure the kinematics are better (whatever that means), but not better enough to counteract my weak-ass legs and lungs.

15. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have been running a 34 T for a few years now and not to long ago I tried a 32 T and it was too spinny for my taste. I am probably not the strongest rider out there, but it seems to me that more people would ride 34's. I see people ride 30's and even 28's and I know they are way better riders than I.

Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My Tracer came with a 32. Two runs up Cholla and two up Mathis when I was in pretty decent shape told me that I need a 30. I would probably stop riding if I had a 34, because I would have to push up the climbs I do regularly. Some good people on this site cannot relate to this concept and would argue that if I kept the 34 on there longer, I would just get stronger and faster. To them I say, you have no idea what I experience when I ride, and I will not become a faster and stronger rider by walking my bike up hills, or by quitting mtb-ing altogether.

My 30 is only too "spinny" beyond about 20 mph, and if that's my speed, I am descending. As long as I am not racing, I can stop pedaling and enjoy the proper side of gravity's pull.

I still concede that a 34 probably helps the Tracer's kinematics related to suspension movement, anti-squat, chain growth and all that stuff that only @Varaxis truly understands.

17. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    What are you guys running on your cassettes?? That's the other half of the equation that nobody mentioned unless you all know already

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    22t cog. :sneaky:

However, on the geared bike with 12-36 10 spd. I run a 32t ring. I could most likely get away with a 34t, but I built it up when a I was a weaker girlyman. :laugh:

I will say that with today's modern 11/12 speed mega range cassettes, watching people spin 26 & 28t rings make my knees hurt just looking at them. :sick:

19. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Follow me up the steeper parts of Oak/Bs and I will be in my 28/42 gear spinning in what will look like slow motion! In the less steep parts I just cruise in a different gear. Part of why I want to convert my HT to SS though.

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Riding a SS will cure you of that for sure. :thumbsup:

Runs with Scissors and Faust29 like this.
  21. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    The only good reason to use a smallish chainring is clearance.
    When I upgrade my bikes to Eagle cassettes I paired them with 34t.
    (The only exception is my Why S7 - came with 32t. Eventually, it will become my SS bike)

Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.
  22. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I run a 10-42 cassette 11 speed and ran 11-36 when I had a 10 speed. Its just what i am used to using. I can understand clesrance issues but these companies should design theses bikes to fit at least a 36t especially with an Eagle drivetrain.

23. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Anyone still rolling on a 3x9 MTB?
    IMG_1597.JPG
    This guy...

24. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    My daughter has a 3 x 8 on her Cannondale.

25. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Blasphemy! Pics or it doesnt exist.

Runs with Scissors and Danmtchl like this.
  26. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I will get it to you when I get home

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Who is that mystery guy? :eek::rolleyes::cautious:

Danmtchl and Runs with Scissors like this.
  28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Get that chain tensioner... You'll be surprised what gear you can turn.

29. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I had an 11-36 for almost two years with my 34t up front. Just recently I conceded that it was not the optimal setup. So I switched over to an 11-42 in the back. Haven't yet taken it where it would be a noticeable difference. I must remedy that. ;)

Danmtchl likes this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    And, as forecast, the axle on the Stans Neo broke, just like the people on MTBR and Pinkbike prophesied! :mad:

So do I return it to Stans and have them replace it with another horrible hub, or do I spend $400 for a proper hub? Hint: I ain't spending $400 on a hub.

It should be against the law to sell a product you know will fail quickly under normal use.