Tracer 275c Pro Review

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by herzalot, Oct 15, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    It sounds like riding with J will be like "Hi, Herz, I'm Jason." "Hey J, I'm Chris - damn glad to meet you finally..." And that would be it. Last time we see each other unless he comes 'round to Wahoos after taking a detour up Joplin, down Trabuco, up Holy Jim, down Joplin and then back to The Luge. Come to think of it - we would probably be at the Luge flag about the same time!

Faust29, Cyclotourist, Cougar and 2 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Not gonna make it. :thumbsdown:

Mikie likes this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    OK, back to the bike. What did I learn today that I didn't know yesterday?

Well, I learned pretty quickly that, although it's faster than my bike, I still got dropped within 20 minutes of starting our ride. I was 100 yards behind the group "up" Borrego. Disappointing. I just can't get myself to start that fast. I was hoping the bike would magically transform me to at least an equal. Nope - I was pedaling hard, but I was the sag wagon behind Craig, Ed, Jeff and Dan. Thank deity, because otherwise, I might have to start looking for some cash.

The bike is a blast. It does pedal well, and it descends well too. It's a lot of fun. I would need to do some minor cockpit changes, but other than that, it fits really well. My back hurt less on this bike than it does on my Knolly, even though I was forced to push a tougher gear. Suspension and tire pressure were spot on (well, after Cougar pointed out that my rear tire was flat as we began our ride. A quick return to the car and my floor pump and all was well).

The Tracer 275 c is a great bike. Perhaps the best I've ridden, But is it better than a Yeti SB6c? That's what I really want to know. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), no one is offering me a Yeti at 40% off retail. And then there's Canyon, Transition, Mondraker, DeVinci and a shipload of other cool brands that make bikes in this category.

Oh and what about my love affair with Knolly? I intended to wait until they have their carbon Warden in production and available. That's not likely to be until the end of next summer, and I am not getting any younger. The current aluminum Warden is not for me. I suppose I could ride the new Endorphin 27.5 (aluminum) if I am jonesin' for a 27.5. The thing about Knolly compared to Intense, Santa Cruz and others is that they don't f*** around with bearings and bushings. Knolly stuff is top quality, tight, long lasting and doesn't creak. They are also doing a threaded BB for the carbon Warden. That's a big deal.

Luckily, I will be too busy and too broke to really worry much about it. In the meantime, I had a great time demo-ing one of the top bikes available. Now I am that much closer to the same legendary status as Brian Lopes, Chris Kovarik and Shaun Palmer.

4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    After being turned off by Yeti my buddy ended up getting the "red" Tracer 275c with the Pro build. Coming from an '08 Reign 26er he says it's a world of difference. Today was just a shakedown run. Hopefully I'll get him back out tomorrow. Tried several times to load pics but it kept crashing.

herzalot likes this.
  5. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Intense Tracer 275
    I love mine. A few years ago I went from Foes to Intense and boy was it a game changer. All of a sudden I had confidence I never had before. I could clean steeps that always gave me problems at speed. So when I stumbled on a deal on the carbon T275 I had to get it. It it's definitely a better climber than my 2010 Tracer but I'm sure it's all due to wheel size. I'm really liking the 1x11 system. I've always been a mid-ring masher but I was concerned about not having a bail out gear. So far it hasn't been a problem.

Oh, if you're an aggressive rider, make sure you get an upper chain guide if your running a 1X system.
    IMG_20150826_125201.jpg CAM00408.jpg

Mikie, herzalot, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @rojomas Do you still have your Tracer and do you still love it? What annoyances or disappointments have surfaced?

Mikie and Tom the Bomb like this.
  7. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Ehh... I guess it's that carbon creaks and I wish the stealth hose routing was cleaner, though on my last Tracer the cable routing was a complete mess. I guess the press in type BB and head set are what creak the most. I guess I coulda used more lube while putting it together.

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  8. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    That's one sexy bike! but $9000! damn. I'd feel way too guilty riding that. Let's start a "BITCH ABOUT BIKE PRICES" thread, like that has never been done before.

herzalot likes this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    The Bronson C and the mythical Knolly Warden Carbon have threaded bottom brackets. Perhaps the Transition Patrol as well. That should make the bb a lot quieter. I have heard there are inserts that convert press-fit to threaded, but something will be pressed in.

