Tracer 275c Pro Review

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by herzalot, Oct 15, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Santa Cruz T275C?

Danmtchl likes this.
  2. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    I'm really enjoying the Bronson. Both bikes are great but I find the Bronson to climb better and find it to be much more spunky when you want to get rowdy. It wants to pop of every lip and rewards someone that's going to push it around. The T275 is great as well I wouldn't shy away from getting one at all especially if the price is right. One big thing that pushed me to get the SC over a new intense was the threaded bottom bracket. It might be a small thing to some but I do all my own maintenance and upkeep and it makes a big difference.

Danmtchl, herzalot, Razman and 2 others like this.
  3. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Must have been brain farting, it is a Intense T275c factory

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  4. Razman

Razman Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Razman Razali
    After much deliberation, gawking at my iPad screen researching as much as I possibly can I've decided to pull the trigger on the new Bronson over the T275C

Updated VPP tweaks and availability swung me towards the Santa Cruz. Just wished there were more colour options as the pink frame is too much for me to live with while the blacked out version is just a bit flat aesthetically. Maybe I'll call it Vader.

Building up the bike now while waiting for the Fox 36 160mm fork to arrive. Scratching my head now on wheel sets though. To carbon or not to carbon.. follow the trend re wide rims or stick to what I'm used to.. the struggle continues!

Will post once bike is done. Apologies if this shouldn't be on this thread since it's titled around the T275C but thanks to all that chimed in with their opinions/feedback to help me decide.

image.jpeg

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Congrats @Razman . All things being equal, I may have made the same choice. But all things were not equal. Enjoy it. I hear you about their color options - Magenta or Black. Hmmm. good call. You can always ask them for a different set of decals in the future, or have your own made, if you want a splash of color (or as you might say, colour).

Looking forward to hearing about your first few rides. You'll have to start a new thread, however!

Best wishes for a long love affair. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Mikie and Razman like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Update:
    In my last post, I talked about changing the Jade for the Cane Creek Inline.
    See here: http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/tracer-275c-pro-review.3191/page-3#post-46230

Update. I moved the Cane Creek into the 160mm position yesterday and took it to my favorite testing grounds. It was super smooth on stutter bumps, trail chatter and repetitive holes. It was great, BUT, I think the extra leverage and travel calls for a volume reduction spacer. So, last night I installed one large volume reducer (it took about three minutes, and no tools, and the shock stayed on the bike). I expected to be able to reach sag with less air pressure, but it took the same amount.

About sag - I discovered that sag is critical to VPP suspension, or at least the Tracer version of it. Too much sag, and you blow through the travel too quickly and it wallows a bit. Too little sag, and the rear end starts skipping around on trail chatter and repetitive hits, and it doesn't climb tech as well. Last night after installing the spacer I made an extra effort to get the sag just right - 17mm - 30%. Sag is hard to set and measure on your own. I did it over and over again until I was convinced I nailed it. Turns out I needed 200 psi to get it just right. I weigh 207, unkitted.

Today, the bike was stellar. Best ride on it yet. It was doing everything right - climbing, rolling terrain and flats, descending, standing, sitting, climb switch on, climb switch off - it was smile inducing. It ramped up perfectly and my 3-foot hucks to flat and g-outs stopped about 3mm short of bottoming out. I put down some seriously fast descents on my usual test tracks, but perhaps equally important was the bike's manners on rolling terrain, and gentle climbs. I felt like I had one of those illegal electric motors in the bottom bracket! I definitely hit the sweet spot of the suspension, and matched the intention of the VPP as executed on this frame. I could not stop smiling, and I actually giggled out loud a few times. THIS is what I was hoping for when I bought this bike.

Now, let's just hope the CC Inline doesn't blow up, like so many have.

On to the next experiment, now that the rear of the bike is dialed (and the DVO Diamond fork is doing great too). I want to swap the Diamond with my Marzocchi 350 NCR to see what differences I notice between the forks. I suspect the Marzocchi handles the fast stuff better, but the DVO stays in the mid stroke better (which comes in handy on steep, slow, techy gnar). The Zoke is about 1/2 pound lighter. We shall see.

7. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark

This reinforces the importance of SAG setting with VPP.. Cool to see your real world experience!!

8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Happy (belated) New Bike Day!

9. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    You will love that Float X! I put one on my Tallboy LTc... the 2016 Fox stuff kills! :thumbsup:
    I also jumped from a 140 to 150 Fox 36... and the Tallboy is better now. The slacker, stiffer front end makes the bike more sure footed and I haven't noticed any degradation in climbing ability. You can also run the longer shock a little more plush... so that's a benefit.

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Now boys, let's not turn this into a suspension thread... Or a Santa Cruz thread. :stop: o_O (plus waving smiley)

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  11. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Did you say Santa Cruz thread??????? :thumbsup:
    SC nomad.JPG

Fueledbyex8, herzalot, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Grrrrrrrrr....:mad:

Nice bike, thread poacher!;)

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  13. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Herz, If a thread doesn't take a tangent, derail or end up in the toilet I'd wonder if the apocalypse had happened..or i'd been transported to an alternate universe. Both of which would be acceptable reasons.
    Embrace it!

14. Razman

Razman Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Razman Razali
    Haha sorry but last Santa Cruz based post from me on this thread. After delays waiting for specific parts etc finally had my 1st ride on the Bronson today.

Had to share it here since some of you guys on this forum helped me decide on my new ride. Funny that..how opinions/input from faceless "strangers" on the other side of the planet swayed me more than those from buddies in my hood. Thanks for that!

But here's a pic of the bad boy. I'm still grinning like a maniac from the ride this morning. Shocks not 100% dialed in yet so there's room for that grin to grow!

image.jpeg

Fueledbyex8, Danimal, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Sweet ride - and loving hearing about huge grins! i like the look of the Renthal bars on there. Matches the seat post stanchions, while the two kashima coated dampers balance the lower half. Splash of red on the hubs to spice it up a bit. Is that a Renthal chainring I spy? The whole package is looks great! Should I mention that I noticed you were very careful about lining up the Schwalbe lettering with your rim lettering - on both wheels? And I hear the Magic Marys are fantastic - giving the venerable 12 year old Minion DHf's a run for the title of best front tire.

Enjoy many miles of smiles. Maybe we will all join you for a group ride!

And now - start a Santa Cruz thread!

Mikie and Razman like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Update. I bought my Tracer in mid February. I now have over 30 rides on this beast (with no rides in April). On my first ride with my Marzocchi 350 installed on the Tracer, I busted my hand (April 2). I recovered from surgery in a month and was back at it. I've ridden 20 times since then - all with the Marzocchi 350 and the Cane Creek Inline in the 160mm position. For the record, I took the Marz 350 and the Cane Creek from my previous bike (Knolly Endorphin 26) which I sold with my Avy Fox CTD shock and X-Fusion Slant fork.

It wasn't love at first ride. I was initially quite puzzled about the lack of plushness in the rear end - especially since it came with a coil shock. I never got the DVO Jade to perform right for me. The DVO Diamond fork was very good, however. I still have both.

But now, this bike is just plain dialed and I am loving it. I even did Snow Summit laps on it and found the Marzocchi 350 to be the best fork I've ridden at SS (compared to Boxxer WC Air, Fox 40 coil, Fox 36 coil, X-Fusion Slant and Marzocchi 55 Microswitch TA). But this isn't a fork thread. The bike was stable and fun at Snow Summit and the rear was far more supple than I expected. It handled the braking bumps just fine. It was not twitchy - it was well mannered. I would say it was also great in the air - but I don't jump much. I didn't crash - so that's a plus.

The Tracer 275c just plain works for me. Up is easy, down is a blast. Lateral stiffness is great. The pivots, bushings, headset and dreaded press-fit BB are all still quiet as a church mouse. Of course, I have now just jinxed it, and on my next ride, things will creak and crack :confused:. The Tracer 275c with the proper suspension and tire setup is both nimble and stable.

Beyond the suspension, other modifications include a RaceFace Turbine Crankset and Bottom Bracket with a 30t chainring and 175mm cranks. This wasn't a need - it was something I had already purchased. I was surprised that the stock SRAM cranks were 170mm on an XL frame. I also recently added a Gamut chainguide mounted to the front derailleur mount. A little extra insurance when whipping through chattery terrain in the smallest gear. It only added about 45 grams or less.

I changed the stock High Roller IIs for my beloved Minions - DHR II in back (2.3, Exo, TR, dual), DHF 2.3 in front (Exo, TR, 3c) - tubeless. Running about 24 psi in rear and 22 in front. I have a 780 mm Syntace Carbon bar and a 70mm +6° Syntace stem. Bombproof!