So other than that, how do you like the performance of the bike? Best features? Worst features?

Mikie likes this.
  10. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Well, to be perfectly honest, I might be somewhat of a retro grouch. I still like 26" wheels, 20mm axles and aluminum frames better. For me my 26" Tracer is more flicksble, stiffer and more predictable. I did San Juan yesterday and I could really tell that I had to muscle it around more. It does climb a lot better through. I have gotten PR's on virtually every climb I've done so far on the 275 without even trying.
    Would I buy it again? Yes, but in aluminum. I don't think I can get around the 275 and 15mm standards.

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @herzalot has done such an excellent job of reviewing bikes when he takes them out for a spin, it just seems prudent to create a forum for these.
    Thus... Bike Reviews...
    Thanks Herz!

12. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    My buddy also got Intense T275C, but he got the factory build. It is the sweetest bike I have seen. He got the Enve package with XX1. He also got the brand ambassador discount, so he got it for 6K.

Mikie, tortoise and herzalot like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Intense are great looking bikes, but the new M-16 just got hammered in Decline magazine both in the solo test and the head to head with its doppelganger the Santa Cruz V-10. The Tracer 275 c gets generally good-to-great reviews, but some folks can't get over the feel of VPP. Seems to be a love-hate relationship with VPP, and Intense seems to be about two iterations behind Santa Cruz.

@Mikie thanks for the props. I now feel compelled to take David Turner up on his offer to loan me an XL RFX for a week. Not sure I have time though. And we know my reviews would be more informative if I used Strava. Instead, I use Knucklebuster...

14. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    I love my new T275c(frameset) which replaced my Carbine. Swapped parts over to T275 frame and I only have about 4 rides on it, but feel like it does everything better. I ride medium size frames and always felt the Carbine ran small. New frame feels bigger and has a slightly longer wheelbase, which I like.

T275-1.JPG

T275-2.JPG

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That thing is sick! But it looks like the Fox stickers fell off the shock and fork! Those 1501s are light, and I am a huge fan of DT Swiss hubs, rims and spokes.

Mikie, Cyclotourist and Bluesrider like this.
  16. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I just heard a rumor.....
    Herz will elaborate soon enough..:rolleyes:

Mikie likes this.
  17. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Thanks. Fork and shock have the stealth stickers, looks great in person just doesn't show in photos.

Mikie, UPSed, rojomas and 1 other person like this.
  18. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Well, I can't speak for the M-16 and I don't know why it got hammered but I usually take bike review with a grain of sand. Especially since the said bikes probably have different components and are set up differently. I personally like the VPP over other designs I've had. And actually if I had the money, I'd like to add the new Uzzi to my quiver. That thing is just badass

19. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Herz I bought a Niner WFO 160 pike and 150 in rear with a monarch plus, I was experiencing the same roughness over the chunder and brake bumps. I was able to dampen most of the harshness out with the monarch but I was not satisfied so I bought a Cane creek dbl barrel air with climb switch. Got a great deal at Bikewagon as a takeoff. It was brand new $450. shipped to my door in 2 days. With the high speed compression and HS rebound I have tuned out almost all of the harshness. In addition I have tuned all the pedal bob out with the low speed compression and rebound. I do not use the switch because the shock works so well. Awesome ride, you may want to try one. The WFO is very flickable and maneuvers like a 26 in. bike. Mine weighs 30.6 lbs with dropper and flats. I do have a carbon wheel set with Hope pro 2 hubs, XX1 cranks with 28 ring, carbon 775 envy bars, 50mm Niner stem, 2,4 Ardents, Nextie carbon fattie rims with XO drive train. I run 25 psi in the rear and 20 in the front with no squirm. This bike climbs way better than my tracer 29r , loves to get air and lands like a cat. Selling my 29r tracer and giant reign 27.5. You cannot go wrong with the BBA and their customer service. AAAAAAnd Bikewagon has a 60 day return Policy! Sealed the deal. I rode the Tracer 27.5 carbon extensively and loved it too . The tracer was my choice until I rode the WFO, I just could not get away from the rollover smoothness of 29in. wheels. The WFO with CCDBA rocks!

wfo and me.jpg

ccdba cs.jpg

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Very cool @Tom the Bomb. I have one of those bad babies (minus the climb switch) on my DH bike and it is BUTTER! I have the CCDB Inline on my Endorphin, and it is very good too - perhaps not quite as good as the piggyback CCDBa-CS.

Sounds like your bike setup is off the hook. A man of my size should probably be riding a 29er, and I've heard and seen fantastic things about the WFO, but every time I ride a 29er - even the new zippy ones - they feel like riding a longboard, or driving a big pickup truck. The gyroscopic effect that wants to stand the bike up is not a feeling I like. I do know that no matter how good a 26 or 27.5 is, a similarly-purposed 29er will crush it like a grape in a straight line - whether on the rocks or on the turf.

Oh - and your fashions in that photo - impeccable, as always!

21. jimmymats

jimmymats Member

Name:
    James Matsubayashi
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo 3
    This is a great thread. Particularly interesting to me, since I also ride a Knolly Endorphin. Love the Endorphin, but the ONLY thing that's gets me thinking about other bikes sometimes is the general climbing ability. It climbs short techy stuff very well, but on bigger rides (which I love to do), it seems to take a lot out of me. Going to the Sedona MTB Festival, so will try a few bikes there. I've been eyeing a Mojo HD3.

herzalot, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  22. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Great thread. I'm running the new Bronson cc that I'm loving. Just moved from the intense t275 and tracer 2 both great bikes. The new vpp link on the Santa Cruz our awesome and really help out with small bump sensitivity with good mid stroke. Like mentioned I think the vpp design is either a lover or hate. This being my 4 vpp bike it's all love on my side.

23. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
  24. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Jimmymats
    I will be out in sedona for this event to. Hope to see you out there should be a fun packed 3 days.

Mikie and jimmymats like this.
  25. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I saw the new Uzzi is starting to trickle out and wonder if the tracer will have some similar updates soon (isn't the current Tracer a couple years old now)? To my (untrained) eye, the lower link sticks down below the BB on the Tracer, but not on the Uzzi. Of course that could just be the geo and fitting everything in on different travel bikes and geo, but the Uzzi has gone to Boost 148 so maybe that gave them more room to change the lower link placement? Just curious if any rumors of a Tracer update coming...

Mikie and Tom the Bomb like this.
  26. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    You can see the link sticks down some not as much as the tracer but more then Santa Cruz. The 2016 aluminum tracer t275 frame has boost spacing in the rear but for 2016 the tracer frame is not built in the usa. I heard the carbon frame was not getting update this coming up year time will tell. I hope for a uzzi frame deal at the end of the year this would be a great big bear bike.

rps20160217_175947.jpg

27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I agree - the Knolly suspension excels at climbing chunk - for as long as your heart, lungs and legs can take it. There is little doubt that the HD3 will be a better fireroad climber than a Knolly. The HD3 is also a riot going with gravity instead of against it. The dimensions don't work well for me, however. Otherwise, it would be towards the top of the list.

@jimmymats, perhaps consider one of the many playful full-sus 29ers if you want to cover large distances or keep up with others who are similarly equipped. I personally don't mind giving up some of that range or speed to avoid the serious gyroscopic effect of the big wheels pulling the bike upright, or resisting leaning over.

28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yes - I think there is a Tracer update coming. I believe Intense is about two iterations of VPP behind Santa Cruz. I will guarantee that if I were to purchase a Tracer, the new version would be released within a month of my purchase. It's the Herzalot Corollary of Murphy's Law. That's similar to the problem of boost you posed in another thread. If you know something new is coming, you never pull the trigger for fear of missing out on the next thing.

All I know is my "obsolete" aluminum 26er is a blast to ride. But so was the "nearly obsolete" Tracer T275C. Bikes are fun!

Mikie and knucklebuster like this.
  29. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    The Tracer is an awesome bike as is regardless if an update is coming soon. And boost 148 is not a big deal for 27.5 in my eyes, except the wheels don't swap (easily) with 142. Worthy of a trigger pull if you're ready!

And yeah thank goodness our Al 26ers are still fun as heck and there's no great pressure to pull that trigger until you've done all the research and ridden enough of them and figured out what's best for you... I haven't, (yet) :)

herzalot, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  30. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    @herz I do not feel the gyro on the WFO. The shock and linkage are relatively low so the bike leans very easily. There is no chopper feeling either. Not sure how they got that right with the slack head angle they are running but it sure turns quick. The HD3 geo did not fit me either.