The Stans Flow EX rims and hubs are still perfect. The KS LEV Integra is also still working perfectly. Knock on wood.

I'm still having a little trouble with the XT brakes - the levers firm up on choppy terrain, and when they do, they lose power. Either it's not as bad as it was, or I am getting used to it. I still think I need to send 'em back to Shimano.

The SRAM rear derailleur loosened up on the mount a few times, and I had to Lock-Tite the mounting screw. I also had to do that with one of the suspension bolts in the upper linkage (left side). It was loose a couple of times, so Lock-Tite to the rescue. It's a good idea with all full sus bikes to check pivot bolts frequently.

I understand there are three new Intense models in the works. I was looking forward to a modernized Tracer 275c, and it is coming, but it looks like it will be a longer travel version, which blurs the line between it and the Uzzi. I am not sure that's the direction the market wants. They will likely backfill with a new model between the Spider 275 and current Tracer, perhaps in the 140 range. That leaves the 150 and 160 spots empty. Santa Cruz will love that. The current 145/160 Tracer is the perfect travel configurations for my needs and wants.

For those who did not read the full thread, or who do not know me or my riding preferences, here goes. I am 6'4" tall, 210 lbs. I climb for the descents. I love semi-chunky to chunky descents, but I like speed even more. Fast and chunky, with drops and flow thrown in. Most of my rides are around 16 miles and 2400' of steep climbing, with three to four fun descents. Aliso and Wood Canyon is my home stomping grounds, with frequent forays into Laguna Coast Wilderness Park/El Moro, Santiago Oaks, Whiting, Santiago Truck Trail, The Luge, Snow Summit/Big Bear, San Juan trail, etc.

Here's the current iteration:

CraigandMeFF-SS.JPG

PATKOUG, Fueledbyex8, RS VR6 and 10 others like this.
  17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    So it has made you forget all about the Knolly?

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  18. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    I never had a issues with my press fit BB on the 2012 Trance and put many miles on it. Although I don't ride it much anymore, it's still going strong and silent. As far as rear derailleurs, both my XO1 and Vince's GX would come loose as yours did. Blue Locktite FTW

Looks good!

Mikie, Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I am a better all-around rider on the Intense than on my Knolly Endorphin.

Like I said in the "Pure Stoke and Amazing Riding" thread, I still have an affection for Knolly - particularly their downhill manners. They also climb chunk like no other. I also love the company - they know their niche and they do a great job of promoting that BC vibe. They build bikes that are strong and durable and make no attempt at hitting all aspects of bike market or even the mtb market. Unfortunately, I think there is something in the kinematics that makes the design sluggish while climbing, but not because of suspension movement - more like the chain fighting the chainstays. I would still like to try the carbon Warden (which they still do not make in an XL), but the effective seat tube angle would have to be considerably steeper than it was on my Endorphin.

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Mikie likes this.
  21. Beazy

Beazy Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275c 2016
    Very cool thread, herzalot, and very helpful for someone looking to set up an Intense Tracer 275c. Like you said, right out of the box, this bike is ok, but after a bit of tuning love, I've transformed it into a monster. I'm fully stock on the pro build, and I think I'll be just fine for a few years - even though Intense released a new crop of bikes. Here is what the ride looks like (actually, it's currently covered in dirt, but you get the idea).

It took some time to get my rear suspension dialed, but I think I'm pretty close:
    145 mm travel mode (not how much travel you have, it's how you use it)
    25%-28% sag
    Rebound 12-15 clicks from closed (that's basically fully open)
    Mid compression setting all the time

I weigh 190 more or less when geared up.

This works pretty well for here in Central Texas where the menu consists of rocks, rocks, and more rocks. There are steep, techy climbs, but they are short lived, followed by short-lived, stair-stepped downhills. Add more rocks, and repeat. Here, you need a balanced bike moreso than riding something like the trails around Laguna Hills because flipping switches every 5 minutes gets old.

Smooth steps up feel A+ on this bike, but I kept getting knocked offline by the loose tennis ball type rocks; going lighter on the air can pressure and faster on rebound seems to have resolved that. Climbing on a VPP is way different than my 2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude, but I like it better and am getting used to it.

PATKOUG, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  22. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey Dan! Sweet bike brothah! That's a clean ride and I'm not talking the opposite of dirty. ;)
    Thanks for joining up with us here on imtbtrails...welcome!
    I often wondered what you guys ride out in Texas.
    Sincerely hoping you could post a couple of pics or throw out a ride report ever once in a while to share your terrain.

You get the chance, come visit us in So Cal. We do indeed have some amazing trails out here.
    Hope you stick around!

Mikie

23. Beazy

Beazy Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275c 2016
    Thanks! What we have in Central Texas is nothing like in SoCal (moving out there within the year, so I had to scope out some trails); however, there are two really good ones here in Austin:
    Emma Long Motocross Park
    Reveille Peak Ranch

I can definitely do a trail report at the risk of making my stomping grounds more crowded. Here is something that I had on hand, since you asked.
    If there is one pic to capture Texas riding, it's this, lots of 2-4 ft ledges (going up or down), and lots of rocks in the leadup & runout. You can see that my old Revelation fork is a bit overmatched:
    ?temp_hash=c50a369648b8ee2c0277b7ab1ce61090.png

Now, if you want a proper preview, you can check out these guys for one of the really cool enduro races in the area at Reveille Peak Ranch. Disclaimer, this is not me riding, but I look at least this cool when I dream about mountain biking.

2016-09-01_1336.png

PATKOUG, Cornholio, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  24. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @Beazy
    Oh my! That chunk is my kinda monkey! I don't want to derail Herz post but thanks for that!

Cornholio, herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    The trails in that video look like a ton of fun. Thanks @Beazy for posting!

Mikie and Cornholio like this.
  26. Mauritius de Klerk

Mauritius de Klerk Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Mau
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275 C
    I replied on the wrong thread earlier...oeps....Howzit just joined...

I will start to build-up a new Tracer 275C DVO edition this week.(Bought the frame only)...and by the sound of things most guys are swopping out the DVO Jade? I have a Monarch RTC3 Plus that I can fit. I was thinking of testing both and see what feels the best, besides the obvious weight difference. Is the Jade given problems and will you recommend that it go with the RS monarch from the start?
    Also, I have a 170mm Lyrik that I want to fit...do you see any problem with that. I don't think the 10mm will make such a big difference or put extra force on the frame.

27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    How funny. I responded on the other thread. Welcome! I will transfer my answer...

Here it is:
    I bought my DVO edition because I got an awesome price on the full bike. I've had great success with coil shocks on my DH bikes, but had never had one on my all-purpose bike. I could not get the Jade to behave the way I wanted it to behave climbing, so I ended up tuning it wrong for descending. I had a Cane Creek Inline that fit, so I quickly swapped that out and was very satisfied both climbing and descending, plus dropping a pound of weight. I now have a DVO Topaz and it is a GREAT fit for the Tracer. I think your Monarch would be a much better starting point than the Jade. If you can get your hands on a Topaz for a reasonable price, you can keep that DVO look and have a great shock.

The 170mm Lyric would be superb on the front. Slacking it out 1/2 degree won't hurt, and I highly doubt it would over stress the headtube area. I don't think the Tracer suffers from a weak layup. Just don't use more than 30mm of spacers under your stem - that puts too much pressure on the steer tube of the fork, irrespective of the frame.

Hope that helps - and welcome to IMTBTrails!

PATKOUG likes this.
  28. Mauritius de Klerk

Mauritius de Klerk Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Mau
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275 C
    Cool thank, will continue on this thread....Thanks again

herzalot likes this.
  29. Beazy

Beazy Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275c 2016
    Hey guys, figured I'd weigh in with my experience on the the Tracer (with the Monarch RC3 Plus). For a while, I rode the stock Monarch RC3 Plus, and it was way better than what I was on before - HOWEVER - after changing the rear shock, I won't ever go back.

I switched from the Monarch RC3 HV Plus (M/M) to Monarch RC3 Plus Debonair (L/M) and found the following two changes significantly improved my rides - I did not expect there to be any difference between the two shocks:
    • Debonair negative air chamber made the shock more active
    • Low compression tune gives me way, way more traction both up & down
    These changes are a personal thing, but for a rider that weighs 190 geared up, I wouldn't go back to the stock Monarch. With these shocks, it's a little tough to find the right balance, it's easy to get in the "trapdoor" where you blow through the mid travel like it's nothing, but the right amount of bands has fixed this for me. Also, as I have the bike in the 145 mm travel setting, the Low compression shock is more appropriate for me.

I run 23-25% sag and stick four bands in the shock. These give me the right mix on the Texas trails that aren't as flat as you'd think but still require up/down balance.

herzalot likes this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Are you directly related to that other famous de Klerk from RSA?